• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Most cost effecive rifle build.. Choices:

Tomekeuro85

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2007
Chicago Suburbs, IL
Which would be the best way to go about this... I want a good .260 multi-purpose rifle but Im having a lot of trouble.

A regular trued 700 action is just fine for me. some kind of match barrel, im sure they're all about the same. Badger bottom metal, stock rem trigger, with HS precision stock.

1. buy a new Rem 700sps tactical ($575). Sell the stock, barrel, and bottom metal. Get a new stock (hs precision like the 700P), and get the action trued and a new barrel installed in .260 with badger bottom metal.

2. Buy a new rem 700P ($900), keep everything the same except sell the barrel and put on a new barrel with truing and badger bottom metal.

3. Buy all components separately. 700 action, hs stock, badger bottom metal, barrel, etc. (all new, not used, for the sake of apples to apples) and send them to a gunsmith for assembly.

Thanks. Slowly but surely I'm trying to get something set up that would be a pretty accurate, reliable all around rifle for any purpose. I've decided .260rem or possibly 6.5CM but thats unimportant at this stage.

Re: Most cost effecive rifle build.. Choices:

From what I can tell you'll save maybe $150-$200 by using a 700 receiver, having it trued, etc. You're looking at about $600 for a receiver and having it trued and about $750 for something like a surgeon RSR. Why not go custom??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KPK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what I can tell you'll save maybe $150-$200 by using a 700 receiver, having it trued, etc. You're looking at about $600 for a receiver and having it trued and about $750 for something like a surgeon RSR. Why not go custom?? </div></div>

I wouldn't mind that for a slightly higher price...

From what I know (correct me if I'm wrong) GAP will true an action and install and chamber a barrel for $350. plus the cost of the barrel (lets say $300) and the cost of the action/trigger ($410)

That all comes to $1060.

If it only saves me 200 in the end vs a custom action, id much rather do custom.

Would a custom action have to be trued? Like a Lawton 7000 or like you said a surgeon, stiller, etc?

No the custom action doesn't. So it'll be action $750-$780, Barrel $300, Chamber $150-$200, Trigger $125. That's $1,355-$1,405, but you have a custom action and maybe a Timney trigger for $295 more...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RSR.

Done.

41 </div></div>

That's what I did! Here's my parts so far...right at $1,800 in it so far.

IMG_0930.jpg

Oh you also need to factor in if you want a bolt knob, spirals on the bolt, one piece bolt, etc. That could cost a few hundred...

Oh you also need to factor in if you want a bolt knob, spirals on the bolt, one piece bolt, etc. That could cost a few hundred...

Keep your eye out for something in the For Sale section already built that meets your specs. Seems pretty common to see 700 260's floating out there. Be patient and you'll get exactly what you are looking for and won't have to deal with all the other crap that goes into a build.

But if a build is what you want.. hit up a pawn shop and look for a used action/gun for a steal and build'er up.

Good luck!
Hawk

I really envy you guys over in the USA, A few weeks back I was quoted $2400 for a Surgeon 591 action! KPK has a stock, barrel, action and base and he comes in $600 cheaper!

Shakes head....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jamesz71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">piece by piece

kicks the cost up in the end,but you will get what you want </div></div>
+1

Surgeon actions are the best, you won't be dissapointed.

if you go with option one, dont pay the extra money for the tactical if you are just using the action. get an adl or something from a gun show, you could easily stay in the $300 range there.

Don't know if you're cast in stone on Remington, if not- Savage has a new line of target models.

The 12LRP in .260 is mine- as soon as I can find one. Don't know if they haven't been released yet, or are just selling/sold out as fast as they come in.

Standard with H-S Precision stock, Accutrigger, and heavy fluted 26" barrel. Looks like a hell of a deal.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't know if you're cast in stone on Remington, if not- Savage has a new line of target models.

The 12LRP in .260 is mine- as soon as I can find one. Don't know if they haven't been released yet, or are just selling/sold out as fast as they come in.

Standard with H-S Precision stock, Accutrigger, and heavy fluted 26" barrel. Looks like a hell of a deal.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/</div></div>
I have basically the same gun in 6br. Have shot lots of groups in the .1's and a couple in the .09's. I replaced the trigger with a rifle basix. It really is a great gun for the money. It's a single shot and not very "tactical" though.

The RSR definitely looks awesome.

In my situation, i calculated about $500 more to go the RSR route instead of the 700 trued route.

Considering this isn't my "dream" rifle, I'm thinking what if I Just save that $500 for something else...

