• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Now That's a Turn .... USS Gerald Ford Sea Trials

BB 62 New Jersey was wondering how loud those guns were when they went off .

My brother on the Iowa (BB-61)

1572664153837.png

I toured the New Jersey when it docked next to us in San Diego. Impressive!

Reactions: 1J04
That has to be awesome but the sound must go through the ship , foam ear plugs can't possibly help. Does the ship rock when those fuckers go off ?

It's hard to describe. I honestly can't imagine what it must be like onboard, but I can tell you that when standing on the flight deck and the Mighty Mo comes alongside and does a barrage, it's a religious event. I can't even remember how far off our Port side she was when she lit them off, but it was incredibly loud. Later that night she lit off her CIWS with tracers only. Looked like rope looping around in the sky. Will never forget that experience. *goosebumps set in*

Edited due to my misinformation regarding drafting during broadside. I swore they did. Apparent illusion do to muzzle blast.

Last edited:
It's hard to describe. I honestly can't imagine what it must be like onboard, but I can tell you that when standing on the flight deck and the Mighty Mo comes alongside and does a barrage, it's a religious event. I can't even remember how far off our Port side she was when she lit them off, but it was incredibly loud, and they do definitely list, and draft. Later that night she lit off her CIWS with tracers only. Looked like rope looping around in the sky. Will never forget that experience. *goosebumps set in*

Awesome and Thank You for your Service. That sound on board must rock through your body forget the ears !!!

Very cool you still have all that. I'm pretty sure I've got my Shellback Certificate somewhere. 90% of my other crap is gone for several reasons. Oh well, it's our stories and they live in our hearts n souls.

I believe the Navy is (was) unique among the military services as it pertains to old traditions preserved... until recently. I've heard that everything has been toned down A LOT because of the "mixed company" now on Navy ships. It's too bad. Very sad, really. What an experience it was! I don't think there's anything else in the military like "crossing the line."

1572665535274.png

1572665609511.png

Reactions: WATERWALKER
Awesome and Thank You for your Service. That sound on board must rock through your body forget the ears !!!

It has to.

You could feel Aircraft launching off the Carriers I was on due to the Steam Catapults. It shook the Ship a bit. And those full power runs are not smooth sailing. The entire Ship is vibrating like you would not believe. Crap flying all over if it wasn't secured properly. And those turns when you're in a passageway or even just standing in the Hangar Deck, are awesome. It's pretty phenomenal, and a tad spooky to be honest. But regarding sound, there is NOTHING like not having hearing protection when the birds come home and trap. The arresting gears when pulled out by the tailhooks let off one helluve high pitch screech, after of course the thud of a jet slamming into your flightdeck.

Bird Farms are very very loud. It's 100% why I say "huh" so often. If you ever get the chance to go on a Tiger Cruise, DO IT. No matter what it takes to make it happen, just do it. It'll blow your mind.

I believe the Navy is (was) unique among the military services as it pertains to old traditions preserved... until recently. I've heard that everything has been toned down A LOT because of the "mixed company" now on Navy ships. It's too bad. Very sad, really. What an experience it was! I don't think there's anything else in the military like "crossing the line."

View attachment 7175366

View attachment 7175369

PC culture has ruined most things today. You would think people joining the Navy would want to live that old tradition of the Navy regardless.

@Racer88 You gotta be one happy bastard that you still have all that. Incredible. I may still have a few Wog pics from 81 when I went across. It was brutal then, believe that. By the time I got out it was so watered down on what you could and couldn't do. It was a damn shame. And ya, mixing up the crews on Man of War was just one tipping point for me. I had had enough after 10. There was no way I could do another 10, and I knew it. At 10 it's really shit or get off the pot, right? So ya, bon voyage'

It has to.

You could feel Aircraft launching off the Carriers I was on due to the Steam Catapults. It shook the Ship a bit. And those full power runs are not smooth sailing. The entire Ship is vibrating like you would not believe. Crap flying all over if it wasn't secured properly. And those turns when you're in a passageway or even just standing in the Hangar Deck, are awesome. It's pretty phenomenal, and a tad spooky to be honest. But regarding sound, there is NOTHING like not having hearing protection when the birds come home and trap. The arresting gears when pulled out by the tailhooks let off one helluve high pitch screech, after of course the thud of a jet slamming into your flightdeck.

