• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Fieldcraft Multi cam base for Ghillie? / DCU Ghillie build

Shamus

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2011
Fort Bragg, NC
Alright, I am going to be leaving for MTT sniper school here in Bragg at the end of the month, and have been lurking on this site for a couple months now.
I finally received my packing list, and one of the items being a Ghillie. I have done a bit of research on the matter, and have heard good things said about the use of Multi cam as a base for your suit, with the exception being cost.

So I did some more searching and was able to find this;
PROPPER BDU 4 pocket
I hate the thought of spending over $100 on new multicam and then cutting it up. I figure the $70 range makes it slightly more manageable.

Understanding its not going to be as cheap as using a set of woodland bdu's or acus, what are your thoughts on this? I like that it has done away with the velcro and zippers, and pockets can be moved where ever need be.

Has anyone had experience with "PROPPER"? Any thoughts on the material?

Any advise would be appreciated,
Thanks all
-Blake

Re: Multi cam base for Ghillie?

Go to a surplus store. Buy a set of BDUs/DCUs one size bigger than you normally wear for a fraction of the cost of Multicam.

Done.

It's a tool, not a fashion show. A ghillie isn't going to make you invisible.

Plus consider that a Ghillie is mostly covered by jute, cordura, spray paint. As already stated, dont waste your money on multicam.

When you pick up a set of BDUs/DCUs get them 1 size bigger then you normally wear. After a solid "wash" they will shrink a bit. The dirt and mud will cause this, dont rinse it off.. it should be there.

Remember... Its always easier to go darker, then it is to go lighter.

We used desert BDU's...as said above, go light in color. It's easier to make something that's light, dark than the other way around. Hell, mine's so old I used the "chocolate-chip" desert BDU's! Also as has been said, it's going to get really messed up and be the ugliest, smelliest piece of gear you'll ever own.

Here's one I built with Multicam and 1000d Cordura skid plates,the Propper 4 pockets will work just fine for needs.

Contact http://www.uspatriottactical.com/ They will give you a discount for being Military

DSC01629.jpg

DSC01637.jpg

Ok, so I scrapped the multicam idea. I found it for 60 bucks locally, but ended up getting a set of dcu's for $20 complete with boonie, which raises the next question...

The black vents on the desert boonie, what did you guys do with them? paint them, take them out, or just leave them?

Here's what Ive got so far; Im in the process of moving a pocket to the sleeve, adding thumb loops (Im thinking gutted 550 sewn on, any thoughts?)
IMG-20110712-00023.jpg

IMG-20110712-00022.jpg

Duck cloth is shoegooed on, and Im going to sew the edges. Also going to cut the inside of the legs about 6" up and make a lace or button cuff on them.

IMG-20110712-00024.jpg

These are the vents I'm speaking of. They seem to stick out like a sore thumb...

Got the front skids and elbows cut out, but ran out of shoegoo last night, I managed to get one of the pockets sewn in on the inside. Sewing is NOT my strong point, but it should hold. I may have them add some extra thread to it when I have the belly skids sewn.
IMG-20110713-00025.jpg

Here's a tid-bit of information:

Use light colored cammies as a base, such as desert. You can always make light colors darker. It's hard to effectivly make dark colors lighter.

good start.
i'd recommend shoe gooing the entire frayed edge on your vents if you havent, or hemming them. last thing you need is a ripped vent stitch where the threads pulled out.
550 cord works good for thumb loops, as does elastic.

nice knife by the way, i carry the same one!

Yup, Ive had that benchmade for almost 3 years now. I wont carry any other knife.

I've made some progress on the suit, but I'm on leave and cant upload them right now. They should be up shortly though

Alright, quick question. How do you guys attach your rubberbands for veg? Ive been looking around and havent found an exact answer.

Im going to be using brown hair bands, in the hope that they last a little longer than rubber bands. Should they be sewn onto the suit itself or attached to the netting?

And about how far apart should I space them?

You can girth hitch them to the netting, that is what I do, and use rubberbands. If they break, they are very easy to replace, and they are much less expensive than hair ties. I have over 100 rubberbands on my suit.

yeah, I'm kinda starting to see that now.

Another question for guys who went through army sniper school, the packing list I received said nothing about a drag bag, just a completed ghillie suit. Is a drag bag considered part of the ghillie? Or did you even use them in the school?

Also on the packing list are "Motorola walkabouts". Do they want generic civilian type radios, or should I talk to the coms cage about getting one of the issued motorolas?

Heres a link to the ATRRS page with the packing list if anyone is curious:
ATRRS

Never went to Army SS, but in the Marines, the drag-bags stayed in the armory and were sent out with the rifles. You better check on that if you can.

Was already stated above, but yes, girth-hitching the rubber bands to the jute netting works well. Easy to do. I wouldn't worry about those vents on your cover...the jute will hide them. One tip....we cut the brim out of our boonie hats (veil) just above our faces so that it doesn't cast a shadow. I'll try to upload a pic with an example. Good luck!

I just went to the benning school and you will need a motorola walkabout for the stalk lanes so in an emergency you can talk to the cadre, also as far as the hair ties i just started each stalk with a bunch in my pocket and then put them on as i veged up. You will definately need a drag bag, and a tripod with something to rest your rifle on during the stalk so a drag bag that will fit that and your rifle are probably the best. feel free to PM me with any other questions some of the other guys from my section are in that same MTT so i'll probably be stopping in to check up.

Re: Multi cam base for Ghillie? / DCU Ghillie build

Ok so I got the ghillie completed, I just need to paint the skids.

I got the skids sewn up and added a pocket to the sleeve.
IMG-20110720-00029.jpg

I also added a seam to the vent, and restitched the inside pocket
IMG-20110720-00032.jpg

I realized the rear pockets were just extra cloth, so I cut them out
IMG-20110724-00036.jpg

Also had some spare nylon webbing laying around, so I made my thumb loops out of them. They fold in so in I'm not using them they don't hang out and get snagged on stuff.
IMG-20110725-00043.jpg

I ordered some tac con dye before I went on leave, but it didn't make it in time, so I ended up going with rit dye unfortunately. I left the ghillie light in color, with the idea that I can add green to it if needed.
IMG-20110727-00045.jpg

Thoughts?

the only other thing I would do is I can't see if you did or not is shoo goo the edges of all the skid plates I just put it down and smoothed it out with my finger to keep it from coming loose while low crawling. I also wouldn't worry too much about the color it will probably darken up in the ghillie wash and then if it's too dark a little bleach in a spray bottle works great. you can also make up for a lightbase with plenty of green veg.

also you could probably cut the top out of your hat and replace it with whatever you used for the back vent. they also make you have jute on your pants, but I could have done all my stalks with bare pants. it's up to you, but after a practice you might want to give at least the pants a trim.