Whats happening is my friend and I are building identical rifles.. Something decent that will allow us to hunt and shoot up to 600yards with sub moa accuracy.

Watch the sales here, I've seen several R700 actions that could be donor actions go for good prices. Since you can start with a .308 action if you are patient you should be able to save several hundred there. After that you can send it to your smith of choice to get it trued and mounted with a new barrel. You've done the pricing checks on that part.

I think that would be the most economical way if you're not in a hurry. The actions probably pop up before you could get your barrel in anyway.

If you go the SPS route, be aware that selling those parts (IF you can sell them), isnt going to yield you much.

The stock for example, there are pages of SPS stocks for sale on ebay. They are cheap hunks of crap. If you do sell it, expect a couple saw bucks for it.

I like my Borden Alpine - ALOT.

If on a VERY tight budget, look at the Howa actions.

Lastly, a Ruger Creedmoor Target 77 is not a bad way for a 6.5.

$410 plus $200 (true) = $610 + $150 (bolt flute/big knob, you know you will do it) = $760...just saying. Plus theirs paint if it's a chromoly receiver.you do have the trigger, but one of those will go for $40-$50 prolly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really envy you guys over in the USA, A few weeks back I was quoted $2400 for a Surgeon 591 action! KPK has a stock, barrel, action and base and he comes in $600 cheaper!

Shakes head.... </div></div>

That includes the trigger as well! $2,400 is crazy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KPK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$410 plus $200 (true) = $610 + $150 (bolt flute/big knob, you know you will do it) = $760...just saying. Plus theirs paint if it's a chromoly receiver.you do have the trigger, but one of those will go for $40-$50 prolly </div></div>

I see what you mean...

But, GAP price would be $350 to install, chamber, true, and crown a barrel/action. Plus the $410 action. Plus the $315 barrel... $1075

Compare that to their price of $250 to install and chamber a barrel on a good action, plus the $780 action and a$315 barrel and a $125 trigger... $1470

Yea id love the Surgeon, but this isn't planned to be a "Mega" rifle... just something sufficient, but better than a factory rifle. the $400 can be used to tool up for reloading .260 and make a bunch of ammo for it

My mind isnt made up just yet though. How much advantage will I get with the surgeon vs a trued 700?

Probably not much advantage other than a better bolt, tighter tolerances, and resale value (I would think???). I understand what you are saying...I was in this position just the other day. If you could hang out and buy a good barreled action in the classifieds that could really save you some cash.

everyone is acting like there is something wrong with a trued 700. if that route is cheaper for you, go for it. it will still perform. last time i checked, fluting on your bolt and a knob arent necessities like some people seem to think!

Ok.

So thats what I'm going to do I think.

Just get the Rem 700 and get it trued. Realistically, shooting off a bipod, i highly doubt I'll see a difference between the RSR and a trued 700.

The bolt knob I can do myself luckily... Aside from that just have to decide on a stock. Again, nothing crazy. I see a lot of really good rifles use the Bell and Carlson stocks... Not the best in the world, but for my purpose will do the job just fine I think.

YES! Finally making some progress towards a finished rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chickeneye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">everyone is acting like there is something wrong with a trued 700. if that route is cheaper for you, go for it. it will still perform. last time i checked, fluting on your bolt and a knob arent necessities like some people seem to think! </div></div>

I agree with both of you. I'm just different and kind of high maintenance. I started my build the same way...B&C stock, trued rem, good barrel, old style rem trigger, etc. Just got a little ahead of myself, lol...

Tom,

I would be inclined to go piece by piece... buy once cry once and have what you want from the start and dont have to piss fart around with selling components to fund other stuff.

I agree on getting a surgeon action, hoping for one myself for my next build.

Vin

I found a 700 action w/trigger, 308 blank, and an unused chasssis here for $550 less than what it would have cost
to buy parts new---wanted a 6.5 but everyone else was switching
to 6.5 so a 308 was the way to go for me--the bolt knob and trigger were already done also---will get a 6.5 on my next build
or when it's re-barrel time---purchased lots of brass and bullets with $$ saved---hope to see yours when finished

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KPK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$410 plus $200 (true) = $610 + $150 (bolt flute/big knob, you know you will do it) = $760...just saying. Plus theirs paint if it's a chromoly receiver.you do have the trigger, but one of those will go for $40-$50 prolly </div></div>

I see what you mean...

