Switch barrel Remington 700, let’s talk options,

Unless you have a talented machinist who will also work basically for free, this project has a reasonably high chance of failure. In addition it would almost certainly ending up costing more than the other proposed ideas here, even with the use of the 700 actions you already have.

If it was me and I wanted a compact rifle but wanted to use some of the random 700 actions you had floating around, I would just put together 2 rifles, one in each caliber, with a Remage barrel nut and a lightweight folding stock/chassis.

Reactions: hseII
DIY varies depending upon project. In this case, he's already got everything. Maybe $500 of machine-shop services max and he's done.

If you're still living in the mid-80s, I might agree with that figure. It's gonna cost a lot more than that in this economy.

A WTO switch lug installed with the Remington actions is the easy button.

Some of the cartridge choices aren't gonna work due to the action and bolt head diameter. That's a whole nuther issue.

I asked this question earlier to another commenter, now I will ask it to you. Where do you see this supposed money going that I would be wasting? The only supposed difference is having a Remington action cut for interrupted threads, which isn’t a certainty, just an option. So tabling that point completely, why would I need to buy a new action to make a switch barrel rifle? What do you see as the costs involved and where do you see them going? Few guys, including you keep saying it, so please educate me as to where 2,000.00 is going to be needed into working a 700 action to accept a prefit chambered barrel for a switch barrel? You can’t include the barrels. Those costs are the same with any action. So please, where is this “ton of money” going?

Your "ton of money" will be going into polishing the turd that is a 700 action to do some odd ball idea you have. Gunsmiths are not cheap. Doing all that polishing will cost more money than you think. Not sure where this $2000 number comes from but you can do it for much less and almost a push if you sell those 700 actions you have sitting around and buy a custom action that can easily have shouldered prefits made for it. The whole interrupted threads things sounds great and looks cool in movies of a hitman climbing on a building but for a precision rifle it's again a turd of an idea. If you wanted to use the 700 then get the WTO lug installed as mentioned and go that route.

And stop trying to make this an old guy versus young thing. It's not. It's a people who have been doing this and learned a better way versus people who have a good idea and don't realize it's not.

IMO is not just "oh, the new thing" Its a simple fact that technology has moved on including CNC machining that supports the accuracy and precision needed to allow prefit barrels to be made and installed at home with no worries about head space (well, unless you got a barrel from a smith who doesn't know what he's doing.

But the OP should do what he wants...his money, his rifle. Go for it.

Reactions: hseII and Rob01
Your "ton of money" will be going into polishing the turd that is a 700 action to do some odd ball idea you have. Gunsmiths are not cheap. Doing all that polishing will cost more money than you think. Not sure where this $2000 number comes from but you can do it for much less and almost a push if you sell those 700 actions you have sitting around and buy a custom action that can easily have shouldered prefits made for it. The whole interrupted threads things sounds great and looks cool in movies of a hitman climbing on a building but for a precision rifle it's again a turd of an idea. If you wanted to use the 700 then get the WTO lug installed as mentioned and go that route.

And stop trying to make this an old guy versus young thing. It's not. It's a people who have been doing this and learned a better way versus people who have a good idea and don't realize it's not.
So what you’re saying is Remington can’t have shouldered pre-fit barrels made for them?

So what you’re saying is Remington can’t have shouldered pre-fit barrels made for them?

Oh it can if you get the recoil lug pinned and then have the smith make them at the same time or if the smith will keep the measurements of your action and can make it later. If you just plan to do basically one barrel each for two calibers and never plan to use any other or want any other caliber then you can make that work. The WTO lug is the way to do this if that is the plan. Get it made with the WTO lug.

Reactions: kthomas and hseII
I switch barrels around with sevral remington actions. I use remage barrel nuts. I like you have actions to use. Seems to me the waste of money would be not using the actions you have.🤣🤣🤣

The only thing I have done to any of them is get a bolt handle welded and timed.

Reactions: Dieseldaddy
If you don't think switch barrels are popular today then you have your head in the sand. LOL Shouldered prefit barrels are what most like to use when building a rifle so you can change barrels at home. A 700 action would be the last action I would use to do this though. You want to start with something easy then get an action that can take shouldered prefits and you can change the bolt face. The Bighorn Origin or TL3 are like that.

Not that big of a deal if he has a regular gunsmith that spins up his barrels.

Having a 'smith keep your actions measurements on file (after an initial measurement) is no big deal at all.

If starting from scratch, yeah, there's definitely better options.

I just switch barrels on my regular rem 700. Action wrench and a barrel vise, takes about 5 minutes.
There's actually a video on the hide here somewhere with a guy who's got wrench flats machined into his barrel.

Reactions: kthomas
I just switch barrels on my regular rem 700. Action wrench and a barrel vise, takes about 5 minutes.
There's actually a video on the hide here somewhere with a guy who's got wrench flats machined into his barrel.

There's more than a few people that have wrench flats machined in, to make the process a little simpler.

The video you are thinking of may be Jacob Bynum and one of his AIs?

Reactions: Taylorbok
Not that big of a deal if he has a regular gunsmith that spins up his barrels.

Having a 'smith keep your actions measurements on file (after an initial measurement) is no big deal at all.

If starting from scratch, yeah, there's definitely better options.

And I said that in a later post.

And I said that in a later post.

Yeah, I hadn't got that far in the thread yet when I made that post.

The guy already has R700 actions on hand, so no real reason to acquire new actions for this pet project, as obscure as it is. I do agree, starting from scratch he would be better served with a more modern action that has the functionality he desires already built in.

Yeah, I hadn't got that far in the thread yet when I made that post.

The guy already has R700 actions on hand, so no real reason to acquire new actions for this pet project, as obscure as it is. I do agree, starting from scratch he would be better served with a more modern action that has the functionality he desires already built in.

Yup his time and money so if he wants to mess with the Rems then he can have at it. Learned that lesson long ago though and won't again.

Interrupted threads have long been a solution to take-down guns (shotgun and rifle) as well as quick change barrels on machine guns. This is not unheard of tech, though I can’t think of a well known use of interrupted threads in a precision rifle. That said, I’m not Forgotten Weapons.

We haven’t heard what Longrifles Inc has to say on the matter.

IMG_5034.jpg

Yup his time and money so if he wants to mess with the Rems then he can have at it. Learned that lesson long ago though and won't again.
I've still got mine and it shoots great, however I've got so much into it that I'd have been much farther ahead (dollars and features) to buy a custom action and ditch the Rem but I didn't know squat back then

I've still got mine and it shoots great, however I've got so much into it that I'd have been much farther ahead (dollars and features) to buy a custom action and ditch the Rem but I didn't know squat back then

Yeah I still have my 700 from 1993 that I got trued and has had 9 .308 barrels on it also but everything else is custom. I had a couple other custom 700s in the early 2000s but sold them.

It appears that you are the only individual in this forum with experience in 12.7x57.
Many years ago, I was a satisfied user of this caliber. Now that I am retired, I am considering building one myself
There are a few US made cartridges that are very similar to include the 510 whisper. I just prefer the Anthis as there is factory brass still available if you know where to look.

Reactions: alexunderfire