• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

most push ups & chin ups in a row you can do?

300WSM

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2004
WI
ok so how many push ups in a row can you do and pull ups and chin ups?

Not the half ass mini chest dips either! Nor the half ass kipping pull up/ chin ups.

I'm talking good old fashioned real stuff.

Re: most push ups & chin ups in a row you can do?

I can definitely do 60 pushups without stopping, but I bet if I was really going for it I could get more the last time someone challenged me to pushup contest I was pretty drunk and that was a while ago
laugh.gif

I can do 7 dead hang pullups on a good day(working hard to get more). The problem is my pullups and chinups are always at the very end of my workout, and I always do either benchpress, powercleans, or overhead press on those days so I'm usually pretty waxed before hand.

I'll break routine sometime soon and see how many I can do from a rested state!

Also height weight: 5'10" 214 lbs.

Is there a trick to doing pullups/chinups?

I can pump out push ups like there is no tomorrow but pullups/chinups have always been my weak link.

My last PT test I did 69 pushups in one minute, which is all the time we are allowed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a trick to doing pullups/chinups?

</div></div>

I dunno. ...try using both hands
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a trick to doing pullups/chinups?

I can pump out push ups like there is no tomorrow but pullups/chinups have always been my weak link.

My last PT test I did 69 pushups in one minute, which is all the time we are allowed. </div></div>

I do 3 sets twice a week. On the days I do it once I fail out on my third set I do negatives.

Jump up and hang, and then slowly let yourself down.

This got me from a measley on or two sets of 3 pulls to being able to get around 6 or 7 for 3 sets.

I got up to 21 back while I was still in the Corps. Our platoon sgt had an incredibly simple workout for us that we did to improve, almost everybody went up 2-4 pull ups. Wish I could remember what it was, I need to get back to the gym. Pushups though? Never had to do them for score really, but in my prime certainly the 100 mark or so straight, maybe 70 right now? Best way to improve is just to do them, every day. A lot.

Before I jacked my wrists up, I could do 125 pushups in a row. On cardio days I would do about 3 sets of 125 pushups and the most I could ever do on pull ups was 20. But I weighed 235pds, and my lats were probably my weakest muscle. My dad, who was an old college wrestler always told me if I couldnt work out that pushup and crunches would do the trick as long as you pushed yourself to your limit.

28 pull ups
134 pushups

Not in a row. I would suspect either to be about half as many if I did them in a row with no rest. I was dead after each event.

However for shooting I feel cardio is the way to go. Better breathing and more stamina is what you need for a run and gun. Pure strength would only be useful for a knock out punch and HTH combat IMO. If you have a gun being muscle man is pretty much pointless for the guy on the other end.

non-stop, I can do 50 pushups, in a two minute time frame I can knock out 77, thats a 100 on the PT test.

Pull ups, when I was doing them on a regular basis I could do about 15.

I never do push ups can rep 225 for 50-55 regular , 68 personal best , I think i can get at least 150 pushups

My first set of pullup i can get 10-11 with an 80 lb dumbell hanging from my waste and those are full stretch and full contraction zero cheating (well i use wrist wraps)

Whats the differance between a "pull up" and a "chin up"?

I do pull up with a forward grip on a bar that 48" wide and my hands are slid out as far as possible. I feel this is the best way to get more back into it than arms as if you were to use a reverse grip closer together

generally in lay mens terms
pull ups = 'palms away'
chin ups = 'palms facing'

as for tricks...
some people call 'kipping' doing a pull up...google cross fit and kip and you'll see what im talking about.
its bull shit by the way. its like trying to say a push press is the same exact move as a strict standing over head press.

We had a competition awhile back where a PT Test was given. Pullups were done off a pace. A timer would beep off a pace and you had to be extended on one beep and up on the other. That really cut a lot of people's score down. Also no kipping and you had to have full extension (dead hang).
Our pullups are done with as many as you can do in 1 minute. Full elbow lockout on the raised position, chest comes down onto the counter's fist and no "bridging" or arching of the back for rest. Rest must be in the up position (planked).

Do both of those methods and you will see numbers drop and it'll give you a good platform to measure from across the board.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brutus1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> its like trying to say a push press is the same exact move as a strict standing over head press. </div></div>

hahaha
laugh.gif
I flip my brother shit everytime I catch him push pressing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My last PT test I did 69 pushups in one minute, which is all the time we are allowed. </div></div>

Who's PT test is this that uses 1 minute for pushups?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who's PT test is this that uses 1 minute for pushups? </div></div>

AF.

