• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Precision Rifle Gear Naming loads for Kestrel and in general

Near miss

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2019
    Finland
    How do you mark and name loads for Kestrel or otherwise for developing?

I noticed on one video from Greg that he had quite different naming and realized everybody does these different. Let me know how you name them. The kestrel does not let very many characters in the "Gun" name, preventing overly detailed names and also limited screen space. This forced me to condense information.

For Kestrel, I have basically 2 categories with some variations.

1. Bulk / shop ammo:
    Shooter name (team or group members) or gun model (2 characters) + ammonition maker (1or 2char, up to 4 char) + bullet weight in grains or grams.

T3 SB140 (Tikka, Sellier bellot 140gns)
    JD L250 (John Doe, Lapua 250gns)
    MR Ge55 (MR223, Geco 55gns)
    T3 Sako93 (Tikka, Sako 9,3g)

2. Reloads:
    Gun model (2 char) + Ammo maker (1 char) + bullet weight (2-3 chars) + powder load (2char)

MR H4958 (MR223, Hornady 4,9g 1,58g charge)
    MR L5058 (MR223 Lapua 5,0g 1,58g charge)
    T3 L8895 (Tikka, Lapua 8,8g 2.95g charge)

For reload developing I have also added the bullet seater (micrometer) setting after the charge as 3 digit number.
    Such as MR H4958107

At first I used a period between bullet weight and charge but after getting used to reading them I dropped those off.

You are over thinking it, just name the gun and load abbreviation.
    examples
    LMT20 77 TMK----Lewis Machine and Tool 20" with a 77 grain Tipped Match King
    GCP18 140H--Gulf Coast Precision, 18" barrel with 140 Hornady BTHP

Agree with others. In my actual reloading spreadsheet I can use as many characters as I want. In the Kestrel/Raptar I use the gun and the bullet.

So my load for my Sako TRG looks like

Sako TRG-22, 175gr Sierra Matchking, 43.9gr Varget, Winchester brass, 2.xxx” base to ogive

in my spreadsheet and

TRG 175SMK

in my Kestrel/Raptar. IDK why you would have other peoples’ loads stored in your kestrel. If you are spotting for them, use their kestrel, that way you don’t have to input all their truing data etc into yours.

I spot for those people and beyond 1km I usually like to verify the data from my kestrel and be ready to look miss in the direction kestrel dope directs to.

For my shooter I call the shot as usual spotter would do and while I have his dope printed ready, if I have time, I prepare the kestrel with ready targets/landmarks and mark them. Kestrel also provides more accurate dope, especially if the weather changes much or just such as night and day time changes.

It seems the gun + bullet is the best solution.