• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

New Ruger RPR's - Magnum options

I’ve lusted after a 338 Lapua for a very long time, but that would purely be a “Look I have a 338 Lapua” more than it would actually get shot, so now I second guess if I want it, or a different magnum round.

If you reload (or got in on Prime Ammo's recent amazing moving sale), the .338 is not a bad option to shoot compared to a .300wm.
It's a bit softer shooting for the most part and only a bit more expensive.
I wound up awhile ago with near 1000 rounds of .338LM new, loaded in Lapua Brass for $3 per round in a trade.

Of course the new super cool round is the .300 Norma so that might be another consideration.

I’ve done a bit of reading on the 300 Norma and best I can tell it’s going to be custom built or a really expensive rifle.

Maybe the Ruger Precision and the Tac A1 I just bought will look similar enough that the wife won’t notice...... haha

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1514752993927.jpg
    FB_IMG_1514752993927.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 232
Picked up my rpr .300 win mag today. Many positives about this gun and things I like but when i look at a review I look at the bad. Have not shot it yet but my initial impressions/ grips are... in no order.

1. Pistol grip with no storage? Why?

2. Folding butt stock is not easy to close/ fold. Takes pressure on the stock on mine to close and still I need to wack the button with something to get it to open. I will fix it but why should I have to.

3. Trigger. To say it is externally adj. is a stretch. It can be done, just easier to drop the lower with 2 screws and adj. after I got frustrated. Trigger is not great. Not horrible. But will be my first mod.

4. Muzzle break weather it works or not looks like it belongs on a .50 cal. Second mod

Like I said I look at the negative reviews when I look at buying something. Being a $1500 gun if it shoots lights out these will be my only complaints.

Picked up my rpr .300 win mag today. Many positives about this gun and things I like but when i look at a review I look at the bad. Have not shot it yet but my initial impressions/ grips are... in no order.

1. Pistol grip with no storage? Why?

2. Folding butt stock is not easy to close/ fold. Takes pressure on the stock on mine to close and still I need to wack the button with something to get it to open. I will fix it but why should I have to.

3. Trigger. To say it is externally adj. is a stretch. It can be done, just easier to drop the lower with 2 screws and adj. after I got frustrated. Trigger is not great. Not horrible. But will be my first mod.

4. Muzzle break weather it works or not looks like it belongs on a .50 cal. Second mod

Like I said I look at the negative reviews when I look at buying something. Being a $1500 gun if it shoots lights out these will be my only complaints.

Any way you could tell us what the COAL length is for the magazine?

Reactions: 0724/1030
3.85" mags is fantastic news.

I've been wanting for this rifle to exist for years. I've gone from a Ruger American 308 to fool around with, to a RPR, and this is the natural progression. Almost bought an American in 300wm to rebuild to suit, but the retarded mags held me off. So glad I didn't go there.

Now I wonder what are the chances these will turn up as a Black Friday special somewhere, or if I even want to wait to find out. Ready to dive on one of these right now.

Just bought mine in 338LM at Big R. $1599. Recoil isn't bad at all with that huge muzzle brake. Only fired off one round. Hoping to get the scope and bipod mounted on it tomorrow and sighted in soon after that.

Removed, two posts above already answered my question.. I dont know how I missed it.. Sorry hide. I guess I was THAT GUY...

Last edited:
I am also interested in a 300WM but I want to know the mag size as well. So I called Ruger customer service and the lady I spoke to didn't know the answer and said she would call me back. A few hours later she did call me back and told me that the mag measures 3.850 for both the 300 and the 338. She then said the only difference is the feed lips are different... whatever that means. Lastly, she said the internal dimensions are 3.750. Maybe someone else can call them and see if the answer I got is reliable.

It is. Both use CIP length mags.

Reactions: Vidar
My local gun shop mom n pop store in business over 100 years can get me a .338LM from Davidsons Gallery of guns for $1488.66 he marks up 7% above cost. I check gun prices often and you can't beat this deal I'm thinking. They have plenty if magnums in stock now.

A buddy of mine got a 338 LP for Christmas. Well, it was supposed to be opened on Christmas morning. He got it last month and was gracious enough to let me shoot a couple rounds through it. Must admit that I was surprised at the lack of recoil. Was expecting it to kick the stew out of me, but it wasn't bad. Makes me want to get one.

Reactions: 300wmSlick
I bought one and have 30 rounds through it so far. There is recoil but it isn't as bad as I was expecting. I removed the trigger adjustment spring ( I did this on my RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor too) and the trigger feels much better now.

