• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

New Hodgdon Data

I noticed they changed it but didn't notice the max loads have changed. I haven't worked up riffle or pistol loads in months. I'm on there all the time with shotgun loads trying to figure that out all the time. Shotshell reloading is a totally different animal by the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Vp H cmhbffc

Yeah, the max loads have been reduced. On H1000 in a .338L it's about 3%. If you start at 10% under, you're now at 13% under the old recommended max. Sierra's max is now higher than Hodgdon's. My .308, 175gr load is under Hodgdon's max. with Varget but over Sierra's.

These companies seriously need to get their act together and use some kind of standardized testing. By publishing such different data from one another and then changing their own, they are conditioning reloaders to simply ignore the recommendations.

my Chronograph is either off or the velocity on the new web site is incorrect. 77.2 Grn of 4832 SC in .300 WM COAL at 3.50 Rem. Police rifle 1/10 twist. Site says max is 73 Grn and over 2800 fps I was at 2664 with my load Site length is 3.42 , I was at 3.50 Not sure but I could not get the speed they had my barrel is cut at 25" plus a Little jimmy brake. Crazy but it could be my graph its a RCBS

These companies seriously need to get their act together and use some kind of standardized testing. By publishing such different data from one another and then changing their own, they are conditioning reloaders to simply ignore the recommendations.

Actually, as I understand it, that is what Hodgdon is doing. I spoke with one of their reps 2-3yrs ago at SHOT about their load data and the comment was made that they were retesting everything that was sold under the Hodgdon business (IMR, Winchester(?) and Hodgdon). Apparently some of the power data from the companies that Hodgdon has purchased either never existed, was done with the old CUP method or was just guesstimate data. They were in the process of retesting all the data using the same methodology to get a standard, harmonized set of load data across the product lines. I forget how many, but they had a sizeable order in for universal receivers and pressure barrels. I remember because I spoke with the receiver maker (somewhere in Texas IIRC) about one for a ballistics lab I was working with and confirmed that he was going to be busy with a big order from Hodgdon.

It would seem they have started to get their data published from their efforts...

I have many different manuals...I never ignore my manuals! EVER! Some times cross referencing 3-5 manuals can tell you a story...if you pay attention. Reloading is a THINKING Man's undertaking, if you would rather be Yanking a Trigger hard and fast...have someone else do the reloading.

Just sayin'... ;)

Hodgdon tech told me once they list about 7% under what they actually got for max pressure. Understanding that there many variables at work in individual rifles I just work up slowly and watch case head expansion and loose primer pockets. I always consult several manuals for data when starting a new project. It gives me confidence that there are no typos in any one provider's data.
BTW, I liked the old format of their site better too.

ALL the data out sucks azz all the 5.56/.223 is from a 24 inch barrel with a 1/12 twist and all 300 BO is from a 16 inch barrel. These companies are clueless but since all their powder is selling at record rate why spend $$$$ on research?