Planning To Buy Reloading Equipment-Where To Start

bryce01

Private
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2010
Bullard, TX. USA
RE: Long Distance Shooting

Had an RCBS reloading ensemble many years ago, flawless. Any recommendations on who is the leader in reloading equipment, and ideally, the most cost efficient.
Also, see that one can procure a Competition Full Length Rifle Die Set (RCBS). Anyone ever use this?
Thnx, ba

Re: Planning To Buy Reloading Equipment-Where To Start

In 7/8 x 14 type dies , In my opinion Redding Comp dies are very good and I prefer them to either Foster or RCBS which are still good dies.
In arbor press straight line type dies I like Wilson .
However there is a few custom dies that are just as good or even better.

Re: Planning To Buy Reloading Equipment-Where To Start

I always recommend the RCBS Rockchucker Kit as a good place to start. It comes with almost all of the stuff besides dies and components to start loading. A lot of people like Redding and while I would agree that Redding dies are nicer than RCBS as far as presses I don't see much difference in the top brands for single stage presses.

I have RCBS, Foster & Redding "Competition Dies" where the seater has a micrometer adjustment and would give the nod to Redding but I doubt you could tell a difference from ammo loaded on one or the other.

For standard loading I use a mix of Hornady, Redding, RCBS, Lyman and even Lee dies. Since you asked about Long Distance Shooting though I would stay with the Redding dies.

While not a necessity, I find that having a powder dispenser and/or digital dispenser/scale combo is a great tool for making precision loading go faster. With a typical volumetric thrower/dispenser I would suggest throwing slightly under charge weight and trickle to finish. Since I am lazy though I use the RCBS Powdermaster Digital Scale & Dispenser combo. Definitely worth the $250 I paid for it.

I am a bit of a reloading junkie so I have way more stuff than any one person needs for reloading but I like tools and toys and all of the stuff I have makes the job more fun and either go faster or be more precise. For high volume loading I use a Dillon 550b and typically just load handgun rounds on it although I have done rifle on it before. I still load everything on a single stage, including handgun rounds, but that's only because it takes longer to change stuff on the Dillon so I will do load development on the Rockchucker, batches of 50 or less and once I have a load I like I will crank a ton out on the Dillon. I have a Dillon Square Deal for handgun only loading but I haven't set it up yet as the "gun room" is still in disarray from the move awhile back. For rifle loads I prefer to go single stage just because there are a lot more steps to rifle loading than handgun loading. I also have a Lyman turret press that I keep loaded with different seating and/or crimping dies as I usually re-size and prime in batches separately.

I find that for me it is a better use of time to de-prime & re-size the brass in larger batches and do any other prep like trimming, chamfering & de-burring at the same time. Then I will remove any case lube with a towel or rag and then prime the cases with a Hornady hand held primer tool. That way when I go to load I can just charge the case, seat the bullet & crimp (if needed). I find this makes the reloading more fun and it seems to go faster. Not to mention my son & daughter like to help so I get them to help with the various processes that do not invlove powder or primers.