• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

New AR-10 Owner. Looking for some advice

Apexpredator65

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2012
I purchased a VERY low round count used Armalite AR-10 in .243 Winchester. I honestly love the rifle. There's a couple things I'd like a suggestion for.

First off, reloading. I'm planning on using 95 Grain VLD Berger and Sierra Bullets. I'm looking for suggestions on Powder and loads you've found to be effective.

Second, Free Float hand guards. I need one. And it seems like I can find several for DPMS platforms and of course every option possible for AR-15, but for Armalite I have very few. The factory hand guards are 16 inches long and I'd like one that will at least come up close to the gas block. Let me know what all you masters of the long range think.

Thanks ladies and gentlemen.

Re: New AR-10 Owner. Looking for some advice

After a quick look, here's the closest in length that you're asking for that's in stock right now. They also have the 12" DD Lite for quite a bit more, but you have the full length rails with that if you want. There may be others out there as I didn't look very far.

JP 15.5" free float hand guard for Armalite: http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2355

Sorry, I'm no help on .243 in an autoloader. I've stayed away from that caliber due to reported COAL issues in P-Mags and the heavier rounds.

I have both DD and JP Enterprises FF tubes on Armalite AR10's and both are nice.

The JP unit is particularly nice as it is slim and will allow you to wrap your hand completely around the tube. You can add rails wherever you want or run it slick. Looks like they're currently available from Brownells and elsewhere.

Good luck with the load. I don't have experience with 243 in a gasser but I'd find a good starting load, and just ladder it up until you get the velocity or accuracy node you're looking for with the 95gr Bergers. Check the reloading forum. You'll find lots of great info on 243 loads there.

Congrats on the new stick!

I'm no help to you on the reloading aspects as I don't reload for any gassers in .243. I would suggest that you head down to the reloading sub-forum and see what you can search/find there and if nothing comes up, try your specific reloading questions as a new thread...it'll likely get more attention there.

As for the handguards, there are NUMEROUS options for Armalite pattern rifles, including but not limited to:

1) Armalite (obviously)
2) Daniel Defense
3) Larue
4) PRI
5) Superior Weapons Systems
6) Apex
7) JP Enterprises
8) Rainier Arms
9) Troy
10) Badger Ordnance (if you can find one...they've been out of production for a while now)

Finding any of the above in the LONG configurations you are looking for right now will be an exercise in patience. Best to get on the "Notify" lists as places like Rainier and MidwayUSA once you have decided on the specific model you want (or models once you have narrowed the field). The best "bang for the buck" are Armalite's aluminum AR-10T free-float tubes which can be adapter for rails in various positions if needed). Complete with the mounting hardware you need (including the longer ejection port door rod) for $80 for the rifle-length model...its damned hard to beat that depending on your needs/wants. AND...FWIW...Armalite has BLACK AR-10T handguard kits in stock and ready to roll now.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apexpredator65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the info guys! I've been looking at the JP and think I'm going to go that rout. </div></div>

Great choice! You will like it!