• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

please help me with my .308 load

dvdt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2009
Dallas,TX
I need some help to figure out what I need to address next for my load and rifle...

I've been doing load development for my 700 SPS-V (1:12 26" tube). It's an AICS chassis and has a 4-14x Falcon. I'm using :

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Lapua brass - mostly virgin[*]CCI BR2 primers[*]Hodgdon Varget[*]168 or 175 gr SMK[/list]

I previously shot some 168gr SMK and grouped 0.567" for a 4 shot group. I usually fire 5 shot groups but I know I pulled one. They were loaded to 2.800" COAL per my book and Hodgdon's website. I loaded these per my Hornady book at 32.6, 34.9, 37.1, 39.4, 41.7 and finally 44gr. The 0.567" group was with the 44gr which started making the bolt lift difficult.

Today I shot 175gr SMK at 2.800" COAL (per book/Hodgdon's website). I went from 42.4 gr of Varget up to 43.8gr in 0.2 gr increments. I also shot them through my new CED M2.

As you might expect, the bullet did great and shot a 0.839" group with more powder behind it. That group was shot with 43.8gr of Varget. It averaged 2631 ft/sec with 2641,2640,2608,2643,2626 data.

What should I do to squeeze more accuracy out of this ?
Should I keep going up in powder? Hodgdon says I can go to 45 as a max. Should I see if the 44's will help? I'd like to get some decent life of this brass.

I've read some pretty convincing threads about seating off the lands. I've not tried my hand at this yet, is that what I really need to do and then try these loads again?

I'll take any and all advice. Thanks for the help.

Re: please help me with my .308 load

Can I assume this is a factory barrel? I didn't notice anything about a custom barrel. If it is indeed a factory barrel and shooting sub MOA groups, you should be happy. 3/4 moa groups is about the best from a standard factory barrel I've seen since Mike Walker left Remington.

Did you run the virgin brass through any sizing or prep and did the shot strings separate the virgin brass from the veterans?

It sounds simple but I would play around your current charge and feel free to up it slighty concentrating on your short gains. I would'nt make any harsh commitments or decisions untill that brass made it another time around; regardless of your upcoming sizing routine (neck or FL) and check the length. Seat the bullet in a dry, clean neck.

Seating off the lands isn't real practical with the long Rem throats. Plus add the ability for AICS mag feeding. You can try 2.85COAL which will run fine in the AICS mag.

With a 26" VS I could load to a average not far from what your seeing, shortened the barrel and gained about .1. Despite all the sub .5 claims, your not far off from the average rifles capability. I also had better results with RL-15 with the 175s, loading for max velocity... from personal experience.

Unless you know for a fact how long your throat is, fooling around with seating your bullets long can be very dangerous! You're already experiencing over-pressure if your bolt is hard to lift. you DO NOT want to be jamming the bullet against the rifling. Be careful! Inspect your brass for signs of over-pressure before you find yourself with a catastrophic failure!

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes, this is a bone stock Varmint minus the AICS chassis. My intent here is to shoot this guy until my fundamentals (shooting & reloading) are solid, then think about getting some type of custom stick.

I did not touch the virgin brass. Some were a little rough around the necks and I very lightly deburr'd them.

I did anything else to them. I of course measured them and put them through my case gage to make sure they were good.

I failed to mention, I am hand priming with an RCBS universal hand primer.

+100 on the stiff bolt lift. That was with 44gr and a 168gr SMK. I do not plan to load those again.

With regards to pressure signs as temps increase, the stiff bolt lift with 44 grains and a 168gr SMK were shot in very cold conditions. Yesterday it was give or take 57 F, is the pressure difference between 44gr with a 168 and 175 that different?

I suppose my 1 time 0.567" group with a 168gr was a once in a lifetime. I thought guys on here were getting outstanding results with factory sticks and hand loads.

If you guys think this is probably as good as I'm going to get it, I'll rinse repeat again to make sure it wasn't the nut behind the trigger and then start getting to business.

Thanks!

hey try the 44gn load again.but load it to say 2.850 this shouldn't put you in the lands.for legal reasons remington gives out a deep throat.I would think your's may be like mine. it's right around 2.9 +/-.

the reason I say this is because thats my load for the 168gn smk.and I get no kind of pressure signs.no at allbut you make the call to what you want/need to do.this is something I load for my remmy and opinion.

