• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Mid-length gas port length - 6.5 creedmoor

Steven Martin

Private
Minuteman
May 5, 2024
California
First post here!

I read a post on the hide that stated the fallowing:

“intermediate is going to give you way too much dwell time, going to tear up brass with a 6.5 Creed with normal burn rate powders used with 6.5 Creed.
Rifle or +1" gas system may well have more port erosion but isn't going to be any harder on the brass then trying to extract case while chamber pressure is higher”.

My question is that since I reload, and would be using faster burning powder, would this offset the problem that exists when using standard ammo, with a mid length gas port?

First post here!

I read a post on the hide that stated the fallowing:

“intermediate is going to give you way too much dwell time, going to tear up brass with a 6.5 Creed with normal burn rate powders used with 6.5 Creed.
Rifle or +1" gas system may well have more port erosion but isn't going to be any harder on the brass then trying to extract case while chamber pressure is higher”.

My question is that since I reload, and would be using faster burning powder, would this offset the problem that exists when using standard ammo, with a mid length gas port?

It depends on the barrel length but generally if you have too much dwell you won't be able to handload your way around it. The fix is to cut the end off of the barrel.