• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

My AE MkII Naked

LoneWolfUSMC

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2008
Southern Indiana
www.8541tactical.com
She hit 500 rounds so it was time to give it it's first cleaning and to make sure everything was running right. I needed to check the torque on the action screws, so I decided to pull it apart first and see what the naked chassis looked like. Of course that meant I needed to snap some pictures.

It hasn't gotten "soaked" yet, but since it lives it's life in the trunk of a leaky patrol car I figured I needed to make sure noting bad was going on between the receiver and chassis. It probably won't get stripped down like this again until next year or when it gets drenched.

I am not about to pull the trigger group apart until after I get to the AI Armorer's Course.

AE_1748.jpg

AE_1754.jpg

AE_1755.jpg

Accuracy International AE MkII Review

Reactions: Monk Medic
Re: My AE MkII Naked

Is there a general consensus on when an AI should be due for a thorough clean and the trigger group inspected ? I'm up to about 800 rounds in mine (mainly range work) and haven't taken it apart or had it serviced. Is there a point at which it would be wise/responsible to have a smith check my rifle ? I appreciate AI's are meant for a hard working life & I'm not looking to incur expense for the sake of it but at what point does it become sensible ?

If you clean your rifle properly, i.e., you use a bore guide, and don't slop a lot of bore solvent around, cleaning the trigger group may not be necessary very often unless you reside in a really dusty environment like the sandbox. If it becomes necessary with the trigger, you'll feel it. My AE has 6000+ rounds - I lost track - through it, and I've never had to "degunk" the trigger.

There is nothing else to do except clean it. I clean the bore every 500 rounds or so.

AIs were designed to be maintained in the field by the guys who shoot them.

Yep that's what i was expecting to hear. My query on the trigger was more about muck getting in there and causing a ND as one member here supposedly had on their rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: woody22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LoneWolf-
Do you find your Cold Bore shot to be off from your follow ups?</div></div>

It seems that if I was shooting one type of ammo on one day and I switch to a different ammo, then I sometimes get a shift. If I am shooting our duty ammo day after day, then I don't see a shift. The one time I thought I had something going on, the ring nuts had backed off.

Generally I have to break rifles down once a year for an Armorer's inspection if they have not been exposed to extremes. I don't know what AI recommends on inspection periods because I have not been to their school yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: balls2elwall</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow srt supply i had no idea you guys were on here i was actually in your shop today buying some range ammo. i love your shop!</div></div>

Thanks!

And as Lindy says, if you're keeping your rifle relatively clean in the first place, and cleaning it correctly, getting gunk in there shouldn't be an issue anyways.