• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

m14 magazines in a bolt gun

Duff

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2010
Laramie, Wyoming
im building up a mauser and i plan to convert the bottom metal to use m14 magazines. i want to find some really cheap magazines that are decent quality (need to be able to actually hold 10 rounds) perferably able to run 2.85 OAL. ive heard that some magazines cant is that true? i would like mags under $25. are 9.14 or national magazine good enough? they dont need to run well in an m14 they just have to not break.

Re: m14 magazines in a bolt gun

I belive either GAP or RD Precision...one of the highly respected Snipers Hide gunsmith's put alot of effort to try to run the M14 mags.....they were just not able to do so if I remember right.

I will try and find it using the search function!!
laugh.gif

I had a Robar QR2 that had the M14 mag conversion and I did not care for it. It took quite a bit of force to strip a round from the magazine. The AICS mag systems out there now are much better.

Don't reinvent the wheel. Trust me.

There's a thread on here about doing this exact thing and making the bottom metal accept M14 mags. It takes some welding to make it work though, you have to cut the bottom metal in half, trim some material out and reweld it to get the mag well the right length.

If you're going to go through all that work, I'd take a hard look at the DPMS mags, like was mentioned above.

You might also take a look at BAR magazines (the real BAR, not that sissy thing that Browning sells today) and see if they can be used, since the ammo OAL on those is more like 3.2" to hold GI Spec 30-06 ammo. You can shoot WSM's from those with a little fiddling of the feed lips, they're going to hold 308's like a champ.

My Rem700PSS has an Armalon conversion to accept M14 magazines. It works ok, not as slick as a more modern factory gun with a single stack magazine, but good enough for fast, high round count details without reloading, which was the point of the conversion.

Yes, this is the reason most often cited why M14 magazines don't mate up well to bolt actions.

I have often wondered whether this issue might be addressable from a different direction.

Might it be possible to develop an adapter that mounts beneath the action and forms a transition piece between the two components?

I do not have the resources to develop such a thing, but gladly put the idea out there gratis for those who might wish to tackle the concept and bring it to fruition. If you can, I'd be grateful for a few that would work with a Savage action. I might also point out that Savage still sells a single shot target action that is produced with a completely untouched bottom section.

Greg

here is the link to the conversion i want to do. just in case yall were wondering. its not as descriptive as i would like so im going to make a better post of it. he does mention the mag he used but i want ones that are on the cheap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might it be possible to develop an adapter that mounts beneath the action and forms a transition piece between the two components?

I do not have the resources to develop such a thing, but gladly put the idea out there gratis for those who might wish to tackle the concept and bring it to fruition. If you can, I'd be grateful for a few that would work with a Savage action. I might also point out that Savage still sells a single shot target action that is produced with a completely untouched bottom section.

Greg </div></div> there are some magazines out there that can do this. the problem is it isnt really worth the $45 price tag. they only hold 5 rounds and the look pretty cumbersome to take out (there are two buttons on the side near the middle of the mag that you have to squeeze to pull out)

i just got in a springfield armory mag. it works well with my 2.85s. the price is still a bit high for me though (33.99) i want to find some dirt cheap ones.

I saw a gentleman using a home made adaptor on his savage at the local tac. match in Sagus. Since you're in SoCal you might want to check it out. The range is called a place to shoot in Sagus.

I have a friend who is a master machinist, we spent a lot of time and sleepless nights in his shop trying to make a M14 mag work on Mauser actions. We had some success but what we were doing was taking off to much metal to be safe,tried to modify the mags with some success but nothing that we would call safe to shoot. We never tried Rem 700's because they were lacking in metal to start with. I would like to see someone come up with a good safe set up for M14 or BAR mags myself. My 2 cents