I can do 500 push ups and twenty chin ups. LOL
On a serious note I try to do 60-70 push ups a day along with twenty pull ups. I also do at least a half hour of lifting in there also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Who's PT test is this that uses 1 minute for pushups? </div></div>

Any place that adopts the Cooper Test.

now or in the day? i recall doing 420 once while a certain noncom read the paper waiting for me to guess who the lead singer of the cure was...ill never swing my watch stick by its lanyard like a ninja and drop it on the deck again.

Best way to improve push ups.. My best freind and i came up with this work out before leaving for bootcamp. While watching TV we would do a set of as many as we could every commercial break. At first we could only do sets of 20 or so. with in days up to mid 30s. In a week we could do 50 in a set no rest and in less than two weeks could do a set of 100 no rest. But we never worked on pull ups. Even if you do this after work while watching tv in the evening you'll get to sets of 100 pretty fast!

I did 17 clean pull ups in a row this morning and strained a pectoral muscle. Weird. I do hundreds every week, so it's not like it's a new exercise. For obvious reasons, I didn't do the pushups.

Edited to add:

The pec wasn't bad this morning, so I gave the pushups a shot. I got 55 clean and perfect. I was disappointed it wasn't more and am going to work on it.

In the police academy at about 21 I did 271 because the other guy quit at 270. I seriously doubt I had much more in the tank. As far as pull ups the best dead hang stuff I could do is about 8-9 on a good day.

JJones how big are you dude? Seriously 225lbs 55 times? I feel pretty good doing 225 about 20times.

Yeah Im thinking he is probably 6'5 270 of pure muscle or something.

I was db coach at my old high school and their was a kid in there that was benching a national high school record and he only did 225 32 times.

LOL , ok ok

I know that everybody on the web is bigger and faster than in person. Several guys on here know me personaly and know what my capibilities are but i suppose that i'll have to post some proof.

so after several PM of people politely calling bullshit her is a little bit about me.
My current stats are 34yrs old , 6'2" , 266lbs at about 8% BF , I'm a competitive body builder and have been for a couple years.
I was a competitive power lifter for years with Team "504 RAW" out of New Orleans and for about 8 years i was 300+ pounds so after years of maintaining that body weight and lifting for shear power it allowed my body to maintain alot of muscle.
I had lost a good bit of power when i first dieted down to get on stage but after finding a great training program and nutrition for me it has allowed me to steady put on lean mass while reducing BF% and gain strength.
Now i'll be the first to admit that my presses are not 100% range of motion , i stop just short of my chest (about 1") and push up to jst short of lockout , this range of motions allows me to fully activate the muscle and keep it under constant stress yet reduce the risk of injury.
Here are a couple pics from my last show , and i'm actualy a bit out of shape for this one because i decided at the last min to do it and only had a few weeks to prep and needed several more to come in "well conditioned" this is a ligitimate 5.5-6% body fat
powershack4.jpg

powershack3.jpg

powershack5.jpg

that last pic is y pittifull attemt at an old school pose called a vaccumme , i haden't practiced it enough so it didn't look to good and the camera man slightly missed it aat the peak

wouldn't mind trying this sometime, but my left quad wouldn't work for symmetry after tearing it playin college football, looks like a golfball lumped up in the middle of my thigh, i've seen the vacuume pose done by arny, this would take some practice.

The vaccume pose take A LOT of practice and is actualy a very good ab workout

Skinny , their are alot of guys that compete with injuries that are visible , the judges don't look at that as a downfall and actualy some will consider it an accomplishment to have worked through it. I've seen guys on stage with torn pecs , bis , one guy had some nerve damage that prevented him from being able to flex the left side of his back.

Well alot of pro football players dont bench 225 55 times. But Ive also watched tv where guys in prison are benching over 750lbs and they look to be about 200lbs themselves. Its hard to judge anyone thats on the internet by a story and never sitting down personally talking to them about their hobbies ya know. Thats still an incredible amount of weight and congrats on the accomplishment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whats with the gay underwear pics? </div></div>

don't be jelous , you know you want to rock a banana hamock too
grin.gif

I still call BS. Gonna hafta post your Driver's License and Social Security card or something.
grin.gif

Or at least a picture of you with Joe Weider or something

PUSH-UPS:
I once did 750 push-ups for time (it took about 30 minutes) without breaking form (allowing my knees to touch the ground, sagging so much that my hips touched the ground, or mounding up so far that the majority of my weight was tansfered to my legs).

