• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Odessa FV200

Greg Langelius *

Resident Elder Fart
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2001
AZ
For those who note such things, you will note that this the match due for this W/E has not be scheduled. The previous match had two participants arrive, and we opted to respect the weather and go home without unpacking.

For whatever reasons, our little venture has fallen on hard times of late. Lots of that going around these days, but in our case the consequences can be telling. The small income from these events has been the maker/breaker element in our Club's finances. Unless things pick up again in the Spring, we will be facing a serious quandry.

I know Scotty hasn't mentioned this, and I'm betting he wouldn't, but I do believe somebody has to out and say it, and I'm taking on that role.

So I beseech our regulars, when the weather has its upturn again, please remember us when you map out your shooting plans for 2011.

...And don't forget, nobody has to worry about coming in dead last.

I've got that one covered...

Greg

Re: Odessa FV200

I am sure all the regulars will be back come spring. Most of us regular shooters are also avid hunters and come fall that takes priority. If you have a full time job and a family, it is hard to just take off and go shooting when you only have a couple of days per week to get things done and its dark when you get home from work.

Don't worry! I have been working on brass and reloading in the evenings and I am just about done with 2011 ammo!!

Tonight will be my first full night of coyote hunting this season and I can't wait to try out my new rifle, scope, NVG's and such! If I am succesful I will post some pics.

S'per1;

I out and out envy the opportunities you get to enjoy, and I love hearing about them. Looking forward to eyeball-eyeball dialogue this Spring.

I gotta tell youse folks, I think this was my last deer season. No harvest and frozen bones to show for it. A lot of prep and some expense, too. Next May I'll be 65; right about retirement age, or so I hear...

Time to train up the newer generation and pass on the implements...

Come to think of it, I think I'll see if they're interested in FV200 this coming season. The 14 year-old for sure, and maybe that 11 year-old Grandson is mature enough for this stuff, too. Put those half-scale .22lr targets to good use. Now there's a plan...

Here's a thought. Let's suppose, just suppose, we ran a youth/family .22LR stage in between the C/F stages, to give the C/F barrels time to cool and the shooters some time to reflect. Let our senior shooters coach the juniors. Covers a lot of bases in one swell foop.

What say?

Greg

Greg,

You guys offer a good deal and I'll be over to shoot when home again on vacation. My January trip will be a miss but I plan on being home again in late April / early May and will make it over for some trigger time providing my weekend schedule matches up with yours. The Skunkworks rifle will be done & delivered soon and it buys me time to source optics.

I'll be sure to bug Kasumi so we all can try to make it over at the same time.

Have a good Christmas, New Years and just stay warm & healthy. See you in the spring!

Cheers - Todd

I just started shooting at the beginning of this year, and have been thinking of trying out competitions. I heard about the Odessa shoots from a 'friend-of-a-friend' but didn't know where I could find out any information now that he's left the area.
Is this something I would be able to participate in? Is there a membership requirement needed?

Hi zeeto,

No membership required.

We have had an equal mix of new shooters as those of us that have participated in league 1K matches and other venues. So I`m sure you would fit right in with us. We aim to please
wink.gif

How close are you to Watkins Glen?

Regards,

Scott

Cool, sounds good. I've only shot to 300yds so far, since that's the extent of my local range. Is there someplace to watch for information? or should I just check here?

I'm right over in Johnson City in Broome Co. I <span style="font-style: italic">think</span> I'm about 90 min to Watkins Glen...

zeeto,

Just watch here for match announcements in the Spring.

One of our own (Sled) is near you down in the Triple Cities area. He`s been shooting with us for a couple of years now. Maybe he will chime in and provide some input.

Scott

Merry Christmas as well, to the gang! I am certainly looking forward to next spring.

zeeto, Odessa is a great place to go for local matches. It's not a formal setting. Friendly and low key describe it well. Plenty of help if you want help, and plenty to help if you are on the upper part of the curve.

I'm in Conklin, and it's a shade over 90 minutes for me. I'd be willing to car pool if you wanted.

If you are shooting to 300 around here, you must belong to Square Deal? I belong there as well. Odessa is a 200 yard match. But don't let the distance fool you. Perfect scores are very few and very far between. Are you familiar with the F-class format?

I started IDPA this summer at Square Deal and caught the last one at Tioga. Any chance I've run into you at one of those?

I don't shoot as much in the winter, as my wife and I snowmobile. But shoot me a PM and if there is a weekend we are not riding maybe we can get together at Square Deal before the Odessa matches start back up in spring. My scores show that I need the practice!

