• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support
Love all the folks on their high horse who didn't read the OP that think it's an HD-only niche gun.

Title says HD and "Range".

OP notes:
"I want to have a useful home defense optic but be able to hit the range to run and gun and potentially run NV down the road....
it’s a buy once cry once deal."
Yep and why, I recommended an Eotech EXPS.

Reactions: dms416
Love all the folks on their high horse who didn't read the OP that think it's an HD-only niche gun.

Title says HD and "Range".

OP notes:
"I want to have a useful home defense optic but be able to hit the range to run and gun and potentially run NV down the road....
it’s a buy once cry once deal."
2 very different weapons dude , i stretch the use of my CC to home defense ....none of them are for range or plinking

The problem with most people is they have this ridiculous fixation with the "best" rifle/optic/whatever for X task and pay no mind to skill.

A skilled shooter with a less than ideal weapon will fucking smash a poorly trained one with the "best" weapon.

2 very different weapons dude , i stretch the use of my CC to home defense ....none of them are for range or plinking
no-one-cares.gif

So after many years, I finally paired my radian adac lower with a geissele 14.5 upper. Now I’m researching optics and mounts, mainly red dot/holos as I’m not too into lvpo or acogs. I want to have a useful home defense optic but be able to hit the range to run and gun and potentially run NV down the road. So I’m to the point it’s a buy once cry once deal. I’ve looked into the trijicon mro hd, holosun 503/515/530 and aems, multiple aimpoints, eotech and a few sig optics. As for mounts it seems like most run the scalarworks or unity mounts. Can anyone make other recommendations on some I’ve missed, add some photos of their similar setups or give me so opinions to narrow down my lists.

The problem with most people is they have this ridiculous fixation with the "best" rifle/optic/whatever for X task and pay no mind to skill.

A skilled shooter with a less than ideal weapon will fucking smash a poorly trained one with the "best" weapon.
I quoted 308pirate second but I am going to respond to his thoughts first. I totally agree, nothing beats practice with a particular system. Most people would be surprised at how well they can hit targets with a dot out to 300 yards with great reliability.

Now to the OPs post, my favorite current rifle is actually very similar to yours. It is the Geissele URG-I 14.5" with an LMT ambi lower. It is not my primary self defense rifle but it easily could be. I actually use it to shoot feral pigs, some predators, so a lot of shooting at night with a thermal. I have had two optic setups that work really well. The first is the rifle with the led ACOG (TA51 BDC crosshair reticle) with a RCR top mounted. The second configuration is a Nightforce ATACR 1-8 also top mounted with a Trijicon RCR. I use an IRAY mini rico thermal mounted in front of the day optic for night hunting. If you practice with either setup, it should work just fine for up close in personal as the RCR will be your primary aiming optic. When you get past 100 yards, looking through the ACOG or scope makes it pretty easy.

Why? What is so magical and unique about a home defense rifle?
I’d say the “unique characteristics” are of the same vein as the differences between a CC pistol and a USPSA carry optics legal pistol. Or between a hunting rifle and a prs rifle. Can I shoot an Sig 365 with an rmsc pattern optic in carry optics? Yes. Am I going to? No. Can I take my heavy prs rifle on an elk hunt? Yes. Do I have other rifles better set up for mountain hunting? Yes.

My neighbors in this suburban neighborhood are significantly less than 100 yards away. And, I'm having a hard time justifying the need to shoot even that far in a HD scenario. I mean, I'm not defending their house. Right? Maybe if someone is standing in the street (our house is at the end of a cul de sac) and lobbing rounds into my front door, but that's a pretty low probability.

Hey, if your HD scenarios require covering a 300 yard perimeter, set your gun up for that. My HD scenario is more like someone is trying to kick in the front door. For that, I think a red dot is optimal.

But, I don't enjoy shooting red dot equipped rifles. My range rifles have magnified optics, anything from 1-6x to 5-25x. Unless it is a specific trip to train with the HD gun, it is not what I am reaching for one I head to the range.

The above notwithstanding, I am contemplating a 1-8x lpvo with a top mounted reflex sight that might fit the bill for a HD/range gun.

I’d say the “unique characteristics” are of the same vein as the differences between a CC pistol and a USPSA carry optics legal pistol. Or between a hunting rifle and a prs rifle. Can I shoot an Sig 365 with an rmsc pattern optic in carry optics? Yes. Am I going to? No. Can I take my heavy prs rifle on an elk hunt? Yes. Do I have other rifles better set up for mountain hunting? Yes.

My neighbors in this suburban neighborhood are significantly less than 100 yards away. And, I'm having a hard time justifying the need to shoot even that far in a HD scenario. I mean, I'm not defending their house. Right? Maybe if someone is standing in the street (our house is at the end of a cul de sac) and lobbing rounds into my front door, but that's a pretty low probability.

Hey, if your HD scenarios require covering a 300 yard perimeter, set your gun up for that. My HD scenario is more like someone is trying to kick in the front door. For that, I think a red dot is optimal.

But, I don't enjoy shooting red dot equipped rifles. My range rifles have magnified optics, anything from 1-6x to 5-25x. Unless it is a specific trip to train with the HD gun, it is not what I am reaching for one I head to the range.

The above notwithstanding, I am contemplating a 1-8x lpvo with a top mounted reflex sight that might fit the bill for a HD/range gun.
Have you ever timed up drills with pairs at 10, 15, and 20 yards with a rifle with a red dot and same rifle with an lpvo set st 1x? Because I have and found no difference in speed and accuracy.

Have you ever mock cleared rooms and hallways in your house with one rifle and the two different sight systems? I have and found none easier than the other.

Because of that I use an lpvo for everything i need a carbine for.

I didn't read about it. I didn't listen to social media. I saw for myself.

I ask again, what mission requirements say that an rdo is necessary or better for in home defense?

Last edited:

Sometimes I wonder about your mental health buddy. You don't seem to be a very happy person and hurt people, hurt people. 😝

(And, FWIW, I also have a P4Xi 1-4 and have had one since they came out ~10 years ago, and it appears you're the dumb one as they don't really hold a candle to the speed and ease of use of a good red dot and you should know that.)

Namaste.

Aimpoint! if you are running it for home defense. IMO you want to leave the optic on so if you have to use it you don't have to worry about it. I have one on my home defense rifle and my truck gun.. leave the optic on and change the battery once a year. and I have a 3x on a qd mount I can put behind them if and when I want .