• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing New Lathe for home shop

Marriedman1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Brandon Ms.
Alright ive been looking for a while and all i want is a lathe to do barrel work and action truing at home. I really think this might be all i need. Lets hear some thoughts.

G0709 14 X 40 Gunsmith's Gearhead Lathe

Re: New Lathe for home shop

That would definitely fit the bill. I have the smaller one G4003 and do barrel and action work and its more than capable. The G0709 has a few more features than mine like the foot brake and coolant system. And Grizzly service is pretty good. I've done 5 barrels and a couple actions so far with mine and they all turned out great.

I don't know a ton about these lathes (I mainly deal in CNC production equipment) but I called another dealer friend and he said that they were being made in China these days. From past experience the only thing I would look into is service and parts availability.
I sold a Chineese line for a bit until I had a lot of problems with customer service, part availability, and fit and finish. Is there a local stocking/servicing dealer in the area?

GET THE BIG LATHE

Even if you have to wait a little longer....go big. I wish I had gone with the big grizzly lathe, rather than the big Jet, but am glad I went big regardless.

Get to work you slacker.

I have had a lathe for 6 months with foot brake and the DRO.

Those are some nice features.

I have not got the coolant pump going yet. I am still with Kool Mist mixed 10:1 with water in a plant sprayer bottle.

my lathe has a foot brake and i don't think i have used it other than trying it out when i fist got it. i have yet to put coolant into my reservoir. we are talking about a manual lathe here. using an acid brush or wash bottle to apply cutting oil to a cut is easy enough and much cleaner. personally, i don't consider a foot brake and flood coolant as selling points for a lathe of this type.

i saw the small and large grizzly lathes in person for the first time at SHOT this year. i am much more impressed with them now. i don't know if the big one has much of an advantage for the hobby user working in his garage. if you are going to be doing more than hobby work and have the room for the big lathe, it does have some advantages.

I've had the G4003 model for 5+ years and have had no problems, I'd say for a Chinese lathe, they are as good as it gets, and parts will be avail. through Grizzly.

I also have one of their mills and it is isn't half the machine the lathe is.

The owner of Grizzly is a highly ranked F-class shooter (if that has anything to do with it) and I think may have been on the Palma team at one point.

I have a Griz, 0554Z. I agree with 300 as I have used the foot brake once, trying it out, and have yet to fill the coolant res and use it. I think spending the money and / or waiting for a bigger one is better. The 40 is long enough, I chose the wider bed as my basis as the wider the bed, the more stable the cross slide. Just my .02

I went and looked at the lathe you cited above. It is not the bench top model that I assumed. It looks like a nice machine for the money. It would save you some gas money heading down to my shop to chamber stuff. I still say wait just cause I will miss having you and Tyler hangin out in the shop.

+1 on the G4003. +1 ref the Grizzly mill (machine is fine, but too small). The lathe is a really good size for doing rifle work. It's not perfect, but what is. Grizzly customer support has been really good. I wish the mill were bigger (gotta start somewhere), but the next one is gonna be a CNC. Probably buy the big Grizzly CNC. They have taken good care of me.

That explains why they have South Bend in their showroom.

I know several people that have different sizes of them. Most are happey but at least one has issues with his when it broke while cutting aluminum. I have to wonder though all these lathes made in china look the same. Probably made in the same facility.

One thing about the chinese is they will and can built nice, quality machinery if the contract pays enough. It's all about the $$$$$ just like here.