• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes New VietNam Commerative M40

CFA

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2010
South EastTexas
I just got an M40 and am wondering what to do. I would like to know THE choice scope, rings, and mount to put on this jewel. At this time I want to keep the rifle as stock as possible but may change it later if I can get into Long Range Shooting as much as I would like. I've read about the NightForce and opposed to S&B, etc. I would eventually like to get to 1000 yards and want to only buy one set up. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Semper Fi

Re: New VietNam Commerative M40

.........that rifle would seem to be more of a "safe queen" than a everyday rifle.

You need to decide if you are trying to keep it "old school" (that would dictate the type of scopes) or if you are trying to have it be a current build.

You'd be better off not burning that one up. They still go for a bunch of $$$, and it's only gonna go up. Here's mine, It's shot but not too much.
Guns349.jpg

Guns286.jpg

Thanks for the insight. guys. Sounds like the thing to do is keep it as virgin as possible. What type of base is that and where can I get it? Thanks for the help.

check swfa .com for a reproduction base and rings
redfield was the correct type of base

a 1903 sling would be correct.

a redfield scope would be correct w/ a tombstone rectile, but those are big money.

Keep it as is and treat it like a lady! I've got an old Lee Enfield from 1915 - all original, matching numbers even on the wood....I love to shoot it but hate taking it to the range for fear of wrecking a piece of history.

Maybe your M40 is not quite the same being a commemorative...but it's a collector's piece and, given time, it'll be worth more "virgin".

When you are ready / have more time to shoot go out and buy a "working rifle".

If you got a great deal on it and its NIB just keep it in the safe,if its been fired have fun with it,its not a REAL M40,I understand the collector value of these,but as a shooter it has no bedding,pillars or bedding block,just my 02 cents either way its a great rifle

Seems like a fine line sometimes between collecting jewelry and equipping yourself with tools.
I have a couple jewels not as coveted as the m40's but my tools are catching my eye more everyday.
I think what I like about my jewels is they reflect a time when our country was a <span style="text-decoration: line-through">better place</span> best place ever in the history of man.

I think I got an O.K. deal on it. The original owner said he had fired 6 shots down the tube. The "cherry" has been broken and that is what is bothering me about keeping it for a collector piece. I would like to keep it like it is and build or buy one I could shoot without feeling guilty....if that makes any sense.

Are you guys saying that RedField base is rare?? I have a few of them in my scope mounting box. I guess I should clean them up a little bit and put them away. I never considered a RedField one piece base as rare?? The RedField scope mounting system was the popular mounts in the 60's, 70's, and 80's. They were popular because of the screw windage adjustment. And because they were steel, and very strong.

TombStone reticle?? Isn't it just the old Redfield heavy post that extends just slightly above the horizontal crosshair?? But it is very thick, and tapered slightly?? Back in the 60's and 70's the RedField scope was considered one of the better scopes. I still have a 2X7 TV Screen scope, and a straight 4X power. My 2X7 has the heavy post. Tom.

The Redfield base shown is the "Holy Grail" for the M40. It is marked 40X, it is not a standard 700 base. Notice the square corners and the location of the windage screws in relation to the rear mounting screw. I've never seen one for sale, EVER! The "Tombstone" Redfield was the original Accu-Range, not he current version. It had the two wires at the top of the field of view and the sliding "Tombstone" built in for ranging. Lots of info can be found on other "Optics" and "Gunsmithing" threads related to "M40".