• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

M14A value

Huffman100-10x

Private
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2014
Hey guys I've been a service rifle competitor for a while, and am trying to get into shooting .308, my coach is selling an M14A, the reciever is marked ( U.S RIFlE 7.62mm M14A FED. ORD. INC. So. EL MONTE, CA. ) I have no clue on the value, I've seen similar rifles go from $750 to $1800 but non of the are the M14A's, just trying to make the guy a fair offer, I don't want to rip him off

If you Google Federal Ordnance M14A you will find they don't have a good reputation for being in spec. I would do some more research before buying it.

Ok thanks, I found out it was the early model with gi parts and not the junk Chinese parts, so it should be a good rifle

They sold bare receivers etc for people to build on as well. So some numb nuts could've assembled it with whatever parts he had on hand. However if it is owned by a friend and it is a known-good shooter you are probably fine.

LRB and James River Armory are making the top of line forged m14 receiver clones, but SAI and Fulton Armory make great cast receivers too. You can't go wrong with any of them. Just pick your price point and go with it. SAI has the best lifetime warranty in the business; if it breaks, they'll fix it free and pay for shipping both ways to boot.

The supply of USGI parts are almost all gone, you'll pay double for worn USGI parts and triple or more for NOS USGI parts if you can ever locate them. Most of the commercial parts are quite serviceable and some are better than the USGI ever were. Collectors are the only guys paying top dollar for USGI now days. Not worth it in my opinion.

A standard M14 clone is a 2 to 3 MOA rifle, an SAI M1A loaded will readily shoot 1 to 1.5 MOA with an occasional sub MOA group and a National Match will shoot 1 MOA all day long. Try out your coach's rifle and see what it can do; better yet, have him try it out and you see what he can do with it. Expect to pay $1500 to $2200 for a solid 1 MOA shooter.

There is a lot of variables in the M1A market for parts / receivers and who cranked it together. If you know its a "good" rifle then there is little risk involved if the price is right. USGI parts are desirable but have dried up and not worth a premium price now IMHO. If you purchase any Springfield Armory rifle it carries a lifetime warranty so if anything breaks they fix it free and pick up the shipping costs both ways. Look at the end cost then decide.

I would much rather have the new Springfield Armory rifle than a questionable build rifle if I could not thoroughly inspect it 1st.