• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing M40 Stock

DLBlack

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
Any new or recent source for a M40 stock? I've tried the ADL with pressed checkering route, but even after steaming the checkering out the best I can it takes to much sanding for the proper shape. Suggestions? Anyone know of one for sale? Thanks, Dave.

Re: M40 Stock

Thanks Ray, does this one not have the typical BDL forend cap? They don't have a photo on the site. I already have a couple of aluminum butt plates, but thanks for the offer.

The stock will not have a tenite tip and forend is not rounded but finished at a rearward angle. Same pattern as the mid to late 80's ADL stock but without cut checkering and with BDL bottom metal cut. Actually the pattern used on the first 700P from 85ish until early 90's and prior to them installing HS's on the 700P. If you want it to look exactly like an M40 stock you will have to reshape forend tip. Also it has a satin finish so then you can remove entire finish job and apply a no gloss oil finish like tung oil.

Here is a 40-X 22RF standard barreled receiver I built.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2158874&page=1

Photos would be wonderful, I want to get this right the first time. Again, thanks for your help on this. Strange thing about the stock, when I search "Remington 700 stock" through Numrich, this stock is not listed. I put in the item number and it goes to it.

On mine the metal of rear tang doesn't fit quite right as the receiver of the 40-X is a 722 based receiver. The tang of the 722 has more depth than the 700/40-XB so the fit isn't perfect.