With all this said about seating your rounds "long". Here's a little tidbit. Steyr SSG's have a ton of freebore between the chamber and the rifling. I've seen it. Looks to be almost 1/2"!!! I've never measured it but You really can't even seat most bullets to be anywhere close. And yet, their accuracy is undeniable... Even with factory match ammo... Hmmm....

I had a remington 308 and the throat was so long that I needed to have an OAL of 3.1" with 175 smks to touch the lands. That is wayyy out there so I just seated em at 2.85 so I could use my magazine.

I am applying shooter's choice lube on the lugs. Just a little dab but yes, it is lubed.

It sounds like my groups might tighten up once I use some 1x brass. I'll give that another shot in case the pressure signs I was seeing were related to virgin brass in a huge chamber like mentioned above.

I'm very concerned about pressure and having a failure. I'm sure that's pretty obvious given my questions.

I just had an idea this morning, I haven't cleaned this barrel in 361 shots. Should I give 'er a cleaning and try again ?

I used to clean all the time but after reading on here about not cleaning until accuracy drops off, I quit doing it after 50 rnds or whatever I shot that day. It's only fair to admit, I don't know how many rounds it takes before accuracy drops off given that I'm still working up loads.

Thoughts?

Typical 'generic loads' for SMK/Varget are 46.0gr for the 147-155gr bullet weight range, 45.5 for the 165-168gr weight range, and 45.0gr for the 175-180gr weight range. This is for use with commercial (Win/Rem, etc.) brass, and I'd consider these to be at or close to max. Military brass and tighter chambers will require lower charges.

In any case, start about 10% below max and work up. You seem to be well along this course already.

Bullet/lands contact can often be associated with pressure spikes, and may be the source of significant bolt lift resistance at lower than max charge levels, such as you appear to be experiencing.

I would shorten the OAL to between .010" and .020" less than where contact occurs, and resume load development. Only when non-contact results in a good accuracy load would I start playing with extending the OAL.

Greg

It sounds like I'm going to clean my barrel and work up ever so slightly to 44.5 gr.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm hoping to get this to 1/2 MOA even though it sounds like that might be a pipe dream for a stock rifle.

I'll be sure to keep a close eye on my COAL.

Thanks again.

I am certainly not as qualified as most of these guys, but I just bought the same rifle except I have mine in a McMillan A-5 stock. I haven't done much load development, but here are a couple of loads I worked up before I took my rifle to bed it. I just picked the rifle up from having it bedded so I look forward to finally having a chance to spend some serious time with it.

The first two fouling shots followed by my first three handloaded rounds. I am not sure why I didn't load more of this powder charge, but I only had three. At least for me, the higher in powder charge I went up the worst it shot.
DSC_0599.jpg

Next Five shots. You can see I didn't hold steady for a round. The groups started to open up for me at 44 and 44.5.
DSC_0600.jpg

Interesting. I don't have scans of my groups but they weren't anything to write home about. It didn't seem to settle in until I went towards 44.

I think I need to scrub the barrel, load more and go. I'm only loading 5 at each weight and I'm probably kidding myself thinking that I'm not influencing these shots because of bad shooting.

Lots of good advice from folks who know more than I do, but...in my .308 1/10 twist
24" Shilen bbl, I never got a good group with Varget, which I use with a lot of other cartridges with great results. I switched to RL-15 & the difference in accuracy was huge, with 155 scenars, too. Don't know why. Lapua 1-3x brass, 168 SMK, Br-2, 2.810" OAL, 45.0G RL15. fwiw...

okay, Here's an odd angle..

Start over and do it right, with a long range mentality, unless your never gonna Shoot beyond 200 yards. This will save you time, components & barrel life. IF you have a place to shoot at least 300(+)yards do a ladder test. 300 minimum, 600 is great, 1000yd ultimate, but it's easy for the wind to blow your hits off paper which knocks the test in the head.

1. Do a ladder test with three of the most popular/sucessful powders for
your cartridge/bullet. And while were on a long range forum talking about long range loads and accuracy, sell off all your 168's and never go lighter than a 175 in the future.

