• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes MIL or MOA Reticle for Scope

Ooops. Three

AC0081D6-24FE-43D2-8707-EE0BDD72832D.jpeg

Cool. Centimeter conversion is just moving the decimal. From inches you still need to convert to mm to range the target in meters. My point is, the actual math for using a mil reticle to range your target in meters, uses mm. That’s what I first stated. How YOU get to mm is irrelevant. I don’t care if you want to convert millimeters to kilometers back to centimeters and then back on to millimeters.

Cool. Centimeter conversion is just moving the decimal. From inches you still need to to convert to mm to range the target in meters. My point is, the actual math for using a mil reticle to range your target in meters, uses mm. That’s what I first stated. How YOU get to mm is irrelevant. I don’t care if you want to convert millimeters to kilometers back to centimeters and then back on to millimeters.

Yes, in a pure mathematical level, the 25.4 is conversion from inches to mm.

If you go around stating we are using mm, you will confuse the shit out of 99.9% if anyone. Therefore it is advised not to even mention it.

You’ll get a debate that you were never actually in mm because you never assigned any value mm.

Basically, you’re trying to explain it in an ankles to get to your asshole point of view.

Yes, in a pure mathematical level, the 25.4 is conversion from inches to mm.

If you go around stating we are using mm, you will confuse the shit out of 99.9% if anyone. Therefore it is advised not to even mention it.

You’ll get a debate that you were never actually in mm because you never assigned any value mm.

Basically, you’re trying to explain it in an ankles to get to your asshole point of view.

Yeah IDK.
It's a pretty simple concept, if people can't understand it ?‍♀️

In a thread you created Dthomas3523, you stated the importance of bringing centrefire logic to .22.
A pretty simple concept that makes 100% sense and no one elsed voiced.

In this thread you remark how people didn't have second thoughts about the mil/moa combo when it was standard.

instead of cm/mils * 10,
why not mm/mils.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tokay444
Shoot what you know best. If you aren’t going to spend decent time with it then stick with what you know. I prefer MOA and it works great for me but I would be just as good or better with mil but I’m mainly focused on hunting and don’t see a need to change.

Reactions: Centuriator
Yeah IDK.

In a thread you created Dthomas3523, you stated the importance of bringing centrefire logic to .22.

In this thread you remark how people didn't have second thoughts about the mil/moa combo when it was standard.

instead of cm/mils * 10,
why not mm/mils.

Didn’t you see the part where I said he could start a thread or a trend to change it?

If his way is better, then I say go for it.

How many Europeans here think in mm over cm though? Serious question.

My experience is everyone except people such as machinists and engineers tend to use CM.

So, he would first need to get most of them thinking in mm. Otherwise it’s a moot point.

Yeah IDK.

instead of cm/mils * 10,
why not mm/mils.

Not to mention, reticle ranging is a legacy skill and should be avoided at all costs.

So, we are talking about changing a trend in something that almost never happens anymore.

Thinking in millimetres is not a big a deal, and I'd say most people could cope if kept in a 4 digit range.
legacy skill or not, why not refine the math and process?

Reactions: Tokay444
I haven’t measured anything in cm since I left elementary school.
I’m a machinist and an Applications Engineer.
Inches, or millimeters.
Multiply your inches by 25.4 and you have mm. Divide by mils and you have your meter range. Centimeters never enter into it.
If you say you're a machinist you don't use inches. You use the mil of the inch. You use the thou. Spoken as someone who uses the snobby version of the thou... the tenth.

Thinking in millimetres is not a big a deal, and I'd say most people could cope if kept in a 4 digit range.
legacy skill or not, why not refine the math and process?

Same reason we aren’t continuing to refine unsupported shooting.

Waste of time. Energy is much better spent refining something else.

If you say you're a machinist you don't use inches. You use the mil of the inch. You use the thou. Spoken as someone who uses the snobby version of the thou... the tenth.
I use millionths if you want to splits hairs, but everything is measured in decimal inches. 1.479585"

Didn’t you see the part where I said he could start a thread or a trend to change it?

If his way is better, then I say go for it.

How many Europeans here think in mm over cm though? Serious question.

My experience is everyone except people such as machinists and engineers tend to use CM.

So, he would first need to get most of them thinking in mm. Otherwise it’s a moot point.

If you give me the target size in cm, I'm going to automatically convert to mm in about a second in my head before I divide by the mils that subtend the target. That makes solving the range equation even faster.

If you give me the target size in cm, I'm going to automatically convert to mm in about a second in my head before I divide by the mils that subtend the target. That makes solving the range equation even faster.

That gets you a range in meters. Do you use meters? I know very few people in the states that use meters for ranges. Never been given a range in meters in shooting 17 years of matches. All yards. Never used meters myself. No need but guess you could easy enough by just changing the output in your ballistic program. But then if given a range at a match you would have to convert every stage. Know one guy that does it and it's a pain in the ass and uses precious brain cells needed to shoot. Lol

That gets you a range in meters. Do you use meters? I know very few people in the states that use meters for ranges. Never been given a range in meters in shooting 17 years of matches. All yards. Never used meters myself. No need but guess you could easy enough by just changing the output in your ballistic program. But then if given a range at a match you would have to convert every stage. Know one guy that does it and it's a pain in the ass and uses precious brain cells needed to shoot. Lol

It was a hypothetical answer to a hypothetical discussion.

But if you want to know, it would bother me none if the US government declared by law and executive order than the US will convert 100% to metric overnight. Cold-fucking-turkey.

People will bitch, but they will change and will get over it.

Many industries already run metric anyway. And most that don't can convert pretty easily.