• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes NEAR Alphamount

medic103

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2005
Parkland, FL
www.facebook.com
I received my NEAR Manufacturing Alphamount today, and wanted to post some pics. When I was reading up on them on here, JasonK had some nice pics, but I wanted to see some close ups as I kept hearing this mount referred to as machining art. Before I got my rifle all set up, I tried my best to get some pics to convey the quality of this mount. It is really, really nice. Mr Near was a pleasure to do business with, is very knowledgeable, and can easily explain stuff to a retard like me so I can grasp it. This won't be the last mount I get from him.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Huge thank you to JasonK, and Palmik for answering my many questions.</span>

It's a 34mm obviously, high mount with zero MOA.

IMG_1074.jpg

IMG_1075.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1078.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_1080.jpg

IMG_1081.jpg

IMG_1082.jpg

IMG_1083.jpg

Re: NEAR Alphamount

yeah, he said with the 20MOA base, and being it's a 308, I didn't need more. I've used Seekins and Badgers and never had an issue. I know one of the advantages of his mounts is the additional MOA, or custom MOA he can do, and I'll use that when I order one for the AIAW 338 I'm going to get next year.

Richard Near's Alphamount is very nice. I have one in 34mm for my TRG42 along with his TRG 25MOA rail... still saving up for the scope though.

I waited about 5 days from the time I placed the phone order till the mounts were in my mailbox.

Richard is a good guy to deal with, seems very patient and willing to help in spite of being super busy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I pulled my Hensoldt out of mine a couple weeks ago and there wasn't a hint of a ring mark, shiny spots, nothing. Perfection. </div></div>

I'm still waiting on that scope, let me know when it ships.......
whistle.gif

Kirk R

Great to hear you like the mount medic. Warning though, these mounts are very addictive. You will never look at standard rings ever again.

I'm sold on the Near rails and Alpha mounts. They are the perfect set-up for the Sako TRG series. I was just talking with Richard the other day, and told him that I call and talk with him more then my Canadian relatives, which is true.

The Near TRG rail is a no brainer. 5 lugs and a perfect fit. While you are at it, you must also get the Near TRG brake. Cheaper than the factory Sako brake and more effective. My 338 has nil recoil with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: guy2205</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been trying to e-mail Near but there in box is full can anyone help please .
regards
Guy</div></div>

Honestly, best answer is to call him, very nice man.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dyoung</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Medic
My turn for dumb questions. Whats that alpha mount made of? Weight?</div></div>

Aluminum I think.

Mine weighed a couple ounces less than a set of Badger USMC 34mm rings. About a 30% weight saving I recall and what I believe is a sturdier mount.

I can tell you the Alpha Mounts aren't made from <span style="font-style: italic">just</span> aluminum, nor even if the mounts <span style="font-style: italic">have</span> aluminum in them. Richard was working on a light-weight, stronger-than-steel composite a couple of years ago, and from the feel (weight) of my Alpha mount he settled on something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Rather than not knowing , I would like to know what material they are made of , before actually buying a set .

Later Chris </div></div>
He may not tell you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dyoung</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Medic
My turn for dumb questions. Whats that alpha mount made of? Weight?</div></div>

Aluminum I think.

Mine weighed a couple ounces less than a set of Badger USMC 34mm rings. About a 30% weight saving I recall and what I believe is a sturdier mount.</div></div>

Jason, the mount is NOT made from aluminum. It is an alloy metal of some sort that is about 2x stronger than steel. It is Richard's proprietary patented secret. I asked him about it a while back and he have me the strength info, but no dice on what it was exactly. He worked really hard for a bunch of years to build this mount, and he doesn't want anyone ripping his ideas. I don't blame him. I am content not knowing what it is, just as long as it performs, and so far I am super happy.

I have an alphamount on an S&B 3-12. It is a wonderful set up. IMHO putting sub standard rings on a nice scope is like putting crappy tires on a Ferrari. The alphamount is a great mounting system.

I can confirm what Palmik said. Just talked to Richard and its a secret. I did not mean to offend him in any way as I totally understand why...just wanted some idea how much it weighs compared to aluminum or steel. I believe all you guys saying how good it is and I appreciate you sharing with us. Thanks again