• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Range Report OCW results

Bull81

Lost Cause
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Mississippi
Ok OCW experts, I need some help with this one. There is almost a full grain between these 4 loads and very very little change in POI. The high shot on 40.9 was called high and was straight up shooter error.

Attachments

• photo66219.jpg
    photo66219.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 15
Well, there is actually a noticeable difference between the POI of the first group (40.3) and the next three.

Out of curiosity, why did you choose only those four loads and why so close together?

What sort of help are you looking for? I did an OCW recently on my buddy's AR in 223 rem recently and went .5gr increments across 5 loads (2.5gr total change) and didn't see a POI shift on any one of them. All were under 3/4 MOA except one and that was because of a blown primer that screwed the load.

Take those loads since they are all really good (nice shooting) and shoot them over the chrono. You might see a really accurate load but it will shoot inconsistently when chronoed. Pick one up near your max as long as you didn't have any pressure signs and get the velocity on anywhere from 5-10 rounds.

I did OCW for a different weight bullet and they were all over the place between every single load except two. Looks like you hit a node with a barrel that isn't picky at all.

Well, there is actually a noticeable difference between the POI of the first group (40.3) and the next three.

Out of curiosity, why did you choose only those four loads and why so close together?

Well I'm use to seeing a little more movement and than that but you are definitely right on the remaining three. When I ran a pressure test those were the only loads that were in the velocity range I was looking for anything less was to slow. I broke it down into .3 because of the charge range I was working with. What would you say somewhere in the middle around 40.9

What sort of help are you looking for? I did an OCW recently on my buddy's AR in 223 rem recently and went .5gr increments across 5 loads (2.5gr total change) and didn't see a POI shift on any one of them. All were under 3/4 MOA except one and that was because of a blown primer that screwed the load.

Take those loads since they are all really good (nice shooting) and shoot them over the chrono. You might see a really accurate load but it will shoot inconsistently when chronoed. Pick one up near your max as long as you didn't have any pressure signs and get the velocity on anywhere from 5-10 rounds.

I did OCW for a different weight bullet and they were all over the place between every single load except two. Looks like you hit a node with a barrel that isn't picky at all.
Wasn't looking for smallest group but most forgiving load, that rifle shoots about anything you can stuff in it like that. I did shoot those with a chronograph and 40.9 and 41.2 showed only 2/3 ES and 1.3/2 SD's compared to 40.3 and 40.6 which were in the teens but being only 3 rounds each I don't pay it much attention

What's after 41.2? Looks like you start working into a node, open it up and then are starting to close it down and go into a new node. See what happens after 41.2.

But your overall sampling size is very small.

Looks a lot like my OCW with RL17/140g. Not sure what you are shooting but I would be tempted to go with 40.5-40.6 or climb higher and see if you can find another.

What's after 41.2? Looks like you start working into a node, open it up and then are starting to close it down and go into a new node. See what happens after 41.2.

But your overall sampling size is very small.

Yea I believe there is something past 41.2 but didn't feel comfortable pushing it any harder, one of the three rounds had a little bolt stick. Plus that's about all the H4350 I could fit in the 6.5x47 case. I'm also wanting to play around with Varget, it works really good on my 140 RDF loads so I figure I'll give it a shot on the 140 Hybrids as well