Rifle Scopes Looking for input pros and cons of ACOG TA11J308-G v ELCAN Specter DR 1-4x and 1.5-6

NoQuarter#121

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2013
I have done a couple of searches and cant seem to find the right balance of info on these optics.

I have a .308 SCAR that I want to put a nice optic on.

These are the sights I am interested in

ACOG TA111J308-G 3.5 x 35 (green reticle crosshair)

ELCAN Specter DR 1-4x

ELCAN Specter DR 1.5-6x

Please give me your opinion on the 3 scopes I listed.

Close and mid range target acquisition out to 150yrds

Target clarity past 150 out to 600yrds (the limit of my local range)

Please feel free to offer advice in any fashion.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

i can only speak about trijicon, but not the acog you listed in particular. i use a 4x32 bac ta31a at work. its 0'd at 300m but thats on a 5.56, so is the one you mentioned. you have a .308 and you want to reach out and touch 600m. look into the trijicon 6x48 acog. we got bored and put it on a 240b and were able to rain hell well past 600m. we pissed off all the snipers from another battalion :)

Reactions: Itsadryheat
I have the SCAR 17 as well and went through an extremely annoying process until I finally figured out what glass to get.

It really depends on your philosophy of use. If a true 1x is not important to you, the ACOG or the Elcan 1.5-6x may be the way to go.

I went with the limited edition FDE Elcan 1-4x (7.62 BDC reticle), as FOV was important to me at 1x (almost 150 ft vs. 100 ft for most glass) and did not want to struggle with different magnification levels on each eye ( the case being a 3.5x ACOG and shooting with both eyes open). It also gives me capabilities out to 400 or 500 yards, which was the max shooting distance I set-up for. I also value the 32mm objective on the Elcan because it is very usable at night even without NV. The 6x Elcan is even more usable at night with its 42mm objective. I like the red dot and separately illuminated reticle on Elcans while the ACOG only has the aiming point lit. On the other hand, you don’t have to worry about batteries on the ACOG. People have a love/hate relationship with the Elcan. However, I can tell you that all the negatives you read about relate to older models. The newer ones, including mine, have no POI, zero hold or mounting issues and are built like tanks. The compact size and where it mounts on the rail keeps the weight centered vs. making the rifle nose heavy with bigger/longer optics. Not to mention the Elcan has some of the best glass next to Swarovski.

I really like the idea of 1-6 or 8x optics, but I get really turned off by the 24mm objectives they use. They are limited in use during pre-dawn, dusk and night because they don't capture enough light. Also, when putting QD mounts on these optics, they are typically heavier than the Elcan. You must really evaluate how you intend to use the SCAR, what glass fits your use and go that direction. My philosophy was SHTF, capabilities from 0-500yds, ruggedness, CQB, illumination, superior light gathering ability and superior optical qualities all in a compact scope. These things compounded led me to get the Elcan.

My father has a TA11-J308G on his LMT MWS. It is a great scope. It's easy to shoot with both eyes open. The optical clarity is great too.

Eye relief is way better than the 4x ACOG. I used to have a TA31. I like the TA11 a lot more. The only downside is the size.

I think it's a great optic choice for the SCAR H. Never thought I'd say this about an ACOG, but it's a good values compared to the high end variables and ELCAN models.

I've been running the 1-4 Elcan for almost a year now and am completely sold on it. I've use it for daylight, night, and shooting with NODs and its been great. I can put a PVS22 in front of it and run the reticle lit up. With the dot turned up its the best 1x scope I've run and is very forgiving on eye position. I was not a fan of the ARMs mount they use, but you can get the upgrade to the MKII levers from them which is a big improvement. I've not used the 1.5-6 yet but have been thinking about trying it out.

I ran an ACOG for several deployments and really like them, but they are old and the eye relief sucks. You are looking at about 1.5" on the ACOG with 2.75" on the Elcan. The 3.5 ACOG is around 2" which is better, but its heavier than the RCO.

Elcan 1-4X
great glass vs Acog good glass, just made the change from 2 Acogs into 2 elcans a few months ago- not going back...it is only $$, if you shoot alot glass is cheap compared to components!
red dot or reticle --- battery no tritium to run out plus you have a reticle if you run out of battery vs red dot
@1x nice CQB
4x fine @ medium range
std arms are fine if you do not plan on flipping it on and off alot, if so upgrade as mentioned earlier

The ELCAN is a SMOKING HOT optic, big eye box, fast target acquisition, the glass is top of the line, and built to take a lot of abuse and keep going. The TA11 are nice but the ELCAN beat it. I would also recommend looking at 1-6x scopes like the Leupold Mark 6 1-6x, Vortex 1-6x, Kahles 1-6, and the Swarovski 1-6x.

We stock a lot of scopes so if we can be of help let me know.

Mike @ CSTACTICAL