• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site Updates Coming Soon - We're Updating The Homepage!

We've got some exciting changes coming, check the thread below for more info!

VIEW THREAD

Pet Peeves at the Gym

What I do with weights anymore, I do at home with dumbells. HOWEVER....I swim as it's "no-impact" vs. "lo-impact". My pet peeve is that same as most yours.

1. Don't do GROSS shit in the pool. I don't want to swim through your lugie so don't hack it out in the pool
2. Standing there chit-chatting when I need a lane
3. Floaty people on the floaty side of the pool. We have lap lanes for lap swimmers. Lap lanes arent your personal space where you can bob around on a noodle.
4. Slow people in the fast lanes when sharing. And, not stopping to let fast people pass if you do swim different speeds.

When there is no one else in the pool and someone asks to share a lane. Wtf

Reactions: sandwarrior
My biggest peeves are curlers in the squat racks and the quarter repping bitches who think they're strong as hell. It's just silly. At my local gym at 5:00am most people are pretty cool and there to work out. But there are those few......haha

I've been into powerlifting for the past 3 years and I love it! IF you ever get a chance to go to a local meet, go. You'll meet some really strong guys that are also really cool and inviting.

Reactions: diverdon
Ha! My thoughts exactly. I have kids and a full time job and a side business. My time is finite, I am there to work and go home, so it gets frustrating when you have people hogging machines and benches etc and taking 15 min between sets.

Reactions: diverdon
My biggest peeves are curlers in the squat racks and the quarter repping bitches who think they're strong as hell. It's just silly. At my local gym at 5:00am most people are pretty cool and there to work out. But there are those few......haha

I've been into powerlifting for the past 3 years and I love it! IF you ever get a chance to go to a local meet, go. You'll meet some really strong guys that are also really cool and inviting.
1/4 reps lol.

Mine used to be people curling in the squat rack. However, I lost all faith in humanity when I saw two kids curling on the deadlift platform.

people are my main pet peeve in the gym!!

Over the past 5 years I spent around $20grand turning half of my shop into a highly equipped powerlifting gym...and my workout partner is typically my dogo argentine named "Mattis"

bench

Reactions: PBWalsh and Wlfdg
The guy (or girl) that does a set, then stops to look in the mirror at the new definition they just built, take a selfie of it and post on social media!?
I have literally had to talk myself out of rear naked choking people out!

More often than not there are idiots that can't take the time to re-rack. Then I go to an empty station where I assume someone didn't re-rack their weights. I change the weights and start using it, then someone comes up to me and says he wasn't finished with the station. Am I the only one who feels the need to finish my sets before I abandon the station?

Reactions: FatBoy
If anyone racks, they put in an entirely random order. Entirely. And several trainers hate it as much as I do, fix it daily, and it's still a disaster.

I circuit. So HATE those that take up one machine for half an hour. Resting ON the machine between sets. For 10 minutes. BTW, that's allowed. The gym has a time limit for ALL stations that is clearly set for cardio stuff, so is like 20-30 minutes before you are even allowed to ask. Ugh.

I think the biggest problem with the gym overall is the staff. They NEVER enforce any rules, or sense of proper behavior. At best, they are shitty housekeeping (never notice loose/broken stuff, so I have to report it). The other day I was looking out a window to the adjacent indoor pool and thought: we need Gym Guards. Like lifeguards, who also generally keep things in order when not up on their tower, we need gym guards to tell everyone to put their shit away, work on their phone or generally rest OFF the machine, go have a half hour conversation NOT in the middle of the weight room, don't drop the damned weights every time, don't take a spare bench with your duffel, etc. etc. Easy.

So, no one will do it.

Whether in the gym or on the road, when I am annoyed at inconsiderate people, I thank God that I don't have real problems, like cancer, blindness, paralysis, starvation, a cheating wife, or wayward children.

Reactions: bigsky23 and FatBoy
I agree with what everyone else has said and just chalk it all up in one phrase ”millennials”. We don’t even say it at the gym anymore. Everyone just looks at each other and we already know. All we can do is shake our heads and move on.

Some of my least favorite people at the gym were born from '58-62. I know because when not doing their other BS tasks, they also stand in the middle of the workout area talking loudly about shit for half hour blocks.

It's not the kids.

Each to their own, but id rather them stand around and talk loud then stay on the same piece of equipment for 20 mins or not restack the dumbells, Or come from the other side of the gym saying they were doing super sets with what im trying to now use. Dont see too many 58-62 eras pulling that out at least at my local gym, but its a college town so we got way more kids.

Mine is people that don't wipe their own sweat after using a bench! So annoying..

Reactions: FatBoy
Walking around with a starbucks coffee while exerting minimal effort.

People who are claming like 5 benches/machines/stations at once and make a point to run half way across the gym to make a point that they are "using it" despite being nowhere near it.

