• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

1626213362385.jpeg

Miller Lite. See, that’s the fucking problem. If they were for real they would have stood their ground and drank Lone Star. But, men don’t exist in that party anymore so I wouldn’t be surprised if they had baby bottles filled with Zima and took a couple Benadryl to sleep through the scary plane ride.

Funny story. My Dad was an FFL in Florida in the late 1950's and early 1960's. He ran guns to Cuba, hahaha. He was a WWII paratrooper with a strong sense of adventure and fought professionally from 1948 until he knocked up my 19 y/o mom in 1962. Perv had a thing for hot young brunets with big boobs. Besides young women, his hobbies were gambling, drinking, killing, photography, flying and guns. He learned to fly on the GI bill and that skill insured he and his friends could flee anywhere that had a plane. He took up photography because it allowed him to take all the naked pics of women he wanted and he literally had two suitcases of them when he died.

He landed in Florida in the mid-50's, he would periodically buy large quantities of surplus guns and ammo and head to Miami to wheel and deal. It usually involved a gambling trip to Cuba smuggling in a plane or boat load of weapons, hauling back cash from his "winnings".

As an adult, I was impressed that between him and his WWII era buddies they did not have a single hobby that was not a sin or vice in the load of them. He was the first person I met to describe using a "tactical reload" while in a gunfight with a squad of German soldiers. I first saw him shoot a Garand when I was 14 or so, he reloaded so fast it was like watching a slight of hand magic trick. It really was amazing to watch.

He gave me an interesting piece of advice on carrying a gun. "It's faster just to shoot thru the pocket than actually draw a pistol. No sense waiting or threatening or any of that crap just start shooting and get on with it." After he died, we found two expensive for the day overcoats with repaired gunshot damage in the pockets with a foot locker of old military gear. He really liked J frame S&W's for pocket guns.

Last edited:
Funny story. My Dad was an FFL in Florida in the late 1950's and early 1960's. He ran guns to Cuba, hahaha. He was a WWII paratrooper with a strong sense of adventure and fought professionally from 1948 until he knocked up my 19 y/o mom in 1962. Perv had a thing for hot young brunets with big boobs. Besides young women, his hobbies were gambling, drinking, killing, photography, flying and guns. He learned to fly on the GI bill and that skill insured he and his friends could flee anywhere that had a plane. He took up photography because it allowed him to take all the naked pics of women he wanted and he literally had two suitcases of them when he died.

He landed in Florida in the mid-50's, he would periodically buy large quantities of surplus guns and ammo and head to Miami to wheel and deal. It usually involved a gambling trip to Cuba smuggling in a plane or boat load of weapons, hauling back cash from his "winnings".

As an adult, I was impressed that between him and his WWII era buddies they did not have a single hobby that was not a sin or vice in the load of them. He was the first person I met to describe using a "tactical reload" while in a gunfight with a squad of German soldiers. I first saw him shoot a Garand when I was 14 or so, he reloaded so fast it was like watching a slight of hand magic trick. It really was amazing to watch.

He gave me an interesting piece of advice on carrying a gun. "It's faster just to shoot thru the pocket than actually draw a pistol. No sense waiting or threatening or any of that crap just start shooting and get on with it." After he died, we found two expensive for the day overcoats with repaired gunshot damage in the pockets with a foot locker of old military gear. He really liked J frame S&W's for pocket guns.
Your Dad was one of the last of the Real Men.

Sadly, most of the really good free climbers inevitably end up dieing in a fall, the few who haven't are the exception.
it’s not just solo climbers.

In the 80s and 90s I climbed at a very high level. Not the top tier but just below. I was a solid 5.12 climber, did a lot of big walls, alpine winter ascents, and lots of ice. And lots and lots of training that was basically soloing thousands of feet a day on easy climbs. I guided most every week.

I was second to a lot of the top climbers of those decades and had a lot of partners who one really knows outside of the West Coast.

Only one of of my dozen regular relatively unknown buddies is not dead or permanently maimed from climbing roped. Two committed suicide and did not die in the mountains. One of the latter was a woman who was just phenomenal in every way.

All the top tier I climbed with are dead. Most while soloing mostly easy stuff.

Out of the twenty or so in our extended group, only myself and one other man are still alive and not in a wheelchair. That’s a stunning statistic.

I can think of a half dozen incidents that could have killed me. Avalanches. Rock fall. Huge flakes breaking off when I was in them. Thunderstorms on a wall. Hypothermia. Broken leg miles from a road while soloing.

i also saw some disasters in the making and saved some lives. Held someone while they died. And pulled two bodies out of the wilderness. All that made me think.

I stopped when I became engaged. Climbing has risks that when measured against family commitments makes climbing an unjustifiably selfish act. I know a lot of spouses that are privately bitter or at a loss still. The saying they died doing what they loved is basically BS when Family is involved

I have some amazing memories and stories and I miss the close friendships of those who are gone. Other than the military, there is no closer bond I had than that between me and my long term successful climbing partners. The level of trust is absolute and you also discuss everything.

You become very kind and compassionate to each other as you live with fear and sometimes despair together.. I came to know them deeply as I spent days and days with them several times a month. Their deaths each took a part of me away. I learned a lot from each of them. And each was an awesome human being.

Climbing has an irony to it not unlike military preparation. You train and become a team, then the act of going to war or going on a hard climb, can mean the deliberate destruction of what you created. And then profound loss.

Miller Lite. See, that’s the fucking problem. If they were for real they would have stood their ground and drank Lone Star. But, men don’t exist in that party anymore so I wouldn’t be surprised if they had baby bottles filled with Zima and took a couple Benadryl to sleep through the scary plane ride.
Or Shiner.