2.How do you do a ladder test? Glad you asked. Let's take say Reloader 15 powder. My Sierra manual states 35.8 is a start load and 41.3 is max. I like round numbers. So were gonna call it 36g. START, 41g. MAX.

3.Now you want to know what 1% increments of your MAX is. So we do the math; 41.0 x .01 = .41 So we are in this first course test jump .41 grains between each load. Again this first ladder is more course, so to save time let's bump it up to full half grain intervals, .5g.

4.No make a list of the loads you would load to have a single round from start, to max+ in .5 grain jumps. Write them down.
1.36g
2.36.5g
3.37g
4.37.5g
5.38g
6.38.5g
7.39g
8.39.5g
11.41g. BOOK MAXIMUM
12.41.5 !MAX plus!
13.42g !MAX PLUS!
14.42.5 !Max Plus!

<span style="text-decoration: underline">*** write the load number, powder type, and grains on each case of loaded ammo with a sharpie marker. For max and max plus loads i color the neck of the case RED.</span>

So now you have a mere LESS THAN 14 rounds to shoot and you will obtain VOLUMES of info. And to stop all the internet commando's from flaming me, let me say LOUD AND CLEAR

For shots #10 and on proceed with caution, looking and documenting well any signs of excessive pressure. STOP shooting when you detect the least sign of pressure: cratered primer, shiny marks on case head, Extractor/ejector marks, sticky bolt lift etc.Having max and max plus loads will let you know what the actual MAX load is for your particular rifle. My 300 win mag 1000yard rifle does not show pressure with some powders until I'm three full grain over book max. ANY loads deemed too hot to be safe to shoot should be pulled apart/unloaded right there at the range for safety reasons.

Shoot each load at THE SAME AIMING POINT. MARK each bullet hole by it's shot number referenced by it's powder charge after it's shot because you will have overlapping holes. Shoot one mark one. There are several ways of doing this whether it be shoot one and walk down and mark it, to really strong spotting scopes (always seems to screw up my ladder tests and I have to start over)DIY target cams, or coloring coding shots by coloring the bullet with a red,green & blue markers accordingly and shooting at white paper. The marker will transfer to the target paper. I'd still not shoot more than 3 before walking. Me?? No- I'd certainly not want it to ever be said I have a faithful & trusted shooting companion down range with a marker standing off to the side of the target board a safe distance and we "shoot one, mark one" as a expedient team.

So what's happening on paper? You will get a vertical string of hits. (don't worry if they shift left and right with the wind, that is irrelevant right now, trust me.) First thought is that it's increasing velocity that makes the hits climb up the target, and that is true to a point. What is also happening for the most part is the bullets are leaving the barrel in a different state of barrel flex, or vibration.

You need to understand this. When you fire your rifle, your barrel flexes in a sine wave pattern. What your getting in the ladder test is the bullet is exiting the muzzle shot to shot, with the barrel flexed more and more up.

BUT, ahah! you will get a few shots that cluster, or actually make a decent group on your target, despite their each one having a differing powder charge.

ENTER THE "NODE." The node is the very top of the wave and very bottom. For ultimate accuracy, you want your bullet exiting the muzzle precisely when it has flexed all the way up, STOPPED [for a nano second] before it begins it journey flexing back down. This is why you had a decent group or two during the ladder test, despite differing powder charges.

So now your looking at the ladder test target. You got shots all over the place vertically, but some formed nice clusters, or groups.

Note each powder charge that grouped. Let's say for this test, bullet holes 2,3,4 formed a group, and 7,8,9 formed a group.

So this is awesome. In a mere 11 or so shots, we learned at what powder charges the bullets actually leaves the barrel <span style="text-decoration: underline">when the muzzle is not moving(vibrating) around wildly.</span>

So now we go home sip a beverage and study and DOCUMENT our findings.

We see 36.5, 37 & 37.5grains shoot in the node of the barrel.

We now take these and do a refined but even smaller ladder test. (We do this for the other clustered shots too! Don't neglect to further ladder test any loads that formed a cluster/group.)