Bird Farms are very very loud. It's 100% why I say "huh" so often. If you ever get the chance to go on a Tiger Cruise, DO IT. No matter what it takes to make it happen, just do it. It'll blow your mind.

Yep... even in my stateroom, it was loud... could hear the turbines whine ALL THE TIME. Besides my occupationally-related noise issues, I'm pretty sure my tinnitus is partially related to the noise on the ship.

The "cat shots" would send a shudder throughout the ship. And, even below decks, we could hear the screach of the arresting gear.

Took my dad on a Tiger Cruise (from Pearl Harbor to San Diego). He LOVED it.

I was very fortunate that I got to ride in the back seat of an S-3 Viking... got a cat shot and trap. Also found out that the S-3 Viking is FULLY aerobatic! The pilot's call sign was "Dangerous." LT "Dangerous" Dan Rose. I'll never forget that day. Coolest thing I've ever done or ever will do in my life! That one day (April 13, 1990 - a "Friday the 13th!") was worth my whole three years in the Navy.

Reactions: candyx and 1J04
@Racer88 You gotta be one happy bastard that you still have all that. Incredible. I may still have a few Wog pics from 81 when I went across. It was brutal then, believe that. By the time I got out it was so watered down on what you could and couldn't do. It was a damn shame. And ya, mixing up the crews on Man of War was just one tipping point for me. I had had enough after 10. There was no way I could do another 10, and I knew it. At 10 it's really shit or get off the pot, right? So ya, bon voyage'

Yeah... glad I kept all that! :cool:

It's funny... when someone asks me, "How many crew were on your aircraft carrier?" I always answer (intentionally), "We had 5,000 men on board."

The SJWs today, always looking for ANY offense-inducing infraction, will TRY to correct me by saying, "Don't you mean 5,000 men AND women?"

No. I meant what I said. 5,000 men. There were no women on my ship.

"But, there are women on ships now!"

We weren't talking about NOW, were we (you fucking idiot)? You asked about MY ship... when I was on it.

(Silence follows)

It has to.

Bucket List would be taking off and landing on a Carrier . The skill involved must be unreal , then imagine the flight deck filled with kids at that age making everything work perfectly. I call them kids because of their age even though they are young men with a lot of responsibility , but they have a calling to protect the rest of us . God Bless our Military

Bucket List would be taking off and landing on a Carrier . The skill involved must be unreal , then imagine the flight deck filled with kids at that age making everything work perfectly. I call them kids because of their age even though they are young men with a lot of responsibility , but they have a calling to protect the rest of us . God Bless our Military

The cat shot is incredible. The acceleration feels like a sumo wrestler is sitting on your chest. Takes your breath away, literally. 0 - 150 mph in about 2 seconds. The trap is basically the same thing in reverse. I felt like a crash-test dummy. I'll never top that experience.

Yep... even in my stateroom, it was loud... could hear the turbines whine ALL THE TIME. Besides my occupationally-related noise issues, I'm pretty sure my tinnitus is partially related to the noise on the ship.

The "cat shots" would send a shudder throughout the ship. And, even below decks, we could hear the screach of the arresting gear.

Took my dad on a Tiger Cruise (from Pearl Harbor to San Diego). He LOVED it.

I was very fortunate that I got to ride in the back seat of an S-3 Viking... got a cat shot and trap. Also found out that the S-3 Viking is FULLY aerobatic! The pilot's call sign was "Dangerous." LT "Dangerous" Dan Rose. I'll never forget that day. Coolest thing I've ever done or ever will do in my life! That one day (April 13, 1990 - a "Friday the 13th!") was worth my whole three years in the Navy.

Got goosebumps from this post. Yep, up on the 03 level you're right there. There is no hiding from the sounds of Carrier life. That had to be pretty damn cool going for a ride in a Hoover. For those following along, we called the S-3A Viking the Hoover, due to it's Turbo Fans. They'd come in to trap and all you'd hear was Whooop, whoooop, as the Pilot juiced it so he didn't bolter. Funny compared to the jets and the COD. :ROFLMAO:

I got a half dozen or so cat shots and traps, but only in the COD. Got to fly on and off with HS8 a few times either going in on the advanced beach det, or looking for my boat in the IO. :LOL:

Great stuff man !!!

