• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Mathematical formula for ballistic chart to use in Excel?

jdknotts1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Is there a mathematical formula to copy and paste into Excel to make your own ballistic table form your own data?

I'm wondering because none of the ballistic tables seem to match up with my DOPE. And when I attempt to manipulate the data, some of it will match up, and some will not. Any way to plug known data into Excel and "true" it on your own?

I only have access to 600yds and would like to use my data up to that to predict where it will be at extended ranges I don't have access to.

Formulas

JD: What bullets are you interested in, and what data do you have? Using velocity measurements on high power rifles, I have several formulas and spread sheets, but none online. For pistols, I don't know if the rifle formulas as written would work but math is easy to change if we can find it. If pistols, is the data in Ballistics Charts, Tables & Information | Sportsman's Guide relevant to the problem?

Check out http://www.analyticalrifleist.com/

Is there a mathematical formula to copy and paste into Excel to make your own ballistic table form your own data?

Last edited:
Me thinks Excel won't do Calculus...especially complex diffy-Ques.

Most run integrals up the ying yang others get into weird differential equasion land I think.
I think that applied ballistics software uses Runge Kutta integral method which is an explosion of differential equasions.
I would love to dig into the mathematical guts of some of these programs and find out how to "science that shit"
There is a good book on the math part of it by Arthur Pejsa. But you kinda need a good base of trig and calculus to inderatand it other wise it is "you talk like a fag and your shit is all fucked up" moment.

• Haha
Reactions: crispy
Petrov,

You are correct in your description of many ballistics solvers, many start from the modified point mass equation in Robert Mccoy's classsic tome on ballistics. JBM uses the modified point mass method I believe. Mccoy's book is great although chock full of mistakes but there is an errata sheet on the web that covers most of the errors in the book. I have done a fair amount of this type of work and put my own solver together in 4 full 8-hour days, the geometry was the hardest portion of the whole program.

Pejsa uses some very clever approximations that yield a decent ballistics solver written at a time when we did not have huge computing capabilities in tiny little packages as we do today.

Pejsa has always been "close enough" for my purposes.

While it can appear to render data that does not match up to experience, in nearly all my instances, the error was mine. Garbage in equals garbage out.

My "garbage in" usually stems from errors while inputting scope height, altitude, or muzzle velocity. When I still get inconsistencies after doing my best to refine my errors, I start tweaking the MV, and the solutions tend to realign closer to experience. This is actually a better means for finding true MV for my purposes.

I will always trust the target over any calculation, reality in equals reality out.

For me, the best approach seems to be that Pejsa will get me close to the POA, but sighters are needed to finalize the solution. Since I don't need a first round hit, it's "good enough to go" for me.

Perfection is the enemy of good enough (Voltaire?).

Greg

Last edited:
Formulas: No stinkin' calculus needed for Pejsa

Pejsa has always been "close enough" for my purposes.

I understand the Pejsa approximation to be the same as the exponential velocity-distance profile,
V(X) = Vz exp( - Q X) where Vz is the muzzle velocity , X range, Q the data fitting parameter that implicitly includes ballistic cofficient, air density and such.

For this approximation, from The Analytical Rifleist - Home, the drop as a function of range is (negative for down)

Drop = A*X - G*(exp(2 Q X)- 2 Q X - 1) / (4 Q**2 VZ**2) where A is the tangent of the barrel angle.

The exponential profile works pretty well for modern rifles, though not at well as the parabolic. It is starting to seriously unzipper at 500 yds. You can tell if it works from the degree of fit to the velocity data.

If JDKNOTTS1 is interested in pistol velocities, we need some data to see if the approximation is useable.

Mathematical formula for ballistic chart to use in Excel?

I'm going to do you a favor here. This has already been created and is available on google drive shared file. There is a guy on you tube who is perpetually updating this. You'll want to subscribe. Look up: meccastreisand

Here is the files:

https://ballisticxlr.com/ballisticxlr-support/

Here is the video when it was first released. It gives you the run down of what to enter, which isn't a bunch of stuff.

Here is the latest video of the latest updates.

Hope this helps. Why recreate the wheel when it has already been done? I used to use JBS ballistics and copy and paste into excell. This sue as shit bears that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to bring this back from the nearly dead.

The Ballistic_XLR spreadsheet mentioned above by Kirkd is maintained by me. You can get free support at Ballistic_XLR | Ballistics, Long Range Precision Shooting and Gun Rights, email to [email protected] or PM on YouTube or comment on a video or any number of other ways.

As a matter of pride and honesty, let me be clear that this is a modification of the Pejsa spreadsheet with consultation and table layout from TiborasaurusRex and others. I did a ton of work on it but others started it.

The latest version as of this writing is v3.0.5 (about to publish 3.0.7). It now supports full metric units of measure for those in zip code foreign. I rarely make it to the hide (work, shooting, Ballistic_XLR keep me busy). If anyone has a feature request or bug report please contact me outside the hide (email is best) so I don't leave you hanging.

Each version usually gets a little video introduction to the differences. I trust that the guys here should know how to fill it out but if you need help please don't hesitate to ask. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LQyBEsVcZU this is the video for the latest update.

Ballistic_XLR will always be free to download and general support is free.