Let's jump in finer, .3grn increments now, we are refining things now. let's go a little outside* this accuracy window, powder charge-wise though just for good measure

1\36.3*
2\36.6
3\36.9
4\37.2
5\37.5
6\37.8*grains

So now we have a good lot of charges with overlap a little each way from the accuracy cluster of the first ladder test. we only loaded one of each charge again. Now go repeat the ladder test/target, and again in a mere 6 shots you will have volumes MORE information. [Don't forget to do this second ladder test for every accuracy cluster/group that showed up on the first test]For each ladder, it is optimal to back up at least another hundred yards from the last distance.

You will get another accuracy cluster, all the more dead-on the barrel's node. Let's say shots 2,3,6 again formed a group.

Now you go back and load 5 SHOT GROUPS for each of these:
5@ 36.6 grains
5@ 36.9 grns
5@ 37.2 g.

One of these will prove overall best. Now you got your load! And it is the LEAST sensitive to shot to shot velocity variations due to being on or near the node.

Now go back with this same powder charge in every round but play with bullet seating depth ladder test. Then if you want to be super anal,and can get out to at least 600yds. refine your powder charge by a .1 grain ladder test, then go back with a fixed powder charge, fixed bullet seating depth, and run primer brand testing too!

This is how 1000 yard bench rest loads are worked up & records broken. You may not choose to refine it to the n'th degree, but running 3, ever finer ladder tests as described here will get any rifle shooting as good as it practically can.

I just ran ladder test 1(course) and test 2 (refined) with my .300 win mag (FACTORY savage tac) I'm to where I need to move to 5 shot groups. But, for my 3rd and most fine/narrow ladder test I moved back to 500 yards. I fired two identical rounds to warm my bore and verify my point of impact on the 500 yard target, using a load from the middle ladder test that was already showing a good powder charge. My buddy who was not down range, not helping me from no where near the target board called back on the radio and said "Damn, don't change a thing, sighter shots 1 & 2 are within 3/4" of each other!!

I can't wait to get back to the range and run these final 5 shot groups, and then on to this weekends first 1000 yard f-class match in my AO with my new rifle.

This picture below was the last ladder test I did with my .300 Win Mag Savage Tactical rifle. Each shot was .5 grains hotter (H4831SC powder)than the last.

It's really easy to see exactly where the node is on this target. Shot 1-9 are in the photo but #'s 10 & 11 strung on up the target out the top, not in photo.

Remember that no two of these bullets holes where fired with the same powder charge, but <span style="text-decoration: underline">shooting in the node is where it's at</span>- the "four shot group" shown here, #'s 6,7,8 & 9 formed a 3.130" group or .63 moa group @ 525 yards from a factory Savage, with all differing loads. (And obviously in the picture- this was all from wind. I was disregarding and shooting right through wind gusts. There's only .949" of vertical dispersion here or .19 MOA @ 525 laser'd yards.)

Going back and trying my 5 (identically loaded) shot groups should theoretically at least shrink this by half, most likely quite bit more and identify my rifle's ultimate load with a 210 VLD bullet, and H4831SC powder. From what I have seen thus far with this rifle I'm looking for at least SUB(!) .35 moa 5 shot groups in the end. I'd sure take .2_ moa numbers.

Gentlemen and ladies, this is THE way to work up a load, and it won't even take a full box of bullets to do so.
Nodetesttarget.jpg

What I do is have five targets for each increment of powder. I take turns shooting at each then when I get home I lay each target over a master target and pencil in the holes. I label each hole over the vertical axis. When I am done I have 5 shots at each Target with 5 targets. Now the master target will have 25 holes colored on it. It is real neat to see how the bullet impact moves up with the powder and the oscillating barrel.