I'm glad to see companies bringing out more options but I am also wary of them being so easily attainable. Lots of people will buy them and aren't ready to shoot a caliber that you need solid fundamentals for. Let alone people that will start reloading for them without experience. I'm sure the major training centers worry about new shooters arriving with something like that. The best news is I bet they go cheap after people have to buy ammo or get beat up....

Reactions: jda2631
I agree with you. I have been shooting for a while now and wanted to step up from a Creedmoor to be able to reach out to a mile with better consistentcy. I think this gun is a great budget option and the 300 win mag is great budget minded round for that.

Reactions: Burnbio
I'm glad to see companies bringing out more options but I am also wary of them being so easily attainable. Lots of people will buy them and aren't ready to shoot a caliber that you need solid fundamentals for. Let alone people that will start reloading for them without experience. I'm sure the major training centers worry about new shooters arriving with something like that. The best news is I bet they go cheap after people have to buy ammo or get beat up....
I have had my 300 win mag for 3 weeks now with approx. 90 rounds fired. Mine appears to be a solid 1/2 MOA with hand loads. The recoil is comparable to slightly more than my 243 RPR. The only people to feel any discomfort from this beast are the shooters on either side of the muzzle break:giggle:.

We can hope and wish for CIP length at least!

I've got some 3.750" accurate mags already...
FYI, they chambered it to allow long, heavy bullets to be seated out of the case a decent amount based upon my measurements. A COAL of 3.646" is where I just touched rifling with a 225gr hornady ELD match. Going to start load development @3.621" (.025" jump) w/H1000 powder. Given the magazine, chamber, 1:9 twist rifling, and heavy contour 26" long barrell, I think they set this rifle up to take full advantage of what the .300WM catridge has to offer.

Last edited:
I know it has been a while since anyone was active on this thread, but can someone who has a 300wm version pull their bolt out and use a micrometer to give me some specs?
I have a hunch that the bolt bodies are the same between the 338 lapua and the 300wm version just with the appropriate bolt heads is all. I haven't met anyone personally that has a 300wm version though or found one in any of my local gun shops to be able to tell.
I really can't see Ruger spending the extra money on tooling and dies to manufacture two different bolt bodies for these guns. If they are the same I'm assuming (dangerous I know) that they didn't market it as "switch caliber" because of the additional liability potential problems.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I know it has been a while since anyone was active on this thread, but can someone who has a 300wm version pull their bolt out and use a micrometer to give me some specs?
I have a hunch that the bolt bodies are the same between the 338 lapua and the 300wm version just with the appropriate bolt heads is all. I haven't met anyone personally that has a 300wm version though or found one in any of my local gun shops to be able to tell.
I really can't see Ruger spending the extra money on tooling and dies to manufacture two different bolt bodies for these guns. If they are the same I'm assuming (dangerous I know) that they didn't market it as "switch caliber" because of the additional liability potential problems.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

.990"

Reactions: Burnbio and fxdwgkd
Since this is my first RPR I am still learning some things about what works on it and what doesn't, so forgive me if I end up asking a stupid question (or two).
Does the same triggers for the short action RPR's work for the long action RPR's?
Also would a Magpul PRS gen 3 work on the long action RPR?
Is there really any parts/accessories that won't work on the long action version that do work on the short actions (other than the more obvious things like the handguards)?

I actually got to molest one of the new RPR 338 Lapua at the local sportsman's today, from what I could see it looks to be the same trigger it's definitely the same stock, so a Gen 3 PRS would be good to go. The Handguard, Receiver and Bolt are definitely larger.

I actually got to molest one of the new RPR 338 Lapua at the local sportsman's today, from what I could see it looks to be the same trigger it's definitely the same stock, so a Gen 3 PRS would be good to go. The Handguard, Receiver and Bolt are definitely larger.
I couldn't stop at just drooling and molesting one, I had to buy it. I just couldn't walk away haha
Thanks for the information though. I haven't been able to find much online when it comes to parts for the magnum RPR's.

Reactions: Burnbio
I couldn't stop at just drooling and molesting one, I had to buy it. I just couldn't walk away haha
Thanks for the information though. I haven't been able to find much online when it comes to parts for the magnum RPR's.

I'd contact Timney and double check to see if the trigger is indeed compatible with the magnum RPR. I could have been fed wrong information but when the magnum's were first released, I was told they weren't.