Reactions: candyx
Yeah... glad I kept all that! :cool:

It's funny... when someone asks me, "How many crew were on your aircraft carrier?" I always answer (intentionally), "We had 5,000 men on board."

The SJWs today, always looking for ANY offense-inducing infraction, will TRY to correct me by saying, "Don't you mean 5,000 men AND women?"

No. I meant what I said. 5,000 men. There were no women on my ship.

"But, there are women on ships now!"

We weren't talking about NOW, were we (you fucking idiot)? You asked about MY ship... when I was on it.

(Silence follows)

LMFAO I already know...... :ROFLMAO: (y)

All those crazy bastards up there on deck are called the M&M Gang, due to all the different color Jersey's they wear. Blue for Fuel, White for safety, Yellow for GSE or Ground Support Equipment, Red for Weapons or Aviation Ordnancemen (emphasis on Men) or we just called them BB Stacker's :LOL:, and so on. It's been commonly referred to as a Ballet. Seriously. There is so much going on up there day and night it's hard to imagine. Standing on Vulture's Row at night watching it all is intoxicating. One tiny miscue, one itsy bitsy fuck up, someone with their head in their ass, and people die, quick.

Yepper, it's a shit ton of responsibility for 17 18 yr olds. But it's a rush like you can't believe........

Got goosebumps from this post. Yep, up on the 03 level you're right there. There is no hiding from the sounds of Carrier life. That had to be pretty damn cool going for a ride in a Hoover. For those following along, we called the S-3A Viking the Hoover, due to it's Turbo Fans. They'd come in to trap and all you'd hear was Whooop, whoooop, as the Pilot juiced it so he didn't bolter. Funny compared to the jets and the COD. :ROFLMAO:

I got a half dozen or so cat shots and traps, but only in the COD. Got to fly on and off with HS8 a few times either going in on the advanced beach det, or looking for my boat in the IO. :LOL:

Great stuff man !!!

Yep! The S-3 pilots had the Hoover (vacuum cleaner) logo on their flight suits! I flew with VS-37 (Sawbucks). Just got one flight. But, man it was so cool!

I had to qualify to fly back seat. Fortunately, I had a friend who was friends with the director of Aviation Physiology at Miramar. So, I took two days of leave to take that course. I was the only non-pilot there. I managed to pass and get "qual'ed," though I did not know if I'd ever have the opportunity to fly back seat. But, I knew that without the "qual," I would not ever be allowed to fly back seat in an aircraft equipped with ejection seat.

One day, I took care of a pilot "after hours" in the dental clinic. (I was a dental officer.) He told me that if he could ever do anything for me, he would. I said, "I'd love to ride back seat." He asked, "Do you have back seat quals?" YEP! Got the paperwork! A couple days later, I got the call that they had a seat for me. My department head said, "GO! We'll take care of your patients. This is once in a lifetime." And, off I went!

So, after the flight.... after we parked the plane, the door opened. While I was fiddling with my harness (to unlatch it), a flight deck crew came up to me and said, "We saved this for you," and handed me two chunks of metal. I was a bit "loopy" / disoriented / nauseated after all the aerobatic maneuver. They looked like a miniature metal barbell that had been sheared in the middle. It was the "hold back fitting" that keeps the jet from moving when the engines are at full thrust before the catapult is activated. It's traditionally saved for pilots on their first cat shot. Otherwise, they are garbage and pitched overboard after each cat shot.

At that moment, I had no idea what it was. As I fondled it, the razor-sharp edge of the sheared section sliced open my finger! So, now I'm disoriented, nauseated, and BLEEDING!

I staggered down to the ready room and they bandaged me up (and explained what a special memento I had been given). After that, I took the two pieces to the dental clinic lab and polished off the sharp edges on a lathe. :geek: Then I engraved the date on them.

Hold-back-fitting-(3).jpg

My best day in the Navy!

Hold-back-fitting-(4).jpg

Last edited:
Yep! The S-3 pilots had the Hoover (vacuum cleaner) logo on their flight suits! I flew with VS-37 (Sawbucks). Just got one flight. But, man it was so cool!