My local range is full of plinkers. There is noway I can walk down range in between volleys to label bullet holes. So I use multiple targets and transcribe the holes to a master. That way I only have to go downrange to retrieve the targets

This technique makes a lot of sense. My question is: does group size trump all? By this I mean I have found a nice load for my Rem700 5R (175 SMK, Norma brass, Varget, BR2) that groups very well but the standard deviation of the velocity is 21.8. The same load in Federal cases gave me a Sd of 6.0 but with twice the group size. This was at 200 yards.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this. A good group at 200 yards should still be a good group at 600 and beyond, right?? If so, where does standard deviation come in?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvdt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been doing load development for my 700 SPS-V (1:12 26" tube). </div></div>

Ever considered 155gr Palma or Scenar? They might work better with your slow twist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: littledog28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This technique makes a lot of sense. My question is: does group size trump all? By this I mean I have found a nice load for my Rem700 5R (175 SMK, Norma brass, Varget, BR2) that groups very well but the standard deviation of the velocity is 21.8. The same load in Federal cases gave me a Sd of 6.0 but with twice the group size. This was at 200 yards.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this. A good group at 200 yards should still be a good group at 600 and beyond, right?? If so, where does standard deviation come in?

</div></div>

DOG28,

To answer your questions no a 100 or 2hun yard load that shoots in one hole may not be a good shooter at 600 or 1000. This is hard on my head, but for me personally I have had loads that would hold 1.5moa or less @ 1000 NEVER shoot "well" @ 100, at all! I mean you'd think a great 1000yd load would shoot like .1 moa @ 100, but nope.

Theoretically, if you have a good load that shoots nice groups, with extreme low ES #'s, at short range it should fare pretty well, but don't consider your load refining done or near done until you try it way out.

Bottom line from experience, despite what "common sense" leads me to believe should be the case, work up all loads form the longest range you have access to. Sure, get you a load that shows potential At 2 or 300, but then back way up to the furthest range you can shoot. Any more work @ 200 yards, for a long range load is basically a waste of components.

Back to the ladder test: shooting at the node of the barrel is more forgiving @ (long) range in regards to Muzzle Velocity [MV] Extreme Spread [ES] as well Standard Seviation. [SD]

Your low Sd loads with Federal cases should have won out, in the group department but any time you change something you have to reset up your loading gear. Brand to brand of cases will have different neck wall thickness, changing how tight the case is squeezing/hanging onto the bullet. Change your neck bushing to maintain the same ___ thousandth's inch worth of press of the bullet into the case, or with regular dies, get another/extra expander ball/button and polish it down to give the same effect.

Once just for kicks, I measured the loaded rounds of all the differing kinds of .223 cases I had. If I ran it through the same die set up- though the every thing else was the same, powder change, seating depth etc. But with the varying wall thickness between all the different cases- there would be anywhere from .001" press [how undersized the mouth of the case is to the bullet dia.] to .0045" that's a lot of variation of case grip on the bullet.

Perhaps your primer pockets were more uniform in the Federals giving you lower SD's, but you have to remember a brass cartridge case is a combustion chamber. Change case brand and you have changed combustion chamber size. So XX grains of Varget in case brand A, will not shoot the same as XX grains of Varget in case brand X.

[Accuracy refining tip:]
There is also variation from case to case in the same brand. This is why most 1000 yard shooters as well as practically every benchrest shooter sorts their cases by weight. If they all weight really close to the same, you know theres the same amount of brass in each making it pretty safe to assume each little combustion chamber is the same size, so when we add the same amount of carefully weighed fuel, into the same sized combustion chambers our weapon fires the same each time with reproducible results, shot to shot to shot. And consistency in shooting plunder is where accuracy is at. It is merely seeking consistency in why we do everything we do from bed the action, weigh the charge, weigh the case, weigh & measure the bullet, lighten the trigger pull, buy an expensive scope; it's all seeking consistency.

So to again make sure I answer you question: the deviation of a good shooting 200 yd. group not shooting good at 600 is basically that range magnifies every flaw or Inconsistency.

You can get away with a whole lot more inconsistency at short range than you can at long. Think of it in these ridiculous terms. I could probably buy a used $90 Rossi rifle & affix a 40x magnification scope on it. For a target I could print a single period on the middle of a sheet of paper, and then go shoot at it just out side of powder burn range. I might get a "benchrest" sized group. But back up to 100 yards. Now what do I have? Range magnifies every flaw of inconsistency. STRIVE for consistency.

Most people know the things to do to get a fine shooting rifle & ammo together, but never knew or thought about they were after rigid consistency. Like why do we buy $300 barrel? Because it has a
CONSISTENTLY smooth interior so our CONSISTENT bullet jacked does not get marred, ripped and torn rendering it INconsistent as it heads down range, and on & on & on with examples.

