• Happy 4th of July! Use code AMERICA24 to get 15% off subscriptions

All subscriptions are on sale! Pick yours below

Subscribe

New to AR platform looking for some help.

What tools are needed for properly fitting everything? Any thing special needed?

I think the most important thing is something to hold to upper while you're tightening the barrel nut to the rifle. There are blocks that you can use to put the upper into a vice block or something like the Kley-Zion spline tool.

For the lower you can get a lower vice block.

Other than maybe the barrel nut wrench if your choosen handguard doesn't come with one and some hole punches that is about all that is needed. Someone might come and think of something else.

Reactions: rpoL98
I think the most important thing is something to hold to upper while you're tightening the barrel nut to the rifle. There are blocks that you can use to put the upper into a vice block or something like the Kley-Zion spline tool.
"clam-shell" blocks are cheap, widely available, and very handy. Also the No-MAR PlastixRevolution receiver vise blocks as another way to skin the cat. Alternative to the KZ spline tool might be the MAGPUL BEV block. Hardcore purists will be along shortly to swear by aluminum barrel vise blocks, but, meh.

For the lower you can get a lower vice block.
clamps into your vise, and holds the lower via the magwell. I think the BEV block also does that, not sure.

Other than maybe the barrel nut wrench if your choosen handguard doesn't come with one and some hole punches that is about all that is needed. Someone might come and think of something else.
usually a torque wrench (3/8"dr or 1/2"dr) comes in handy for torquing your barrel nut to spec. A set of Roll Pin Punches, and Roll Pin Starter Punches, come in pretty handy to keep the punch from slipping off the tiny roll pin and scratching your new receiver all-to-hell, Highly Recommended.

What tools are needed for properly fitting everything? Any thing special needed?

Imo...

Basic hand tools.+
A combination pin punch set.
Allen keys
Vice block (mag well)
Geissele reaction rod or similar. locks into chamber for torquing barrel nuts and muzzle devices and holds your upper at various angles.
A decent vice.

I would stay away from the clamshell type, they tend to leave Mark's and put stress on unwanted places.

Last edited:
if the bolt catch on your lower is secured with a roll pin instead of a set-screw, there's specialty (long-reach) punches to facilitate that, starter, roll-pin. and tape some cardboard to the side of your receiver to protect it.