• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Need a better muzzle brake

wvfarrier

Ignorant wretch
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2012
West (By GOD) Virginia
I have a couple different 300 PRC rifles, big fan of the cartridge. However, ever since I had my shoulder repaired the recoil is kicking my ass. I m currently using a PVA Jetblast but it just is not doing enough. I regularly shoot hot 308s and even hot 45-70 with no issues but the 300 is starting to cause a flinch. Its a Zermatt action with a 26" bull barrel in a MDT chassis so it is quite hefty. What brakes would you guys recommend? I was looking at the different "tank" style brakes but dunno if they are worth it.

...currently using a PVA Jetblast but it just is not doing enough...
Augment with squishier recoil pad:
Direct replacement for MDT in the drop-downs.

I have a couple different 300 PRC rifles, big fan of the cartridge. However, ever since I had my shoulder repaired the recoil is kicking my ass. I m currently using a PVA Jetblast but it just is not doing enough. I regularly shoot hot 308s and even hot 45-70 with no issues but the 300 is starting to cause a flinch. Its a Zermatt action with a 26" bull barrel in a MDT chassis so it is quite hefty. What brakes would you guys recommend? I was looking at the different "tank" style brakes but dunno if they are worth it.
Get a Cadex MX1. People talk highly of the heathen brake, which I also have, but I feel like the cadex is better at mitigating recoil.

I use the Precision Armament M4-72 on my 300 RUM shooting 250 ATips at 2985 fps from 26" barrel. I like it because its short and does a good job...but this video shows there may be other choices that work better.

Augment with squishier recoil pad:
Direct replacement for MDT in the drop-downs.

I'm a MDT owner and I would have to agree 100% to change the recoil pad before you make any other changes.

It's probably about $40 for a new pad.

Not 100% TBAC related, but don't most actual test with equipment and data show suppressors do not match brakes for recoil reduction and that suppressors with brakes have to low of velocity to be of significant use to do much for recoil reduction?
This is a actual question after having read about brakes vs suppressors and looked at the limited data combined with the general reduction of the number of suppressors being used by top PRS shooters.
Real question.

ETA - Fat B* gen 2 is very pleasant to shoot on 300wm with 215s at mach Jebus. Just not pleasant for people around you....

Reactions: PappyM3
… don't most actual test with equipment and data show suppressors do not match brakes for recoil reduction …
Yes. The sound reduction has a psychological effect of perceived recoil reduction, because less harsh sound is associated with less harsh recoil. Silencers do help recoil reduction purely because they are additional mass. Mass is a good method of recoil reduction, but a silencer’s mass is generally not as significant as the recoil reduction from a good brake.

None of y'all like the Terminator brakes?
I have them on several full profile barrels, 300winmag, 300 Norma, 7PRC & a 6.5PRC on the way. I usually wear plugs under electronic muffs but the Terminator is actually comfortable with only plugs.

I do run sound forwarders on "standard" cartridges as it is much more pleasant for everyone and recoil reduction is enough.

Here are some objective data using a 300 PRC rifle:

The Apollo Max had the most significant reduction, of those tested.

Also, these weren’t tested and look a bit silly, but I’m sure they work real well.

The JP Recoil Eliminator is fugly- but I gotta say, I've not used a more effective brake. The huge blast baffles are the key to its effectiveness. The PA M4-72 is also a favorite, marketed as a compensator but I find it very effective at reducing felt recoil.

The recoil pad on my MDT sucks dick. Hard plastic covered by a thin piece of rubber- that ain't helping.

Thought about one of these- no affiliation- curious if anyone has experience with it?

The JP Recoil Eliminator is fugly- but I gotta say, I've not used a more effective brake. The huge blast baffles are the key to its effectiveness. The PA M4-72 is also a favorite, marketed as a compensator but I find it very effective at reducing felt recoil.

The recoil pad on my MDT sucks dick. Hard plastic covered by a thin piece of rubber- that ain't helping.

Thought about one of these- no affiliation- curious if anyone has experience with it?

Just price compare one of these deliverered to you as well. The backfire ones are "to spec" but if the cost is significantly different you may find better use for the money elsewhere. I have fitted these to all my MDT chassis and the Oryx 308 I set up for a friend, massive improvement in comfort and recoil control.

MDT-LS-ADAPT1-scaled.jpg

I knew a guy with one of those on a 300 Win Mag and he said it was unbelievable how much recoil it removed. Pretty sure there used to be videos with a JP equipped magnum rifle and the shooter would hold it up against his nose and shoot it to show almost zero movement.

instead of supporting a cuck try this instead

The best muzzle brake you can buy... And people around you won't hate you...

Let em hate me, hopefully they leave, and then I can sprawl out to two tables. I always bring too many rifles and I almost always use hellfire matches just because I'm bought into the mounting system. It's easy, and I can be lazy.

Plus, i'm usually doing some sort of load dev, which means I want whatever i'm running for the match on my rifle.

I was not a huge fan of muzzle brakes. Getting older has changed my POV a little. I have only tried one, but it really does the trick. It's the SPT Hudu. I like that it has holes on the top. I believe it directs some of the gas upwards, which keeps it from jumping as much.

The PVA Jetblast was designed for smaller cartridges, you should be using our Shockwave brake for the PRC. It alson won't turn your sinuses into jello.

Last edited:
Reactions: PappyM3
The PVA Jetblast was designed for smaller cartridges, you should be using our Shockwave brake for the PRC. It alson won't turn your sinuses into jello.

Thank you. Tacops is sending my one of his to try out and evaluate with the PRC.