In the words of the Hide member here that got me up and running with 1000yds. handloading, "1000 yards is brutal."- CRIVER

Stay add it, and spit, split hairs in your chase for consistency.
Tres

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Crickets...nothing but crickets. where did everyone go? </div></div>
Don't worry I've been taking notes of everything you have said! Im sure Im not alone here. Thanks for the useful info bro.

I've been paying close attention... as a matter of fact, i just ordered a bunch of reloading equipment today. I will be working on my first ladder test soon.

Thanks for all the information you shared.

TresMon,
Wow! what a great write up. I'm very new to long range shooting but I want to get there. My oldest son was a Marine sniper. I really must say that your information not only makes since but also and most important written very well so that I (a novice to long range shooting)can most appreciate. I just finished Glen Zedikers reloading book and relized that over the last 30 some years I havn't been reloading at all.
Don't get a big head but... thanks!
Sully

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">okay, Here's an odd angle..

Start over and do it right, with a long range mentality, unless your never gonna Shoot beyond 200 yards. This will save you time, components & barrel life. IF you have a place to shoot at least 300(+)yards do a ladder test. 300 minimum, 600 is great, 1000yd ultimate, but it's easy for the wind to blow your hits off paper which knocks the test in the head.

1. Do a ladder test with three of the most popular/sucessful powders for
your cartridge/bullet. And while were on a long range forum talking about long range loads and accuracy, sell off all your 168's and never go lighter than a 175 in the future.

2.How do you do a ladder test? Glad you asked. Let's take say Reloader 15 powder. My Sierra manual states 35.8 is a start load and 41.3 is max. I like round numbers. So were gonna call it 36g. START, 41g. MAX.

3.Now you want to know what 1% increments of your MAX is. So we do the math; 41.0 x .01 = .41 So we are in this first course test jump .41 grains between each load. Again this first ladder is more course, so to save time let's bump it up to full half grain intervals, .5g.

4.No make a list of the loads you would load to have a single round from start, to max+ in .5 grain jumps. Write them down.
1.36g
2.36.5g
3.37g
4.37.5g
5.38g
6.38.5g
7.39g
8.39.5g
11.41g. BOOK MAXIMUM
12.41.5 !MAX plus!
13.42g !MAX PLUS!
14.42.5 !Max Plus!

<span style="text-decoration: underline">*** write the load number, powder type, and grains on each case of loaded ammo with a sharpie marker. For max and max plus loads i color the neck of the case RED.</span>

So now you have a mere LESS THAN 14 rounds to shoot and you will obtain VOLUMES of info. And to stop all the internet commando's from flaming me, let me say LOUD AND CLEAR

For shots #10 and on proceed with caution, looking and documenting well any signs of excessive pressure. STOP shooting when you detect the least sign of pressure: cratered primer, shiny marks on case head, Extractor/ejector marks, sticky bolt lift etc.Having max and max plus loads will let you know what the actual MAX load is for your particular rifle. My 300 win mag 1000yard rifle does not show pressure with some powders until I'm three full grain over book max. ANY loads deemed too hot to be safe to shoot should be pulled apart/unloaded right there at the range for safety reasons.

Shoot each load at THE SAME AIMING POINT. MARK each bullet hole by it's shot number referenced by it's powder charge after it's shot because you will have overlapping holes. Shoot one mark one. There are several ways of doing this whether it be shoot one and walk down and mark it, to really strong spotting scopes (always seems to screw up my ladder tests and I have to start over)DIY target cams, or coloring coding shots by coloring the bullet with a red,green & blue markers accordingly and shooting at white paper. The marker will transfer to the target paper. I'd still not shoot more than 3 before walking. Me?? No- I'd certainly not want it to ever be said I have a faithful & trusted shooting companion down range with a marker standing off to the side of the target board a safe distance and we "shoot one, mark one" as a expedient team.

So what's happening on paper? You will get a vertical string of hits. (don't worry if they shift left and right with the wind, that is irrelevant right now, trust me.) First thought is that it's increasing velocity that makes the hits climb up the target, and that is true to a point. What is also happening for the most part is the bullets are leaving the barrel in a different state of barrel flex, or vibration.

