Suppressors Overbarrel suppressor

Re: Overbarrel suppressor

I know from experience that on a direct thread moderator after it's been fired quite a few times the moderator can become loose and this will affect the accuracy of the rifle - in my case quite substantially.

Not sure if it's as much of an issue if indeed an issue at all on an over barrel supressor

The method of attachments is mostly independent of whether a suppressor comes back over the barrel ("reflex") or not.

There are direct thread on suppressors that reflex back. Some of those shoulder like a normal direct thread attach, while some of them put tension over distance from the threads to a shoulder back on the barrel (like the OPS model on the SPR). The downside to the tension system is that differing thermal expansion rates can cause a POI shift because last few inches of the barrel effectively is under changing stress.

In general, suppressor material/structures that are forward of the muzzle are more efficient at suppression than the same behind the muzzle. This is because to utilize the volume rear of the muzzle the gas has to be routed back there and it doesn't want to go that direction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The method of attachments is mostly independent of whether a suppressor comes back over the barrel ("reflex") or not.

There are direct thread on suppressors that reflex back. Some of those shoulder like a normal direct thread attach, while some of them put tension over distance from the threads to a shoulder back on the barrel (like the OPS model on the SPR). The downside to the tension system is that differing thermal expansion rates can cause a POI shift because last few inches of the barrel effectively is under changing stress.

In general, suppressor material/structures that are forward of the muzzle are more efficient at suppression than the same behind the muzzle. This is because to utilize the volume rear of the muzzle the gas has to be routed back there and it doesn't want to go that direction. </div></div>

Would be nice to compare the two. I think Accurate Ordnance has a rifle that will accept a thread mount suppressor and one that goes over the barrel. I'd be willing to send some 168gr BHM to them if they have both suppressors. Maybe there is another thread mount they could add to the test as well.
RonA

I've been a long-time Ops Inc fan. They have a unique tone compared to everything else on the market. However, on a precision rifle I don't particularly like the muzzle brake used with the 12th Model. I've found that when using the suppressor or just the naked muzzle accuracy is fine. However, with just the brake and no suppressor over it, I've seen the groups open a bit.

For my .308 rifle I wanted a suppressor similar to the Ops 12th but wanted just a standard 5/8x24 thread on the muzzle as the suppressor interface. I contacted Ron Allen at Allen Engineering (he is a suppressor designer and the contractor who has always made all Ops products) and he made me what is now called the AE30 suppressor.

DSC_8642Large.jpg

And I couldn't be happier.

I've shot many popular .30-caliber suppressors on this rifle and have yet to find anything I like better. When I compare this to direct thread-mount suppressors, I find the Allen Engineering product performs the best. This includes using the suppressor on 300 WM hosts.

The AE and Ops products never loosen during use. This includes shooting them on machine guns.

You won't read or hear much about these suppressors though. Allen Engineering & Ops Inc have always focused more heavily on military contracts and, therefore, have advertised little (if any) on the "Form 4" market. That is too bad since they rank among the best suppressors available.

Mark

While I thank you for the kind words Mark, I have only been making the Ops Inc parts for the last 10-12 years or so. Phil Seberger designed all current Ops Inc products and was a truely remarkable man.
RonA

My Ops Inc 3rd Model 30cal that I bought from Ron is just damn awesome! I researched for 2 years before laying down my $$. BookHound is spot on about the tone of the muzzle report.