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">zeeto, Odessa is a great place to go for local matches. It's not a formal setting. Friendly and low key describe it well. Plenty of help if you want help, and plenty to help if you are on the upper part of the curve.</div></div>That sounds exactly like what I was looking for then and I could definitely use any help that available.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are shooting to 300 around here, you must belong to Square Deal? I belong there as well. Odessa is a 200 yard match. But don't let the distance fool you. Perfect scores are very few and very far between. Are you familiar with the F-class format?</div></div>Yup,I belong to square deal. I joined last spring. I just started looking into the F-class format, but I don't know the specifics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I started IDPA this summer at Square Deal and caught the last one at Tioga. Any chance I've run into you at one of those?</div></div>No, I haven't gone to any of them. I haven't actually gone through the pistol permit process yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't shoot as much in the winter, as my wife and I snowmobile. But shoot me a PM and if there is a weekend we are not riding maybe we can get together at Square Deal before the Odessa matches start back up in spring. My scores show that I need the practice!</div></div>Cool, the one guy I worked with who shot moved out of the area so I've just been shooting on my own lately.

To answer your initial questions....

Membership is not required, merely that a club member be present when you're in attendance. That will always be so at these matches. There are no individual club memberships, just family ones, at $60/yr. There is no membership approval, you pay, you're in. Meetings are at 9AM, first Saturday of each month.

The FV200 matches are shot on a 5/V target at 200yd, two 1/2 hour stages of ten rounds per target, two targets per stage, for a total of 4 targets and 40 rounds for score. Perfect score (good luck with that...), is 200/40V. It's been done, the 200 part, but just barely, and getting those 40V's is still unattained. Unlimited sighters. There is a break between relays to permit barrel cooling. We shoot according to F Class practices as much as is applicable, including Open and T/R classes. No prizes, no awards, period (usually).

Matches are held first Saturday, after the meeting, registration begins at 10AM, $10 donation. Then two weeks later on Sunday, another match beginning same time as the Saturday matches.

If I ever get off the dime, there will probably also be a rimfire version of the match, for any and all, especially to include family and youth. Odds favor a half-sized target at 80yd, so just for giggles, maybe it would be good to bring along family, a 22 and several boxes of ammo. If(when) I do it, I'm thinking a $5 donation would be about right. If this is what folks want, it'd be good to hear about it in the here and now.

If this stuff grows legs, our participants and our club will be the true beneficiaries, and maybe we can come up with some more fun events.

Greg

zeeto,

I'm glad Greg answered with the F-class details. He knows the detail better than I do.

Well, it looks like our first snowmobile weekend is fading for lack of snow. Which would have otherwise resulted in some range time this weekend. But, everything I touched this last week did not go well. (Who else can break a torque wrench and have two brake lights on their truck go bad within minutes of each other?) That leaves me trying to get done my list of things that were supposed to be done by yesterday.

But, if we are still lacking snow the following weekend, I'll see if you are available for some range time. I'm sure the temperature will have some affect on the amount of shooting to be done.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To answer your initial questions....

Membership is not required, merely that a club member be present when you're in attendance. That will always be so at these matches. There are no individual club memberships, just family ones, at $60/yr. There is no membership approval, you pay, you're in. Meetings are at 9AM, first Saturday of each month.

The FV200 matches are shot on a 5/V target at 200yd, two 1/2 hour stages of ten rounds per target, two targets per stage, for a total of 4 targets and 40 rounds for score. Perfect score (good luck with that...), is 200/40V. It's been done, the 200 part, but just barely, and getting those 40V's is still unattained. Unlimited sighters. There is a break between relays to permit barrel cooling. We shoot according to F Class practices as much as is applicable, including Open and T/R classes. No prizes, no awards, period (usually).

Matches are held first Saturday, after the meeting, registration begins at 10AM, $10 donation. Then two weeks later on Sunday, another match beginning same time as the Saturday matches.

If I ever get off the dime, there will probably also be a rimfire version of the match, for any and all, especially to include family and youth. Odds favor a half-sized target at 80yd, so just for giggles, maybe it would be good to bring along family, a 22 and several boxes of ammo. If(when) I do it, I'm thinking a $5 donation would be about right. If this is what folks want, it'd be good to hear about it in the here and now.

If this stuff grows legs, our participants and our club will be the true beneficiaries, and maybe we can come up with some more fun events.

Greg </div></div>Thanks for the info Greg. Pretty sure I'll end up at the bottom of the scores
laugh.gif

I mentioned the possible rimfire match to my wife and she said she might be interested in doing that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">zeeto,

I'm glad Greg answered with the F-class details. He knows the detail better than I do.

Well, it looks like our first snowmobile weekend is fading for lack of snow. Which would have otherwise resulted in some range time this weekend. But, everything I touched this last week did not go well. (Who else can break a torque wrench and have two brake lights on their truck go bad within minutes of each other?) That leaves me trying to get done my list of things that were supposed to be done by yesterday.

But, if we are still lacking snow the following weekend, I'll see if you are available for some range time. I'm sure the temperature will have some affect on the amount of shooting to be done.

Steve </div></div>
Steve,

Just let me know if you plan to go. I'm going to try to get up there at least once every weekend, until it stays light past 6 or so during the week.

I know next weekend I won't be able to go on Sat since I'm going to check out that gun show quick in Port Crane before some friends come to visit. I'm going to try and head to the range Sunday though, unless the weather sucks.

Chris