• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

MDT HNT26 LOP spacer - a different solution

jxb

Private
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2024
Oregon
Trying to judge how much interest there might be in a LOP spacer for the HNT26. This would be in the XTN interface between the action and buttstock.

As most folks familiar with them know, the LOP is quite short and adding their spacers at the shoulder end isn't optimal. If you add many you not only add the weight but you're moving away from the cheek rest. IMO it would be better to add a LOP spacer between the action and buttstock. MDT uses their XTN interface so a spacer would require a male/female tube with a bolt extension to accommodate the spacer. Yes this does mean the rifle while folded would be longer by the length of the spacer. There is no option to add the spacer behind the folder as it is epoxied in place at that end. My understanding from MDT is all variations of the HNT26 use the XTN interface so a spacer should fit any of the variations.

Given that factory LOP is 12.5" I'm thinking about spacers of 1" and/or 1.5". This would allow the user to do fine adjustments with the standard MDT LOP spacers if needed. My thoughts are keep it modular so a person can make add/remove as desired, just needing the wrench (ball-hex on folders).

I could of course get my local machinist to simply make one for me but I noticed lots of folks here and other sites wishing there was longer LOP or a better solution than the factory spacers. I talked to MDT about it and while they have no plans to make one, they appear to support a 3rd party project to make them. The issue now becomes is there enough interest to justify a small batch cnc order while keeping end user pricing similar to what we see for similar accessories.

If you might have interest in something like this please respond saying so and what length you'd prefer.