This was a part of a competition that I entered at a search-and-rescue/search-and-recovery academy that is based out of Texas. I had to have a counter/timer/grader.

One-minute push-up time limit: I can currently do 82 push-ups.

Two-minute push-up time limit: I can currently do 103 push-ups

By the way, all of the above push-ups were done chest-to-ground.

PULL-UPS:
As far as pull-ups go, I can do 28 (currrently).

I don't know how many chin-ups I can do; chin-ups are for the weak (just kidding)!

I can do about 85 push ups in 2 mins. 18 pull ups non stop all the way down all the way up. im 5'11 200lbs so i got a lot of weight to pull up. I can also bench 315lbs. too bad all my unit cares about is how fast you can run 5 miles.

I personally witnessed an inmate do 60 pullups while carrying on a conversation, no evident strain. He was 6' 4" tall and probably weighed 230lbs. He had been a professional athlete until his incarceration, I never seen him max them out as he could do them with boring regularity.

if theres a bite of a cheeseburger involved in every pull up i complete i can probably do 50 but with no burgers up there maybe 5-10?....

every now and then i get on a pushup kick and i do them every day but then if i wait two weeks and try and go for my previous max i fail to do it... how is it that muscles can lose mass so quickly? also i touch my nose to the carpet on every pushup so i dont know if thats considered normal or not but i can do maybe 35 of those at one time...

im 6'1 225lbs and i never go to the gym even though i have a free lifetime membership...

Shortly before going into the Marines age at 21 I could do 42 dead hang pull ups and 54 dead hang chin ups...128 sit-ups in 2 minutes..132 Marine Corp push ups in 2 minutes and a my average 3 mile run was 17 minutes and 25 seconds. I weighed 165 Lbs. 5'9" tall and about 8% body fat.
Now I'm 41 5'9" 205-210 lbs average and 8% body fat there bouts.
Before I tore my pec 3 years ago I could bench 300 lbs raw 15 reps 315 12 reps and 400 max raw. Then I went and tore my pec with 365 lbs. because of a stupid mistake. After recoving from that I only go up to 225 lbs sets benching. Squat 505 raw and 10 lat pull downs with 250lbs stack (real weight) Curl 65 lbs one arm curls 10 reps easy and triceps are stornger than most power lifters who weigh 300 lbs. that lift at our local gym BLACKSTONES GYM, WEST LAFAYETTE OHIO... 160 lbs triceps press downs 50 reps easy. Keeping in shape is a must in my profession and my lifestyle. I enjoy the workouts and feel better when I do. My lungs are not in shape as much as I would like but I'm working on that again. Goin out west hunting I noticed it a little..lol. Endurance was always the most important part to me because in the end that's all that really matters. I've been uping my set and reps again and getting ripped is easy when you do that. I'm happy at 200 lbs. and feel that that is my new "fighting" weight so to speek. Like I posted on another thread our cross country trails will whip a Force Recon Marine into shape. We are starting timed shooting events covering over one mile of terrain as you shoot and move. Soon, more of our tactical shooters will learn how important some good ol' fashioned PT is for performing better in the field.

Even when I was 280 lbs in high school, with a max bench of 550, and a max squat of 700. I have never been able to do a pull up. I had big shoulders, triceps, biceps, and pecks…and never done one ever.

I find it very interesting that some guys are very strong with certain exercises and movements and others aren't even though one is must larger than the other. We are all made different that's for sure. I have a good friend who owns the gym where I lift and he has an ELITE total of 1625 lbs. for 3 lifts. He used to work for me doing construction. I could stand a 20' long 6"x6" treated post straight up 90 deg. and hold it and balance it..no problem..he couldn't get it over his head???? He is a world class deadlifter and squater for his weight class 215? but any arm exercise bi's or tri's or lat pull downs or benching for reps he couldn't come close to me and a had no elite total. Man strength vs. ??????
He is very strong though and you must respect the Elite total these guys posess, they are very strong for one lift.