• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

My first post, Ok I'm sold!

Walt

Private
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2006
Arizona
I retired from Corrections in 2011 and my rifles have been sitting in the safe for years.
I decided I want to get out of the house and away from the computer screen.
Last week I went to my LGS to poke around and I saw a Ruger RPR 6.5 in Barrett brown and had an impulse buy.
Everyone has talked up this rifle and cartridge like it's the best thing since sliced bread so I bit.
As soon as I got home I started looking for a scope.
I currently have a Burris XTR 3-12 from around 2006(Made in USA) sitting on a Armalight AR10T and a second hand Vortex PST 4x16 sitting on a 700 AAC 16.5 in 308.
I'm thinking Burris XTR II 5-25, Vortex PST II 5-25, or Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27 all are about $1000 give or take.
I was really itching to shoot this rifle so I dug through my old range bag and pulled out an old Bushnell 3200 Elite 10x fixed.
I think I paid about $179 for this scope years ago.
It was already mounted in an Armalite one piece flat top AR mount, so I slapped it on. I figured it'll get me shooting until I can save enough coin for one of the above scopes.
I bought a box Hornady cases, one box of the 140 ELD match bullets and a pound of H4350.
I loaded up the cases with 40.9 grains of the 4350 and headed to the range with the new rifle and my 700 AAC.
I started with the 308 and shot the usual 1.5 groups from it, and then switched to the RPR and shot a group that could be covered with a dime.
I moved the target out to 200 yards and shot another group from the RPR that was still under an inch and a half.
This rifle has really amazed me and I'm wondering if I really need to spend any more money for a better scope.
This group wasn't an anomaly, it kept shoot this tight.

I retired from Corrections in 2011 and my rifles have been sitting in the safe for years.
I decided I want to get out of the house and away from the computer screen.
Last week I went to my LGS to poke around and I saw a Ruger RPR 6.5 in Barrett brown and had an impulse buy.
Everyone has talked up this rifle and cartridge like it's the best thing since sliced bread so I bit.
As soon as I got home I started looking for a scope.
I currently have a Burris XTR 3-12 from around 2006(Made in USA) sitting on a Armalight AR10T and a second hand Vortex PST 4x16 sitting on a 700 AAC 16.5 in 308.
I'm thinking Burris XTR II 5-25, Vortex PST II 5-25, or Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27 all are about $1000 give or take.
I was really itching to shoot this rifle so I dug through my old range bag and pulled out an old Bushnell 3200 Elite 10x fixed.
I think I paid about $179 for this scope years ago.
It was already mounted in an Armalite one piece flat top AR mount, so I slapped it on. I figured it'll get me shooting until I can save enough coin for one of the above scopes.
I bought a box Hornady cases, one box of the 140 ELD match bullets and a pound of H4350.
I loaded up the cases with 40.9 grains of the 4350 and headed to the range with the new rifle and my 700 AAC.
I started with the 308 and shot the usual 1.5 groups from it, and then switched to the RPR and shot a group that could be covered with a dime.
I moved the target out to 200 yards and shot another group from the RPR that was still under an inch and a half.
This rifle has really amazed me and I'm wondering if I really need to spend any more money for a better scope.
This group wasn't an anomaly, it kept shoot this tight.

Nice shooting and Welcome aboard!
Mike

Reactions: Walt
Welcome, I would say you have that rig figured out. There is not an urgent need for more glass but if you let that 6.5 run out at LR there is certainly a case for better glass. The XTR II are solid values I run two of them and they have never let me down. Enjoy the new toy.

Welcome to the Hide. Nice shooting from a nice rig.

My brother picked up an RPR. I would characterize it as a $1,000 trigger that comes with a free precision rifle. It is sweet. He chose to top his with a 6-24 Viper, which was so nice it kinda blew up my scope budget on my own latest.

I returned from the range today and zeroed the Nikon FX1000, I have to say I do like this scope.
I had the Vortex PST 4-16 next to it for a comparison. I think the glass is comparable between the two.
I would like to sit down with the Nikon, PSTII and the Athlon Ares BTR side by side. My only complaint is their is only 20 mils of elevation total in this scope.
It's a lot of scope for $799.
6L9MUotnSLWGU6BOAgEWfA.jpg