• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Opinions on scopes welcome

phillip61

Sergeant
Banned !
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2012
texas
I'll be looking to buy a new scope around June or July. I've about got it narrowed down to three. IOR 6-24X50, Night Force ATACR, March 2.5-25X52. All three dealers has offered a really good discount. The IOR will be about $400 less the the ATACR, the ATACR about $700 less than the March. The mag range is the same (the IOR 1X less), they're all SFP, I don't think glass would be an issue with any of them, I guess it would come down to turrets and repeatability and durability. I'm open to anything anyone could add.

what type of shooting?

Recreational mainly. Mostly paper and steel, with the occasional Clorox bleach jug filled with tannerite. There is a 100yd open range about 15 minutes from my house. My friend and I have built a 100, 200, 438, and 600yd range shooting across his lake at various points.There is a 600&1000 yd contest every month about 2 hours away I've been wanting to enter but haven't yet, but that could be in my future.

The rifle I'm having built is a 6.5 Creedmoor.

You have stated this previously when discussing scopes…
The IOR is the best scope on the planet, bar none. I have a 3.5-18X50 and would not trade it for any scope. You will love it. Tracks perfectly, bulit like a tank, Easy to use zero stop, the floating dot reticle is the best design ever, and the glass is second to none.

If you've had success with IOR, why go someplace else? In all seriousness if it ain't broke don't fix it…

You have stated this previously when discussing scopes…

If you've had success with IOR, why go someplace else? In all seriousness if it ain't broke don't fix it…

I do have a 3.5-18X50 and like it. But I'm looking for a 24-25X on my next scope and I'm open to the idea of other brands. The two others I'm looking at are the ATACR and the March. I don't want the March simply because it cost more, with the idea being it cost more it has to be better. I want to base my decision on reviews from people on this site that have used them.

If all your distances are known, the ATACR would be a great choice. Great glass that gives a bright picture. Perefct solid turrets. Its a nice weight to go without hauling 3 pounds of optic around.

Trevor B.

I really like the MOAR floating cross hair reticle also. Very similar to the MP-8 that I'm use to.

If you don't need to drive nails with the thing and are looking at mostly known range target shooting there is no reason to spend that kind of $ unless you just want to....and there is NOTHING wrong with that....I would look at the Sightron S-III line of scopes and really dig into the reviews. I have one ( obviously ) It is the S-III in 8-32x56 with the LRMOA reticle .....The LRMOA is a KILLER reticle....on a 300RUM. All sorts of shooting with all sorts of turret spinning and everything else a 300RUM deals out and the scope has never missed a beat... Good Bang For The Buck....The $ I had left over went to more 230 HyBreds and Retumbo. Best of luck with your quest. The scope hunt is always a fun one.

If second focal plane is what you're after, you'll do no better than the ATACR for the money, IMO. Probably the best overall SFP out there, all things considered (durability, tracking, glass, resale value, etc). I've yet to hear of anyone regretting that purchase. :cool:

I'm also in the market for another scope. I have a NightForce NXS 3.5-15x50 F1, Zerostop on my .308 LWRC Reaper and have been very pleased with the scope. Truly believe in FFP... But now I'd like to get another one so that I don't have to ever take my scope off one rifle to put it on another one and then have to sight it all back in. My next one I'm wanting more magnification. I'm looking at the NightForce Beast or a Schmidt and Bender Police Marksman II 5-25x56mm. Yes a little pricey, but I don't want to have to purchase another one. Just hope I can locate one to see it in person as I have to check it out before putting the money down on it. So many scopes, so many to choose from...ugh! I'd like to get some insight on those two or have someone point me to one that I should also consider.