But, GAP price would be $350 to install, chamber, true, and crown a barrel/action. Plus the $410 action. Plus the $315 barrel... $1075

Compare that to their price of $250 to install and chamber a barrel on a good action, plus the $780 action and a$315 barrel and a $125 trigger... $1470

Yea id love the Surgeon, but this isn't planned to be a "Mega" rifle... just something sufficient, but better than a factory rifle. the $400 can be used to tool up for reloading .260 and make a bunch of ammo for it

My mind isnt made up just yet though. How much advantage will I get with the surgeon vs a trued 700? </div></div>

RSR action machined better, has one-piece bolt, double pinned recoil lug/scope mount= $860 vs R700 $410 plus $200 (true) = $610 + $150 bolt flute + $115 bolt knob = $875
I found my action here on hide with scope rail and large knob for $800shipped.

for your situation, i would buy an sps varmint or sps tactical and then true the action and replace the stock, bed some ken farrel bases and rings into it and some nice glass and call it good. If the rifle isnt shooting maybe bed it but i dnt think that it is necessary to do unless you see some fault in the rifle. If you are really set on the match grade barrel, then just buy the action from brownells but I have a rifle that started life as an sps varmint, was put into a mcmillan stock with ken farrel bases and rings (bedded in of course) and it is about to be trued but even untrued it shoots just above .5 moa (.51-.60 is what im getting) with the occasional .25 moa group. the remington factory barrels are really very good.

also, while fluted bolts look cool and are ideal for very very cold weather condition because of the decrease in the surface area that is in contact with the receiver and therefore less freezing, they really dont do anything other than chew up your brass more than usual and cost you money so unless you hunt in siberia i wouldnt waste the time or money getting that done.

as for the surgeon vs a trued 700 action, it depends on how good your gunsmith can true you action. The only thing that is better about the surgeon is that it has tighter tolerances and is more "perfect" since it is not super mass produced in a factory which naturally brings about looser tolerances. However, if you can get a good gunsmith to true your action, then the the remington 700 action is just as good as the surgeon if not better.

Quote "I've decided .260rem or possibly 6.5CM but thats unimportant at this stage."

Just a thought here... Picking the cartridge and bullet now may save you time/money and headache later. Say you want to shoot long VLD's, did you get the right twist barrel ? Will the action magazine accept the oal length you need? I was taught to pick the specific cartridge and bullet and then build around it. Been there.. made that mistake too. Anyway, just a thought. TM

If you get a 700 or Model 7 in a 22-250,7mm08,243,or 308 you will have no trouble getting the 6.5CM to work.I used a Model 7 youth in a 243 for my Creedmoor and it does fine.The advantages to using a 700 is more stock and base selections.To me rifles are like hotrods,I would rather have an ugly one that shot good than a pretty one that shot like crap,and on hotrods,I would rather have a ugly fast one than a pretty slow one.In the end it is what makes you happy!

for a starter or a good base gun its hard to beat a sps. especially with guys like mark doin base trueing jobs for like 500 bucks including bolt knobs, trigger tuning etc.

i see alot of guys building the FN's too, mabye a good choice for a base action. guys were buying those up for 350'ish bucks.

mabye another viable option. the aftermarket actions are awesome and look amazing, but i have to say the r700 has been killing bad guys for a LONG LONG LONG TIME. i think sometimes guys get too caught up in having a high speed stick when they really need to phocus on bullets and range time.

its not the bow, its the indian

Trying to sell an SPS factory stock will cost you more in time than you can ever hope to gain in sales dollars. They don't fetch much for a good reason.... they suck!! $40 is steep in my opinion
& that is about all I have ever fetched on GreedBay!

Stainless SPS's with 24" pipes are going for $499 @ Cabela's right now with $75 mail-in rebates. Not a bad base price to get a Stainless 700 example. Depart with the stock, bottom metal & bbl & you could walk away with a 700 stainless for under $400.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LHill22250</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stainless SPS's with 24" pipes are going for $499 @ Cabela's right now with $75 mail-in rebates. Not a bad base price to get a Stainless 700 example. Depart with the stock, bottom metal & bbl & you could walk away with a 700 stainless for under $400. </div></div>

That's a solid start. And if things such as bolt fluting and knob conversions affect your budget to the point you would have to compromise the parts you pick, don't do it. You can always send it off later after your finances recover from the purchase.

I saw somewhere where they had r700 rifles w/ plastic stock for like $359. It was posted on here, from some internet shop. You might get the transfer fee's worth from the stock, and barrel. If we can figure out which shop it is, this might save you a little money. Also check your local pawn shops. You might find one w/ a hs stock and pick it up for cheap, then you're really ahead of the game.