• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

my Patriot is soooo close ETA- Quick pics. Got it!

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
Jered PM'd me today asking if a .221 group would suffice. Said he was able to get sub half moa at 400 with FGMM 168.

I told him I cant wait to see what it will do with a good driver, LOL.

Damn, I need this rifle in my hands. Patience is a virtue I lack. Hopefully within a few days I will hold her. DAAAAANG man.

Pics soon.

ETA- Got it!!

Got the rifle today. From my initial quick inspection, it is exactly what I expected. Was worried about my choice of barrel contours, but it is exactly what I had hoped. And the craftsmanship appears flawless. Trying to adapt to the color, as it is definitely different. Thinking I am going to like it, but may have to send the Schmidt, the bipod and the mag back to them for the same color.

Jered probably wont be satisfied with my piss poor picture, but I wanted to get at least one quick one up. I dont have time tonight to set up the tripod and get it into some good lighting, so here is a quick one, hand held and in the basement lighting. Trust me, it doesnt do it justice. Appearance is remarkable, FWIW.

Patriot-210-4-1081.jpg

Patriot-210-4-1043.jpg

Re: my Patriot is soooo close

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cant wait</div></div>

How about some specs for now? </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cant wait</div></div>

How about some specs for now? </div></div>

20" Broughton #6
700 action, ala Patriot
RB trigger
Badger DBM
Manners T2
Schmidt

Pretty basic, but it is my first APA, and I cant wait. Pics next week.

Basic is good, don't get too caught up in the whole specialized deals. Good all round shooter, have fun with it.
Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotRod308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like Santa will come early for you my friend! Congrats! </div></div>

Funny, that is exactly how I feel.

It may have a few little tweaks here and there, but I stated the basics, LOL

Dont know what they call it. Something Jered's bro mixed up.

I had spec'd matte black, but once he saw my stock, he asked if I would change it and said he thought this color would look good.

I think it does, and everyone I have showed it agrees.

I just think the scope and rings should probably get it as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BookHound</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glad you are happy. I was out last week when this shipped. I wanted to take some pics for myself. The stock is AWESOME!

</div></div>

Thanks Bookhound, hate you had to be out.

I am going to see if I can get some good pics in natural lighting this weekend.

Nice stick, hydro. And you're going to love it even more when you start stretching its legs out. Bug holes at 100 yards is nice, but sub-half MOA at 600 yards is downright sexy. APA's builds just flat shoot.

Thanks, to be honest, if I could stay sub moa at 700 (the limits of my usual range) I would be happy.

But that is more a reflection of the driver than the equipment. Looking very forward to stretching her out tomorrow. Hopefully I will be able to get some decent photos as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anything with skulls on it HAS to be a tack driver...enjoy! </div></div>

The skulls are for looks, nothing to do with shooting.

Didnt want you to get suckered into buying a piece of shit rifle, just because it has skulls. Watching out for you bro
crazy.gif

Just back from my first range trip with the rifle.

Shot a few boxes of FGMM and then started with some generic 308 loads I have had luck with in other rifles.

Rifle seems to be as good a shooter as I had hoped it would be. The first 5 shot group at 100 yielded a .806 gross measurement. So, a .498 center to center. A hell of a way to start off. That was with FGMM 168. I shot 3-4 back to back groups that measured between .400 and .650, center to center. Was very pleased with the consistency.

Also shot a couple groups at 200 and 300 with the FGMM and they were all between .5 and 1moa.

I then shot some of my handloads. The hottest load I shot today was 43.5 grains of Varget behind a 175 SMK. Used New Lapua brass and 210M primers. COAL was 2.83.

The groups did not get any better with the handloads. Not sure if this is a testament to the quality of FGMM, or an indication that I suck at reloading, LOL.

I expect I will be able to improve the groups once I start developing a load.

When the light gets a little better I am going to try and get some good pictures, and will post them later today.

Overall, the rifle seems to be performing up to par for an APA, just as I'd hoped. Cant wait to see what it will do with some load work. Thanks Jered!

Hydro,

Before these last photos, I thought I was into functional art over a "masterpiece", but this has me reconsidering.

A quality custom rifle is art within itself - this stock added a dimension to a beautiful piece of art that is also very functional masterpiece. This was well worth the wait.

Kevin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goose375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Stock work is sweet-ass what shop did that? </div></div>

Jeromy Holmes, AKA Dimensions (here on the Hide) painted the stock. Second one he has done for me, amazing painter.

Thanks for the comments guys, I am really liking the rifle. If I can peel myself away from football, I am going to try and get back to the range today. Hope to take it out toward 700 next trip.

I was telling my wife already after showing her the thread & pics that I'm going to have to buy a spare stock just to get it painted like this and hang it above the fireplace! It's freaking awesome!!!!!!!!!!

It is Duracoat, properly applied, with a matte clearcoat. It is quite damn durable. You guys thinking that it is a fragile finish, are misreading it.

In a normal use rifle, it will last a long time. Extreme duty may wear it, but not badly.

Patriot-210-4-109.jpg

Trying to work on my photography skills. I think I may have finally gotten a shot that accurately depicts the color of the rifle.

Managed to get to the range again this afternoon and was absolutely impressed by the rifles ability. Havent even started working on a load. Partially because I havent had time, but also because this thing is a freaking laser guided HAMMER with Federal Gold Medal Match in 168. I had 12-15 boxes of it, that I didnt intend to even shoot, but the rifle just loves them.

I usually only load 155 Scenars and 175 SMK's in all my 308's, but I may pick up some 168 SMK's when I start loading for this rifle. 99% of my shooting is between 300 and 650 yards, due to the limitations of my range, and the benefits of the 175's or 155's arent really taken advantage of inside 700 from what I understand.

Today I decided I wasnt going to shoot groups, but instead was going to ring steel at 400, 500 and 630 yards. Mostly I was shooting my 45% IPSC steel swinger. I set it up at the farthest berm, which is about 630 yards.

Using the "shooter" program on my Android, I entered the data from the FGMM 168. It matched the data I had already confirmed out to 300 perfectly. So, I trusted it out to 630.

I dialed 4.9 mils and held dead on. Very calm day, about 80 degrees. Conditions were perfect.

I ended up talking to other shooters more than shooting, but I ended up logging about 65 rounds and was simply impressed with the rifle, and the ammo.

At one point I hit 14out of 15 shots, and that is excellent for me, considering the size of the 45% IPSC silhouette is not a huge target. That is much better than I usually do. Bottom line, the more I shoot this thing, the more I find myself wanting to go to some private land and find something even more challenging. Based on my initial impressions, I would have to say this is the best shooting rifle I have yet had.

Thanks APA!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D Ice 308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long have you been waiting for your rifle? </div></div>

I am finished waiting for it. Got it last week.

They had it for apx 4 months. The only part I had to order was the Broughton barrel though. Already had the stock, bottom metal, trigger etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Nixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That was a fun rifle to work on and quite a looker- Have a blast with it!
</div></div>

J, didnt know you worked for Patriot. Must be a fun job to have.

What do you do?