Need Setup for Level 1 Rifle Class (700 LTR?)

Narwhal

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2010
Austin, TX
Hi,

I'm planning to take the following class at Tiger Valley in June:
http://www.tigervalley.com/tvciv_rifle1.php

I'd like to spend less than $3000 on a setup, I currently don't have anything capable of shooting less than 1 MOA, which is required for the course. Right now I'm leaning toward a Remington 700 LTR with a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 3.5-10x40. I already have the spotting scope and stand along with 300 rounds of Federal GMM 168's.

Do you think this would be an OK choice, and suitable for this course?

I've considered the full size 26" 700p as well, but I'm into NFA and will consider threading the LTR's barrel; w/ the 26" 700p I'd probably need to cut the barrel down if I added a suppressor.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Need Setup for Level 1 Rifle Class (700 LTR?)

Sure, it will work. I used my LTR to 1k quite a bit. I even used a straight 10x for a while although I prefer 15+. If 800+ yds is in order I'd ditch the 168's for some 175's.

LTR or a 5R would be a great choice for a rifle.

In regards to optics: take a serious look at the Weaver Tactical 3-15 with the EDMR reticle, it is getting great reviews on the hide and offers more features than the mor eexpensive Leupold

Also, solid base and rings from badger ordanace or seekins are a must.

Well I bought my LTR today for about $900 which I thought was an OK deal, freeing up a bit more budget for optics.

I'm thinking of stepping up to a Leupold Mark 4 ER/T 4.5-14x30 M5 front focal as seen here: http://swfa.com/Leupold-45-14x50-Mark-4-ERT-30mm-Riflescope-P45006.aspx . The weaver is certainly an interesting option too and I will research that one a bit.

I'll finish it off with a badger ordnance 20 MOA scope base and probably a bipod of some sort.

I've been considering buying a LTR for a while, but I want to know how they shoot before spending the $. I hope you post a range report when you get yours up and running.

Having used a lightweight 20" barrelled rifle in a precision rifle class, I don't recommend them. They jump around far too much, and the increased recoil is no fun when shooting long strings prone.
The LTR is a very good rifle though.
As far as optics, you seem very hung up on leupold.
For the type of shooting you are going to do, FFP is the way to go. The Weaver entry has everything you need at 700 bucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having used a lightweight 20" barrelled rifle in a precision rifle class, I don't recommend them. They jump around far too much, and the increased recoil is no fun when shooting long strings prone.
The LTR is a very good rifle though.
As far as optics, you seem very hung up on leupold.
For the type of shooting you are going to do, FFP is the way to go. The Weaver entry has everything you need at 700 bucks. </div></div>

Fair enough, although I already ordered the LTR I think you guys may have talked me into a Weaver. With a suppressor I figure the recoil won't be too bad, unfortunately it will take 6 months+ to get that as we all know. Initially I was planning to stick with Leupold due to the "Made in America" aspect, but upon further research discovered that they import too many of their parts to claim domestic origin anyway.

If the Weaver is no worse in terms of eye relief sensitivity and clarity yet costs about 2/3rds as much, I guess it would make sense to go with the Weaver.

Thanks for the responses.

The LTR is a great rifle. If you are worried about muzzle jump, then thread the barrel and install a brake before your class.

As for the optics, I am not familiar w/ the weaver scope that has been recommended. I would look at the Bushnell HDMR 3-21 power.

Badger rings and bases are great, I have also had good luck with TPS if you want to save a little money on the rings and base.

If you learn to shoot properly, muzzle jump does not occur. You are doing something wrong in your fundamentals if the rifle, regardless of its weight, is jumping. The bullet goes forward, recoil comes straight back, its your job to drive the rifle properly so recoil comes straight back and you can spot your hits/misses down range. They will teach you this in the class.
That being said, its always nice to have a muzzle brake or suppressor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqFH0A7Py1Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjG1JZxiui0&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndc_NVGEt24&feature=relmfu

The LTR is a fine rifle, and comes in a good stock.
I recommend you consider a PAST shoulder pad. If the LTR has the same recoil pad that came on my 5R, it is thin and fairly hard. A couple of long days shooting, especially if much is from prone will definately tell on your shoulder.

As far as "driving" the rifle correctly, much depends on the surface you are shooting from. We did much of ours from smooth/slick concrete and were unable to load the bipod. In those vidoes, you are looking at a rifle/scope combo that is quite a bit heavier than a 700 LTR. There is much good info in those videos and the lessons are excellent. An LTR with a weaver 3-15 will probbaly max out at about 10 pounds, I am going to go out on a limb and say the one video showing the rifle shot off of concrete goes about 14 pounds, give or take. The extra 4 pounds makes a huge difference in free recoil.

I just took a PR1 class with my LTR. All I have to say is after the class I feel I can drive it the way it was meant to be (still need to practice...LOL). I found out several very important things that I didn't know I was doing wrong or was wrong with my setup and am very happy with the results. I give credit to Tony and Rob of Team Hornedy, two great guys. Now I really want a PR2 from them (hint hint).

You will enjoy your class and as stated earlier the LTR shoots extremely well. I would recommend a muzzle break too, especially if your using a bipod off concrete.