• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact @alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

Oversized Chamber

Thepopo

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2024
Toronto
New here, thanks for all the advice and knowledge given. I started reloading recently on a Ruger precision rifle 6.5cm. Ran into a few issues as I went. Brass had a hell of a time being run thru a Hornady FL dies. Ended using wax inserted of spray and made it easier to cycle but still a lot of force needed to cycle. I asked a friend of mine to check over my reloading and he brought to my attention the size of my spent cases. Apparently he said I should be looking at just a few thousands of case expansion as the brass fills the chamber. Mine is expanding 60/thousands. No wonder I have such a hard time resizing. I never ran hot loads and only reloaded 3 times. 143 ELDX with 41.3 Staball 6.5. Prior to that was all factory ammo. What do I do from here on? I bought the rifle 3 years ago and it only has around 300 rounds thru it. Any advice is appreciated. Will Ruger do anything about this or am I on my own?

New here, thanks for all the advice and knowledge given. I started reloading recently on a Ruger precision rifle 6.5cm. Ran into a few issues as I went. Brass had a hell of a time being run thru a Hornady FL dies. Ended using wax inserted of spray and made it easier to cycle but still a lot of force needed to cycle. I asked a friend of mine to check over my reloading and he brought to my attention the size of my spent cases. Apparently he said I should be looking at just a few thousands of case expansion as the brass fills the chamber. Mine is expanding 60/thousands. No wonder I have such a hard time resizing. I never ran hot loads and only reloaded 3 times. 143 ELDX with 41.3 Staball 6.5. Prior to that was all factory ammo. What do I do from here on? I bought the rifle 3 years ago and it only has around 300 rounds thru it. Any advice is appreciated. Will Ruger do anything about this or am I on my own?
You should contact ruger and see if they will indeed do anything about it. "IF" the chamber is "oversized" (outside of SAAMI specs), then they should, purely out of potential liability concerns.

If they are not willing to do anything about it (at no cost to you), I wouldn't send it back to Ruger. I would find a competent Gunsmith to either "set back" the existing barrel/chamber, or chamber a brand new barrel blank.

Another incompetent tale of disaster.

Sound like firing a 6.5 CM in a 6.5 PRC chamber .060" is the basic difference.
If the measurement is correct,... which I doubt.
In a oversized 6.5 CM chamber the brass will not expand .060" at the solid case head.
The brass case will be surrounded by steel chamber, the steel will burst if it expands .060".
Forget primer pockets...
If the brass solid head expands just .002" with high pressure, it's close to bursting pressure.
So go find a competent friend or gunsmith at this point, who can properly measure everything that needs checked.

Or fix yourself...
So get a "go" and "no go" 6.5 CM chamber gauges, barrel vise, and action wrench specifically made for the task.

If the no go goes into the chamber easily with no resistance.

Take your RPR and reset the headspace with the go gauge. Easy to do with the proper tools...instructions are most likely on line.

I ran into the opposite on my last range trip. Guy was shooting a new RPR in 6.5cm. He was having a hard time getting small groups. He had hunting rounds, so I suggested ELDMs. He said he got a few but they were too long for the mag. My suspicions were confirmed when I looked at the stamp on the base... 6.5 PRC rounds. At least he never would have gotten them to chamber

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: XLR308 and Thepopo

In a oversized 6.5 CM chamber the brass will not expand .060" at the solid case head.
The brass case will be surrounded by steel chamber, the steel will burst if it expands .060".
Forget primer pockets...
If the brass solid head expands just .002" with high pressure, it's close to bursting pressure.
So go find a competent friend or gunsmith at this point, who can properly measure everything that needs checked.

Or fix yourself...
So get a "go" and "no go" 6.5 CM chamber gauges, barrel vise, and action wrench specifically made for the task.

Take your RPR and reset the headspace with the go gauge. Easy to do with the proper tools...instructions are most likely on line.
You're right, 60 thousandths is right at the difference between the 6.5 PRC and 6.5 CM as measured at the shoulder-body junction.

With that much expansion, I'm surprised the cases didn't just blowup, and doesn't sound like they're even reusable.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Thepopo and 45-90
You're right, 60 thousandths is right at the difference between the 6.5 PRC and 6.5 CM as measured at the shoulder-body junction.

With that much expansion, I'm surprised the cases didn't just blowup, and doesn't sound like they're even reusable.

+1

Pics or it didn't happen. ;)

Or it's a used rifle someone messed with. Maybe he took it apart to clean and thought pulling the barrel out was a good idea and didn't use a headspace gauge to reassemble????

