• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

New build

Hiccupp06

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2024
Maine
First off, thank you for the add to this community, Im just getting into long range shooting and went out and bought a savage axis in 6.5 creedmoor, Its my first build and cant wait to get it done. Ive gone and ordered a Arken optics LH-4 6-24x50 FFP VPR/VHR to start things off and soon plan on adding a MDT Oryx Chassis. This is my first build and yes its a budget build. Has anyone built one of these rifles and if so, how do you like it?

Reactions: Cody S
it's going to be light and kick more than you want for learning. also keep that action out of the dust. should be a fun learning toy.
next time buy you an American rifle company CDG and the same savage barrel and you'll be a much happier camper.
definitely buy a cheap vice (100$ from here) and a no go gauge and a piece of factory hornady match ammo for go gauge. also whatever a savage requires for action wrench or barrel nut wrench or whatever.
those factory savage barrels are light weight for target shooting and foul badly but man I've had great luck with them
I love me a chonky target rifle. it shoots so much easier and softer.

So should I just stick to the stock chassis for now to ease the kick? Also, what do you mean by foul badly? Thank you for the info you did provide. I’m hoping to learn a lot more.
which ever is heavier will generally kick less.
cheaper barrels like savage barrels are rougher in the bore. these rough edges and spots pick up microscopic traces of copper from the bullets. this copper(fouling) will cause problems(increased speed and pressure) after a couple hundred rounds so you'll have to clean more often,and cleaning will be slightly harder with a cheap(savage) barrel than an expensive(bartlein) barrel.

all that said, my couple savage barrels shot way better than I expected for the price! I shot them 6.5 creeds out and learned so much on the way. after spending 3k$ in ammo to burn out a savage barrel I decided to start buying the good blanks which shoot significantly better, clean way easier, and last longer between cleanings and in general.

Last edited: