• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Newbie - Need Recommendations for FFP Scope (<$1,000) for Precision 22 LR Rifle

Greg5611

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2018
I'm a newbie which you will quickly surmise. I've recently started shooting 22 LR bolt action rifle with targets ranging from 25 yards out to 300 yards. Targets vary in size depending on distance (1" dia. to maybe 6"). I've been using someone else's rifle (very high end Vudoo 22 LR and NightForce scope). I don't want to spend that kind of $$$ starting out in the sport; that said, I think I would be willing to spend up to $1,000 for the right scope. I've been told I should look for a First Focal Plane scope with magnification out to at least 24x. Most of the shooters I shoot with use MILs vs. MOA so I would like to stick with that. I'm told a Zero Stop would be nice. I've seen an Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27 x 50 APLR3 FFP IR MIL (not real sure I know what most of that means) listing for $959. I've been directed to this forum to ask the experts for recommendations. In case it matters, I'm considering a CZ 455 22 LR rifle and will post another question regarding that choice on a different board on this forum. Any and all help/recommendations would be appreciated.

I'm really liking my Athlon Eres ETR in MOA for rimfire. With it's 110 MOA elevation and windage mounted on a 30 MOA rail I can go from a 50 yd zero to 200 yd zero in just less than one full rotation of the elevation turret. 6 MOA at 100, 23 MOA at 200.

i-CQmjTPP-M.jpg

i-fMrkLSJ-M.jpg

XTR2 4-20 > Bushnell H2DMR 3.5-21 > SWFA 5-20 mechanically rock solid and glass I cal tier 3.

Very close though. I have all 3 of the above. Actually the new Nikon FX1000 decent and also the GAP deal on the Bushnell 4-18 (have those also lol).
All the newer models are better than the older ones (I know both Bushneell and Burris improved their glass from initial releases). I personally would stay away from Athlon but they are getting a following due to price. Killswitchengage tracking test weren't stellar tho, the three listed above were "boringly accurate"...

GL!
DT

Swfa 5-20 on my Vudoo. It needs a few things like the zero stop shim kit and the parallax gripper.

My second choice would have been the Burris XTR 2. I don't love the Bushnell 3.5-21DMR but my shooting partner does. Also the Vortex PST2 has a nice reticle and warranty.

Reactions: Zack_va248
The PST II 5-25x50 has decent glass, reticle and can focus to 25 yards. I have the 5-25 on my 17HMR trainer and think it is a great combo, very easy to see the 17 caliber bug holes at distance.

Reactions: Diver160651
I'm a Vortex fan - currently have two Gen-2 Viper PSTs (one on my CZ 455 .22), a Gen-1 Razor 5-20x50, and a Gen-2 Razor 4.5-27x56. All are great scopes.

With that said - if I went out today to buy a scope for my CZ 455, and knowing what I know now, I would DEFINITELY call @gr8fuldoug at CameraLand and discuss Athlon Midas TAC 6-24x50 and similar. I put an Athlon Argos BTR 6-24 on my nephew's Ruger RPRim, and I was very surprised at how well this low-end scope performs. A buddy of mine has the Midas TAC 6-24 on his CZ, and I definitely like it.

Be careful about getting lured into super-duper magnification, especially in a fixed-power scope. If you compete in PRS-style events, you won't run much over 12-15x the great majority of the time - if you do, you'll run out the clock looking for targets in the narrow field of view. I have found my 3-15x Vortex Viper is completely adequate magnification for .22 competition - I'm shooting PRS and steel, not black dots. I do one competition where higher magnification would be ok, but it's certainly not necessary.

There's just no need to spend a fortune on a .22 scope.

Reactions: Zack_va248
Get an Athlon Midas Tac, that's what I plan to do. I have two Midas BTR's and they are solid and now I want a FFP scope for rimfire. As to the rifle, I would hold out for the Tikka T1X. I have a CZ 455 that I have dumped too much money into. It's a good rifle and very accurate, but that took a replacement barrel, trigger work and a lot of tweaking. The Tikka will probably have a much better trigger out of the box and should be more refined for a similar price. I'm too far into the CZ to switch gears now but I wouldn't buy one again with the current options that are out there.

I've got the Ares BTR in mil on my vudoo and love it. It is however, my best scope, so i may not be in a great position to advise. For many on here, its their least expensive glass. No doubt there are better scopes out there, just not sure for the money you can do better. Street price on the Ares should be closer to $850, especially if you call Doug, don't pay a grand for it.

It tracks well, returns to zero. ZS's are easy to set and the glasd looks good to my low budget eye-Norcal911

I'm a Vortex fan - currently have two Gen-2 Viper PSTs (one on my CZ 455 .22), a Gen-1 Razor 5-20x50, and a Gen-2 Razor 4.5-27x56. All are great scopes.

With that said - if I went out today to buy a scope for my CZ 455, and knowing what I know now, I would DEFINITELY call @gr8fuldoug at CameraLand and discuss Athlon Midas TAC 6-24x50 and similar. I put an Athlon Argos BTR 6-24 on my nephew's Ruger RPRim, and I was very surprised at how well this low-end scope performs. A buddy of mine has the Midas TAC 6-24 on his CZ, and I definitely like it.

Be careful about getting lured into super-duper magnification, especially in a fixed-power scope. If you compete in PRS-style events, you won't run much over 12-15x the great majority of the time - if you do, you'll run out the clock looking for targets in the narrow field of view. I have found my 3-15x Vortex Viper is completely adequate magnification for .22 competition - I'm shooting PRS and steel, not black dots. I do one competition where higher magnification would be ok, but it's certainly not necessary.

There's just no need to spend a fortune on a .22 scope.
Sound advice. Can't go wrong with a Vortex gen2 PST for a rimfire.