• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

New to AR 15 Long Range Shooting

ahiaring

Private
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2014
New to the sight - Love it and hope to become a contributer. I am brand new to the world of AR 15s. I know a thing or two about long range hunting with bolt action big game rifles but nothing on AR's. I wanted to get into some precision tactical shooting competions locally so I purchased the following:

Bushmaster predator 1/8" twist 20" barrel, Vortex Viper HST 4-16X44 MRAD, harris bipod.

The majority of the shooting done as I understand is 100-600 yards, but every shoot has some targets out to 900 yards, which is really pushing the 223 envelope. The only way I am going to make this work is with the heavy bullets. I am not quite motivated to start custom loading for this venture yet.

So my question is what is a consensus of the best factory ammo for this purpose. I looked at the 75 grain hornady superformance match at advertised 2900 FPS also Buffalo Bore 77 grain loads at an advertised 2900 plus. OBVIOUSLY I need to find the most accuate load, but I need some velocity to control wind out to 900...What do you suggest?

I have herd that the super performance is not intended for semi autos. I have got to 850 yards with 75 gr and 77 gr bullets moving significantly slower than 2900fps. They are hand loads but have no problem banging the steel effectively. If I remember I think they were moving 2700 fps it was a old recipe I am no longer using. This was with my DDv7 16" 1/7.

Last edited:
The 20" varmint with 1/8 should do just fine, I use almost the same set-up.

As long as your rifle likes the 75's or the 77's some of your factory ammo options include Black hills, Southwest Ammo, Silver State Armory, IMI, and Hornady.

Just google by the bullet such as 77smk etc. Options will include both .223 and 5.56 loads.

Velocity of 2750 will keep you from going subsonic until about 900 yards.

My rifle (20" 1/8 service rifle profile and 5.56 Nato Match/SAM-R chamber) with my ammo (77smk) groups very well up to 900 , but hits on steel at this distance will often lack an authoratative ping.

Last edited:
You might want to look into turret labels for your elevation turret on your scope. Range the distance then turn you turret to the distance and shoot. Not necessary to count clicks. You will have to hold for wind like you would without the labels though.

Custom Turret Systems | Affordable Custom Turret Labels

Attachments

• custom turrets .jpg
    custom turrets .jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Screen Shot 2014-07-02 at 1.17.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-02 at 1.17.27 AM.png
    91.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
If you have time to single feed, check out the sierra 80 or berger 82. Both are easy to tune, and will reach out to 1000 with a lot less wind drift and somewhat less drop than the 75/77s.

If you have time to single feed, check out the sierra 80 or berger 82. Both are easy to tune, and will reach out to 1000 with a lot less wind drift and somewhat less drop than the 75/77s.

This

And even if you cant single feed, i know there are people in the world of high power that mag feed 80s. Worth a shot, because the difference in BC is significant.

Why did you purchase a 20" AR-15 for long range shooting?

It's MUCH easier to do what you've described with a 24-26" barreled AR.

900yards with the AR-15 & factory 77gr bullets? I hope you know quite a bit about wind reading...