You need to understand this. When you fire your rifle, your barrel flexes in a sine wave pattern. What your getting in the ladder test is the bullet is exiting the muzzle shot to shot, with the barrel flexed more and more up.

BUT, ahah! you will get a few shots that cluster, or actually make a decent group on your target, despite their each one having a differing powder charge.

ENTER THE "NODE." The node is the very top of the wave and very bottom. For ultimate accuracy, you want your bullet exiting the muzzle precisely when it has flexed all the way up, STOPPED [for a nano second] before it begins it journey flexing back down. This is why you had a decent group or two during the ladder test, despite differing powder charges.

So now your looking at the ladder test target. You got shots all over the place vertically, but some formed nice clusters, or groups.

Note each powder charge that grouped. Let's say for this test, bullet holes 2,3,4 formed a group, and 7,8,9 formed a group.

So this is awesome. In a mere 11 or so shots, we learned at what powder charges the bullets actually leaves the barrel <span style="text-decoration: underline">when the muzzle is not moving(vibrating) around wildly.</span>

So now we go home sip a beverage and study and DOCUMENT our findings.

We see 36.5, 37 & 37.5grains shoot in the node of the barrel.

We now take these and do a refined but even smaller ladder test. (We do this for the other clustered shots too! Don't neglect to further ladder test any loads that formed a cluster/group.)

Let's jump in finer, .3grn increments now, we are refining things now. let's go a little outside* this accuracy window, powder charge-wise though just for good measure

1\36.3*
2\36.6
3\36.9
4\37.2
5\37.5
6\37.8*grains

So now we have a good lot of charges with overlap a little each way from the accuracy cluster of the first ladder test. we only loaded one of each charge again. Now go repeat the ladder test/target, and again in a mere 6 shots you will have volumes MORE information. [Don't forget to do this second ladder test for every accuracy cluster/group that showed up on the first test]For each ladder, it is optimal to back up at least another hundred yards from the last distance.

You will get another accuracy cluster, all the more dead-on the barrel's node. Let's say shots 2,3,6 again formed a group.

Now you go back and load 5 SHOT GROUPS for each of these:
5@ 36.6 grains
5@ 36.9 grns
5@ 37.2 g.

One of these will prove overall best. Now you got your load! And it is the LEAST sensitive to shot to shot velocity variations due to being on or near the node.

Now go back with this same powder charge in every round but play with bullet seating depth ladder test. Then if you want to be super anal,and can get out to at least 600yds. refine your powder charge by a .1 grain ladder test, then go back with a fixed powder charge, fixed bullet seating depth, and run primer brand testing too!

This is how 1000 yard bench rest loads are worked up & records broken. You may not choose to refine it to the n'th degree, but running 3, ever finer ladder tests as described here will get any rifle shooting as good as it practically can.

I just ran ladder test 1(course) and test 2 (refined) with my .300 win mag (FACTORY savage tac) I'm to where I need to move to 5 shot groups. But, for my 3rd and most fine/narrow ladder test I moved back to 500 yards. I fired two identical rounds to warm my bore and verify my point of impact on the 500 yard target, using a load from the middle ladder test that was already showing a good powder charge. My buddy who was not down range, not helping me from no where near the target board called back on the radio and said "Damn, don't change a thing, sighter shots 1 & 2 are within 3/4" of each other!!

I can't wait to get back to the range and run these final 5 shot groups, and then on to this weekends first 1000 yard f-class match in my AO with my new rifle.

This picture below was the last ladder test I did with my .300 Win Mag Savage Tactical rifle. Each shot was .5 grains hotter (H4831SC powder)than the last.

It's really easy to see exactly where the node is on this target. Shot 1-9 are in the photo but #'s 10 & 11 strung on up the target out the top, not in photo.

Remember that no two of these bullets holes where fired with the same powder charge, but <span style="text-decoration: underline">shooting in the node is where it's at</span>- the "four shot group" shown here, #'s 6,7,8 & 9 formed a 3.130" group or .63 moa group @ 525 yards from a factory Savage, with all differing loads. (And obviously in the picture- this was all from wind. I was disregarding and shooting right through wind gusts. There's only .949" of vertical dispersion here or .19 MOA @ 525 laser'd yards.)

