New ELR rifle build. 338 IMP 37 shoulder. Throat for 285 AMAX?

backyardsniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2011
pottsville, ky
I'm in the middle of a build and we are getting the reamer ordered from Dave Kiff. We are going to run a 37 degree shoulder, and add the bore rider throat from the rogue. It is being designed as primarily a long range hunting rifle. It will see plenty of range time as well though. Has anyone had any experience with the 285 amax. i have had great luck with the 178, and 208 in both 308 and 300wm. The build is a a tac338, manners T5 100% carbon, weatherby internal box mag with rem 700bdl floor plate, Broughton 5C length is undecided but likely 27" or 28". Brake is also undecided at this point. Potentially badger thruster but I don't know if it will take enough off of the recoil or if I need to go to a bigger brake like a fat bastard. The badger can be contoured in to the barrel and they look really good but I'm still up in the air on that one. Anyway, how about the 285, I'm wanting the extra velocity and slightly flatter trajectory out to 1000yds plus the ballistic tip is very nice for hunting, or should I just throat it for the 300 berger?

I tried the 285 Amax in my 338 Lapua and could not get it to shoot well. I had better luck with the Hornady HPBT as far as accuracy was concerned. I like the 300 SMK's and 300 Berger's much more!

Last edited:
I had no luck with the 285s too, but they're still quite popular with a lot of folks, so they obviously work. I imagine you could push them close to 3000fps with a long barrel in a .338 LM Imp.

Have not tired the 285 but my 338 lapua imp has a 37 shoulder 29" barrel and shoots 300 gr berger and smk at 3000 plus with rl-25 and 33. With 25 it is at the top end with 33 I just got to the same speed with better accuracy and less pressure. It shoots the mile pretty easy most days.