People who dont strip the bar or put plates/dumb bells back.

People who dont wipe their bench.

People who smell like shit or dirty vagina to the point of my nose noticing them up before my eyes do.

#1 Pet Peeve: Gyms that use rubber/bumper plates instead of real iron weights. (see profile photo)
#2 Guys who just "have to" get on something you're using. Cool. Lets work in together. If you don't mind stripping off 4 45's on each side to do your sets, I'll be glad to let you work in with me.
#3 Women who say they don't want to get "too big" and want to "just tone up" so they use 5lbs dumbells for every workout.
#4 People who get crappy with you, because you take your 3-5 minute break between max sets, but they can't do 225lbs on ANY major compound movement.
#5 Cardio Bunnies.

Reactions: PBWalsh
@The Durk

I would like iron weights as well, but they are not exactly safe to drop from a max deadlift. My gym I go to used those same rubber coated weights. I just load up a 45# bumper and go from there.

Wholeheartedly agree on the other points! Hot chicks use heavy weight!

Reactions: The Durk
I built a garage gym for a reason. Before this I was at the only local powerlifting gym and it was awesome. But prior to that I was at a big box gym and got tired of them complaining about chalk, deadlifts, and bending their bars. You pay people to clean up, this is a GYM last time I checked, and buy better equipment. They finally got what they wanted and I left.

I'm going to get a ton of crap for this, but I'll confide that I enjoy the hell out of the crossfit places around me. As much as they have their own quirky community, that group has done more for Oly lifting than any I can think of. So yes, I go bang those bumpers around there.

I'm going to get a ton of crap for this, but I'll confide that I enjoy the hell out of the crossfit places around me. As much as they have their own quirky community, that group has done more for Oly lifting than any I can think of. So yes, I go bang those bumpers around there.
Nothing wrong with wanting to improve yourself, even if it's yoga. If you find something you can stick with, go with it. I find doing Strongman competitions keeps me interested in lifting. ALWAYS something new that I've never done in the next competition.

@The Durk

I would like iron weights as well, but they are not exactly safe to drop from a max deadlift. My gym I go to used those same rubber coated weights. I just load up a 45# bumper and go from there.

Wholeheartedly agree on the other points! Hot chicks use heavy weight!
I've run out of space, using bumper plates and the plastic covered weights. I unfortunately will either have to make my own deadlift platform at home, or find a new gym to grow in. When I'm competing with guys who pull 650+ lbs, being held back by only being able to lift 545lbs is a huge disadvantage.

Well, I’m about 135# away from 650 so I can’t testify to running out of room!

One day I hope to understand that!

See above posts on home gyms, but if you're serious about heavy training you need to train at home unless you live next to Metroflex in DFW or Olymipc Gym in San Antonio, or a gym that caters to athletes, not models.

I've been training at home since the late 90's and I can easily load 600 plus on a bar using regular metal plates. And I don't own 100's. If you're worried about dropping it, put some plywood under the weights. When it's shredded, replace. If you're putting more than 225 over your head, from the floor, on a regular basis, get up off a buck and get some bumper plates, and get a coach. You have potential beyond the garage.

Don't skimp on the bar. A good power bar can be had in the $300 range, weights are around 50 cents a pound. Doable, and you don't have to drive to the gym.

Squat, Bench, Deadlift, overhead press, power clean, pull ups, push ups, repeat. Repeat.

God bless America

Lets get some pictures of these home powerlifting gyms in here.

Here you go. Nothing fancy but I have everything I need.

20181113_193419.jpg

20181113_193341.jpg

20181113_193401.jpg

20181113_193352.jpg

Nothing wrong with wanting to improve yourself, even if it's yoga. If you find something you can stick with, go with it. I find doing Strongman competitions keeps me interested in lifting. ALWAYS something new that I've never done in the next competition.

I frequently go to the yoga places around here. I tell everyone it really helps with the big lifts; in reality, it is to get a rear view of the yoga pants. Life is swell.

@One1Bravo That is a sweet set-up. I just like the rubber bumpers for the overhead work. I'm not going to let any shoulder to overhead over 250# slowly come back to rest upright. That shit is hitting the floor.

When I was on the carrier they had a fairly good sized gym in the hanger bay and I would see all of the above lol. Years and a few gym memberships later I have a small home gym-just a bench, barbell, and plates. I can bench press, squat, deadlift, power clean, and curl-then go outside and run. Love it.

bahaha we have those same curlers at our squat rack too!

"Put down the phone and lift!"

Great idea and think I am going to have one made up. BTW Powdahound76 some of us old guys (62) have been hitting the weights since some of you were in diapers. We were taught good weight room etiquette and to be considerate. Most of the issues I see today are with the younger folks in the gym. Keep your friend motivated.