Never know what someone might do if they don't know what they should and should not do..

Reactions: Thepopo
You should contact ruger and see if they will indeed do anything about it. "IF" the chamber is "oversized" (outside of SAAMI specs), then they should, purely out of potential liability concerns.

If they are not willing to do anything about it (at no cost to you), I wouldn't send it back to Ruger. I would find a competent Gunsmith to either "set back" the existing barrel/chamber, or chamber a brand new barrel blank.
I am in the process of contacting them and se what they can do for me. Thank you.

Forget primer pockets...

Or fix yourself...

I am getting the gagues to measure the headspace and internal dimensions. Some adjustments to headpsace I beleive will be required.

They are usable and according to the guys at the range that reload much longer than I say the cases are not showing pressure wave or damage.

Measured the cases with a caliper gauge. It's width expansion not length. Yeah thats the part that got me worried. I'm thinking of chucking the brass amd getting some Lapua brass. The brass is on its 3rd firing.
If you are actually seeing .060" of expansion in the case do not shoot it until the issue is rectified.
I am really having a hard time believing what you are saying is happening.
Post a couple of pictures of the barrel clambering stamp, brass in question and caliper measurement on brass above the case head.

I should clarify the areas of the brass I am measuring. I am measuring the width below the shoulder as well as lower down middle of the case body. I think i confused a few as to where my case expasiin is happening. Its width expansion not length. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

I should clarify the areas of the brass I am measuring. I am measuring the width below the shoulder as well as lower down middle of the case body. I think i confused a few as to where my case expasiin is happening. Its width expansion not length. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Where you are measuring. If you are ~.054 - .062" larger than what the 6.5 Creedmoor SAAMI specs are (or your resized brass)...You are getting 100% 6.5 PRC case diameter (width) measurements there.

Still waiting on those pics.

Reactions: Thepopo and XLR308
Where you are measuring. If you are ~.054 - .062" larger than what the 6.5 Creedmoor SAAMI specs are (or your resized brass)...You are getting 100% 6.5 PRC case diameter (width) measurements there.

Still waiting on those pics.
Checked the barrel. Yall got me really paranoid there for a bit. Its a 6.5 CM

Attachments

• 20240702_115153.jpg
    20240702_115153.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: XLR308
Checked the barrel. Yall got me really paranoid there for a bit. Its a 6.5 CM
Please also show a picture with your calipers on fired brass were you are saying you have .060" of expansion.
Not trying to be an ass but I think there is something in this that isn't being accurately translated due to knowledge/experience level.
Main thing here is your safety first and formost.

Please also show a picture with your calipers on fired brass were you are saying you have .060" of expansion.
Not trying to be an ass but I think there is something in this that isn't being accurately translated due to knowledge/experience level.
Main thing here is your safety first and formost.
Hmmmm??? I have a feeling he's measuring in millimeters rather than inches. . . ???

.060 millimeters = .0024", which in inches would be about right and change the whole conversation.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnnyvw and Eric_F
Hmmmm??? I have a feeling he's measuring in millimeters rather than inches. . . ???

.060 millimeters = .0024", which in inches would be about right and change the whole conversation.

I wouldn't doubt that you could be correct here. I don't know if you could actually get a 6.5 PRC case down a Creedmoor die (regardless of length) unless one was of both simian intellect and strength.

I have however had decades of having Marines work for me...so I know that just about anything is possible. Some people are capable of breaking an anvil in a toilet paper factory.

Did we not doubt his measurements?
Inches or mm?
Press the little button on the caliper or micrometer to change inch/mm.
The .0023" or .060 mm plus expansion at the case head, would not likely hold a primer for the next firing.
The FL die will not size that area down, as the shell holder takes some of that area of the case head.
The case head is solid brass for about .2" on most cases, and expansion takes place ahead of that. Leaving a slight bulge to be resized. But under enough pressure to expand the solid portion you have a problem, with pressure, leaving loose primer pockets to blown primers.
Chamber gauges measures length...not diameter. That will be incorporated in the chamber reamer specifications.
Which if running true, clean, sharp, properly ground, and well lubed will never cut .0023" oversize....

One could have a small base die and a slightly larger diameter chamber to make sizing more difficult, and chamber still be in print.

it could even be reamed an improved chamber with standard dies ...that will not work.
A chamber cast would be in order.

... but who knows without exacting information, garbage in garbage out.

A competent person or gunsmith would be recommended.