• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

New experiment

shooter65

General
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Jun 19, 2004
    Indiana
    My buddy and I put some rubber shrink tube on our barrels today to see what effect it would have on barrel vibration and accuracy. Took almost 5 hrs to do two barrels. Need to clean the muzzle end up and put a tuner on it.
    he did his Kidd barrel and I did my 52 barrel.

shrinktube1.jpg

shrinktube2.jpg

shrinktube3.jpg

shrinktube4.jpg

shrinktube6.jpg

Re: New experiment

Got it on 2 of my CZs and a rem 700. Great protection and it seem to act as a vibe dampener. I took some cheap 22lr ammo and at 50 yards it shot like the expensive stuff. The cheap stuff was eley club and the expensive stuff was eley black box.

I also tried it with some higher velocity ammo and it grouped just a little better than without the wrap.

On the R700 280 I thought the barrel was shot out, after +2000 rounds. But after 10 rounds of settling back into the stock, my son fired a 3/8" 3 shot group at a 100 yards off a bipod.

We used electrical shrink wrap purchased at the supply house for 50 cent per foot and used a torch and about 15 minutes of work.

As cheap as it is you can't go wrong giving it a try.

Of course YMMV.

Did the test today with no tuner on the rifle. Weather was overcast and 50 degrees with light winds.

Ammo tested - Wolf Match, SK Standard, Eley Club, and Eley Blue Box 1073

No wind flags were used.

shrinktubetest40001.jpg

shrinktubetest10001.jpg

shrinktubetest20001.jpg

shrinktubetest30001.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did the test today with no tuner on the rifle. Weather was overcast and 50 degrees with light winds.

Ammo tested - Wolf Match, SK Standard, Eley Club, and Eley Blue Box 1073

No wind flags were used.

shrinktubetest40001.jpg

shrinktubetest10001.jpg

shrinktubetest20001.jpg

shrinktubetest30001.jpg
    </div></div>

So which rifle? The ruger or winchester? Also what was the distance? So how were the groups before the tubing install?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No. Doing ten shot fowlers between ammo changes the shooting groups </div></div>

thats the proceedure i use for everything. my cz never shot worth a darn with eley. then Neal Stepp at ISS told me to clean the bore before shooting eley. it was like night and day for my rifle. it shot the eley a lot better. i still just do foulers when shooting wolf/sk/lapua, ect.