• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Ok all, best budget laser range finder?

Grog11

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2018
Anthem, Arizona
I’ve got about $400 MAX burning a hole in my pocket and NO rangefinder! I’m going to be using his guy for precision matches so I’ll need it to go out to 1,300 yards at least. I was looking at the Vortex Rangers, but, it sounds like not a lot of people like those...... what’s the best I can expect, here? And I’m not above buying used, but I’d prefer new.

What about the Sig 1250? I rarely need to range farther than that, and it comes in a tad cheaper.

I doubt you're going to get hits much further than 600 yards on anything but reflective targets, so trees, grass, berms, etc are out. The 2200 will hit out to about 1200 on almost anything from a steady position. 2500 yards or so on reflective targets from a steady position.

I doubt you're going to get hits much further than 600 yards on anything but reflective targets, so trees, grass, berms, etc are out. The 2200 will hit out to about 1200 on almost anything from a steady position. 2500 yards or so on reflective targets from a steady position.

Gotcha, ok thanks for the insight! I notice the 1250 does not have illuminated reticle either.

I scored a Mk5 LRR-104 for $400 on Ebay. Good to 10km. It's almost a unicorn, they can go easily for ten times that. If patient and you keep your eyes peeled, you may find some spectacular deals. But you have to be vigilant too, I bought mine literally a couple hours after he posted a 30 day sale. I had wanted a Vectronix but couldn't afford it, then got divorced and figured it'd never happen but lucked out on this one.

Vectronix is coming out with the Terrapin X and it's supposed to cost a lot less than their other stuff because it's made by Leica, but I don't know how much they'll be going for. Certainly more than $400 but it may be worth saving up for it.

I can tell you from a lot of personal experience in all kinds of weather from sub-zero snow blow in KS to 100+ deg. hog hunting in TX/OK Nikon's 7iVR will get the job done. I have seen it advertised for under $350 in the past month. The 7iVR has image stabilization which really is a great feature. I have used my 7iVR just a few weeks ago to range a coyote across a canyon at more than 500 yards and made a one shot stop of the fawn eater! I have ranged deer in KS at more than 700 yards across a cut corn field too. The new Nikon Rangefined's have a great feature's as well and the new MONARCH 3000 Stabilized will do all the 7iVR will do faster and at longer distances. I just haven't used one in the field so I can't pass on hands-on experience.

Here's a pic of what I use in Kansas to hunt big corn fed whitetail.

Screen%20Shot%202017-12-04%20at%208.52.00%20AM.png

I should expand on my recommendation: I shot ASC this past weekend and was able to range out to 1300 yards repeatably, easy hits on rocks at a mile, and managed some really long shots off of a tin roof at 3000+

Never needed to steady off a tripod, or found myself needing image stabilization, point and shoot was a no brainer under 1000. This includes angle compensation constantly as well as a lot of targets tucked into trees where the 'distant' target feature was priceless and worked every time. This is my first and only rangefinder and I did not need one to interface with kestrel since I bought in late on the 4500 AB and don't feel like upgrading.

And I can testify that it is indeed waterproof, or at very least had no hiccups after spending an entire day in the rain. It might not have the punch of a multi thousand dollar heavyweight laser, and would give me a 12-30 yard range in heavy mist and rain, however I think that is almost universal and condition specific. In normal, sunny conditions I do not feel handicapped and am extremely satisfied with the performance. They weigh almost nothing, which was a nice surprise and a benefit I wasn't even expecting.

I wanted accuracy, simplicity, and power. I feel like this does everything I ask of it.

*this is about the Nikon black 4000

I had sat on the sidelines for years because I never really NEEDED a rangefinder, the rule of thumb that you get half of the listed possible range seemed like the best guidance in expectations. Beam divergence is what you pay extra for, but it doesn't take long to realize that if you can range something close to the target, or even the ground around a target, you're going to get a good enough idea of the range to hit. I'm not shooting at silhouettes above a horizon, so as long as this keeps working I wont be shopping for another rangefinder.

Reactions: bman940