I had to qualify to fly back seat. Fortunately, I had a friend who was friends with the director of Aviation Physiology at Miramar. So, I took two days of leave to take that course. I was the only non-pilot there. I managed to pass and get "qual'ed," though I did not know if I'd ever have the opportunity to fly back seat. But, I knew that without the "qual," I would not ever be allowed to fly back seat in an aircraft equipped with ejection seat.

One day, I took care of a pilot "after hours" in the dental clinic. (I was a dental officer.) He told me that if he could ever do anything for me, he would. I said, "I'd love to ride back seat." He asked, "Do you have back seat quals?" YEP! Got the paperwork! A couple days later, I got the call that they had a seat for me. My department head said, "GO! We'll take care of your patients. This is once in a lifetime." And, off I went!

So, after the flight.... after we parked the plane, the door opened. While I was fiddling with my harness (to unlatch it), a flight deck crew came up to me and said, "We saved this for you," and handed me two chunks of metal. I was a bit "loopy" / disoriented / nauseated after all the aerobatic maneuver. They looked like a miniature metal barbell that had been sheared in the middle. It was the "hold back fitting" that keeps the jet from moving when the engines are at full thrust before the catapult is activated. It's traditionally saved for pilots on their first cat shot. Otherwise, they are garbage and pitched overboard after each cat hot.

At that moment, I had no idea what it was. As I fondled it, the razor-sharp edge of the sheared section sliced open my finger! So, now I'm disoriented, nauseated, and BLEEDING!

I staggered down to the ready room and they bandaged me up (and explained what a special memento I had been given). After that, I took the two pieces to the dental clinic lab and polished off the sharp edges on a lathe. :geek:

View attachment 7175386

My best day in the Navy!

View attachment 7175387

Geezus you're a lucky man. I knew what that was as soon as the pic loaded !!! I'd have that shadow boxed. Very very cool Bullshit session. Someone better post up some titties pretty quick though. We're getting "Carrier'd" away. ?

Great story !!! Ya did good Brother !!!

All those crazy bastards up there on deck are called the M&M Gang, due to all the different color Jersey's they wear. Blue for Fuel, White for safety, Yellow for GSE or Ground Support Equipment, Red for Weapons or Aviation Ordnancemen (emphasis on Men) or we just called them BB Stacker's :LOL:, and so on. It's been commonly referred to as a Ballet. Seriously. There is so much going on up there day and night it's hard to imagine. Standing on Vulture's Row at night watching it all is intoxicating. One tiny miscue, one itsy bitsy fuck up, someone with their head in their ass, and people die, quick.

Yepper, it's a shit ton of responsibility for 17 18 yr olds. But it's a rush like you can't believe........

One day, I got to go stand on the LSO's platform during flight ops (recovery). Talk about "close to the action!" I'm trying to find those photos.... But, in the mean time, here are some of my other aviation photos:

F-18 night time cat launch:

F-18-launch-2.jpg

This is one of my favorites... an FOD walkdown at night.

FOD-walkdown.jpg

I made a lot of copies of this one for shipmates. Night skyline of San Diego.
Fly Navy--5.jpg

I loved the A-6. This one is loaded with things that go ka-boom when we were in the Persian Gulf.

Fly Navy-153.jpg

A great shot of the A-6 with a Japanese ship in the background.

Fly Navy-.jpg

I love this photo (though a bit fuzzy) of an EA-6B with vapor over the wings in a hard turn while dropping flares.

Fly Navy--3.jpg

These are all scanned from the original negatives (no digital cameras back then!). Sorry about the watermarks on some of them... not sure where the unmarked copies are.

Last edited:
I grew up in Pensacola, Florida in the sixties and seventies and spent a LOT of time at the Navy Station and many pleasurable hours aboard the USS Lexington (CVC-16), the old "Lady Lex" or the "Blue Ghost" as the Japanese referred to it during WWII, was the Navy's training carrier then. I got to go out on several dependent's day cruises thanks to my my father's connections with the Navy Brass on the base. I got to watch air operations from the Island, traps and launches. On that "little" carrier, the whole ship shook when planes were recovered. Just amazing and instilled in me a lifelong passion for all things US Navy. Even got a job for a few summers working at the N.A.R.F. and had the run of the place as a PAO photographer.