Some people worked out on a farm and didn't need to go to the gym. There’s farm-boy strength and there’s weight-lifting strength. I’ll take farm-boy strength any day. There is a difference.

Reactions: BCX and Geno C.
Some people worked out on a farm and didn't need to go to the gym. There’s farm-boy strength and there’s weight-lifting strength. I’ll take farm-boy strength any day. There is a difference.
We always called those functional muscles and look muscles. Just because muscles have the look, doesn’t mean they’re functional in real world work.

Reactions: rsee03
Buy the stuff and set it in yer basement....set of dumbbells and a rack....basic bench and free weights, bars and stuff. Squat rack, low row, leg press, pull down machine, etc. Then get up at 4 - 5am and get it done in the basement. For what it costs to buy memebership at the gym and wait for the fuck-a-rounds you can have yer own gym and ignore them.

Got tired of it 40 years ago...I wake up, gulp a cup of coffee, and hit the weights at 5:10 AM. At 6am I'm done, Another cup of coffee and check emails as a cool down....eat a light breakfast at 6:10, shower/shit/shave at 6:30 and head to work at 6:50. Fuck gyms...buy yer own stuff and bypass the debutantes. Never liked gyms.

VooDoo

Reactions: MarinePMI
See above posts on home gyms, but if you're serious about heavy training you need to train at home unless you live next to Metroflex in DFW or Olymipc Gym in San Antonio, or a gym that caters to athletes, not models.

I've been training at home since the late 90's and I can easily load 600 plus on a bar using regular metal plates. And I don't own 100's. If you're worried about dropping it, put some plywood under the weights. When it's shredded, replace. If you're putting more than 225 over your head, from the floor, on a regular basis, get up off a buck and get some bumper plates, and get a coach. You have potential beyond the garage.

Don't skimp on the bar. A good power bar can be had in the $300 range, weights are around 50 cents a pound. Doable, and you don't have to drive to the gym.

Squat, Bench, Deadlift, overhead press, power clean, pull ups, push ups, repeat. Repeat.

God bless America
I am a competitive powerlifter and have totaled elite in several different RAW weight classes and I totally agree...and just to be clear..a standard commercial Olympic bar will load up to 795lbs using standard 45lbs plates..I’m not sure when using kilo plates..but I am positive on the 45lbs plates

I was in a deadlift competition at a fitness expo once and it ended at 795 with us just seeing who could do more reps...yeah, several guys who make a living out of lifting thoroughly whipped me..no real surprise lol

Bench

I walked into the locker room and there was a naked guy fluffing his wiener up while taking selfies. I yelled ‘NO’ in his face. He asked me “what”. I told him to take his gay shit elsewhere. He walked over and apologized and then wanted to talk to me about college football.
The gym I go to is in a fairly wealthy area. It amazes me how many people are so inconsiderate of others with the locker room, pool ,sauna and work out area.
Then there is the non members coming in and playing basketball in the gym.
I have had to get gruff with a few of them too.

Eh I understand the cell phone hate but I get the other end too.
I have a newborn and I'm constantly on call. To go with that, I also work ridiculously long hours. When I go to the gym, my phone has to be constantly checked. That said, when I know it'll be frequent, I don't try to tie up much.
I think my biggest peeve is setting up a bench, going to grab more weight or something, coming back and finding someone just snatched it

New member and first post here. Just happened to be exploring the forum when a 5’8 150 lb wanna be Lou Ferrigno Jr. felt the need to yell out Ronnie Coleman’s favorite chants while he struggled with his 135lb deadlifts... ironic that I ran across this thread

In the middle of a hour of 120 bpm cardio. I had to stay on the phone to be sane

"Put down the phone and lift!"

Great idea and think I am going to have one made up. BTW Powdahound76 some of us old guys (62) have been hitting the weights since some of you were in diapers. We were taught good weight room etiquette and to be considerate. Most of the issues I see today are with the younger folks in the gym. Keep your friend motivated.

Maybe at the multi gen gym but at my 55+ rec center(I'm 73) I have never met more ignorant people in my life. Sitting on a leg machine drinking coffee & yapping to the guy on the bike this guy calls the manager when I asked if he would move so I could use the machine. Manager says I'm wrong!! REALLY???? I gave up going. Just work out t home now. The world has changed in my 73 years. People just have no respect for others any more!! thank God or the gun community.

BW

Hi,

Sooo you were at the gym but exploring the forum??

Pretty sure that was mentioned several post about as being someones Peeve, lololol.

Sincerely,
Theis

Haha, I sometimes get on SH in between my sets if I’m doing a powerlifting movement with 4-5 minute rest intervals.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Update: I had to park at a bank across the parking lot from our gym today. I hate the first 2 months of a new year. God bless the 1% of the newbies who will stick it out and actually get in shape , the other 99% are just taking up machines, lockers, floor space and oxygen. March can't get here fast enough....

Reactions: justwoody1