If you are familiar with the USS Lexington, in its older age it was used as a training Carrier, but during its fleet years, it was quite the fighter. When I was on it, you could still visit the bridge area where Marc Mitscher commanded the Fast Carrier Task Force through WWII, really cool. This part of the bridge was not used, but kept in good shape and was a great place to watch Air Ops.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12Bravo and Racer88

Quoting myself.... it occurred to me that this certificate is not likely available today, since even just the artwork is not "PC." Boobies!!

shellback.jpg

A sad state of affairs, really. People don't know how to have fun anymore. People have forgotten how to laugh.... even at ourselves. I feel sorry for the younger generations who are missing out on this nifty little emotion called, "JOY."

This thread delivers. I'll try to add some more sea stories (ie bullshit) from my 2 years on Nimitz when I get home.

Ok, nothing too exciting like cat shots.

The 0-3 level (the deck immediately below the flight deck) houses most of the airwing berthing, workshops, squadron offices and ready rooms, and the fwd wardroom. When the airwing isn't aboard, new JOs get a cabin up there. Let me tell you, it is fucking LOUD in those cabins when they're launching or recovering aircraft. My first berth on Nimitz was up there and I was NOT ready for the first cat shot above me. To make matters worse this dweeb LT(jg) living with me kept one of those ole timey wind up alarm clocks. On the rare times I had off watch when flight ops were secured, all I could hear was the god damned tick-tock of the clock. I tried to ignore it. I swear. But one night I had all I could take and I heaved the motherfucker overboard from a nearby catwalk when junior was on watch wherever.

I had the opportunity to watch flight ops (cat launches mostly) from the flight deck itself. How does a black shoe (non airwing officer) wrangle that? One of my Annapolis company mates was a pilot on the E-2 squadron during our westpac/persian gulf cruise. He called me one day to ask if I could give two chiefs from his squadron a tour of the engineering spaces since they were working on their enlisted surface warfare quals (they were already air warfare qualfied so they went for a second one). So I got both chiefs hooked up through the dosimetry lab (gotta have a radiation exposure record to go down there), gave them the safety brief, then down the hole we went and they got to see everything including a view of the reactor through one of the lead glass inspection ports. We spent down there as long as they wanted and let them spend time with the Chief Reactor Watch and the Main Engine Watch sups (the senior enlisted, usually chiefs, on the propulsion watch team). Those two guys were just jacked when they came out, getting all their engineering shit signed off for their quals. So to return the favor they took me up to watch flight ops with their crew. Crazy is all I can say about that kind of work.

A few "Iraq Pac" photos:

I was on the front row for Stormin' Norman's speech in the Gulf of Oman (before we went up into the Persian Gulf).

View attachment 7175406

Some messages to the Iraqis:

View attachment 7175414

View attachment 7175415

Got to ride a CH-46 off the Indy to the hospital ship USNS Comfort and then to Muscat, Oman (where I am in this photo) and back to the ship.

View attachment 7175416

View attachment 7175422
Can't believe you guys write shit on the bombs, that's so cruel, but fuck them . Where do you get the chalk from do they sell it on the ship ? Raghead is the best !!

• Haha
Reactions: Racer88
How much powder is in each bag?
Enough to send a 2000 lb shell 20 miles out.

Asked my brother who loaded the center gun in turret #3 on the USS Iowa. He was the "cradle operator."

I was the cradle operator of center gun in turret 3 (aft turret). The projectile was hydraulically lifted (vertically), to where I was and then I laid it flat and helped the gun captain with the 660# of powder. While that was happening, the primerman is below inserting the primer. After all of us are through, the "rammerman" shoves the projectile into the breach of the gun and we wait for a loud BANG!

110 lbs for each bag. 6 bags per shot. Fired projectiles as far as 30 miles.

Last edited:
I asked my brother what it was like inside the turret when the 16-inch gun fired - loud? Concussion to the body?

His reply:

It actually wasn't that bad. It was louder outside the turret than inside the gun. We still used hearing protection, except for me if course, because I had a set of sound powered phones in order to speak to the turret captain. And it didn't feel as bad in there as one might think.