Going back and trying my 5 (identically loaded) shot groups should theoretically at least shrink this by half, most likely quite bit more and identify my rifle's ultimate load with a 210 VLD bullet, and H4831SC powder. From what I have seen thus far with this rifle I'm looking for at least SUB(!) .35 moa 5 shot groups in the end. I'd sure take .2_ moa numbers.

Gentlemen and ladies, this is THE way to work up a load, and it won't even take a full box of bullets to do so.
Nodetesttarget.jpg

</div></div>

TresMon,
Like others have said Great write up! I could never have put it into words and explained it like you did here. I probably would have forgot to mention a step or two!

Guy's I will back TresMon's post 100%! I don't know him from Adam. But I have recently used this very process in using the ladder test. I will not use any other process! It saved me 100s of headaches and a lot less rounds fired with wasted components. Follow these instruction to the tee! You want be disappointed!

TresMon, wow, job well done on this topic. Just a quick question to help me get started. After you have determined your powder load and want to start playing with seating depth. Can you get away with just adjusting your depth or do you have to start the whole process over again and adjust your powders again. Once again great read!

Thanks fellas.

Onedash: Yes it does. (and if two bullets vary a lot in bearing surface though the weight be the same, you might want to repeat as well. I.e. a 190 grain VLD, verses a 190 grain hunting bullet.)

Hawk:yeah once you find THE seating depth, you'll prolly be happy- but going back and playing with powder charges again just a few tenth grains either way might shave just a little more off your groups...

Gunslinger: shazam! lol..

Thanks,
T

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Crickets...nothing but crickets. where did everyone go? </div></div>

Damn that was funny!!! You made soda come out my nose DAMN that burns LOL!!!!

I also do ladders and agree with you the sad thing about it is we lost our place where we could shoot at 600 now the only range we have go's only to 200 it sucks and thats only on certain days so 100 is mostly what we shoot now
frown.gif

I know that only having such a short range matters but I still run ladders in my rifles as they do save me alot of time and money.

Thanks for the clear and precise write up great job! I learned about it awhile ago on Longrangehunting website.

Good Shooting!

Can somebody put standard deviation into laymans terms? I am newer to reloading and this write-up has some awesome information. I shoot out to 1000yd very often and have been pretty damn consistent and this thread is going to get me where I'm trying to go, I just can't seem to find much info on SD and TresMon you seem to have this subject under control
cool.gif

I'll explain standard deviation this way...I have degrees in math and mechanical engineering, so I hope my explanation is not incorrect. haha
------------------------------------------------------
Imagine that you purchase 500 SMK bullets and decide to weigh each one and record it into Excel or whatever. You will get alot of bullets that weigh the same, since SMK is very consistent. You will inevitably also get some that weigh more or less than the desired/specified weight. Imagine that we decide to categorize the weights in .1gr increments by lining up some tupperware bins. The middle bin will contain all the bullets weighing 175.0gr and the ones to the left and right will contain bullets weighing 174.9 and 175.1gr respectively. As you move out from the center, the bins contain bullets of greater "deviation" from the "mean" or average weight (we'll say that the average weight ends up being exactly 175.0gr).

Since Sierra pays close attention to detail when making their bullets, the bins further away from the middle one contain less and less bullets until there are no bullets that deviate in weight any further out.

NOW, we'll call the number of bullets in each bin the "frequency". If you were to construct a graph with the bullet weight on the horizontal x-axis and the "frequency" (or number of bullets) on the vertical y-axis, you would get a histogram visually describing the total deviation from the mean/average weight (again, we're assuming it's exactly 175.0gr). When you look at your tupperware bins, they may look very similar to the vertical bars in the histogram (i.e. How full they are). Below is a hypothetical table of the data collected and the histogram that results from it.

table.jpg
histogram.jpg

When you fit a curve around the histogram, it is called a "bell-curve" and is used to describe almost any normal distribution (meaning that there are approximately an equal amount of outlying data on each side of the mean value).

The standard deviation is simply an expression as to how "skinny" the bell curve is. If you have a wide bell curve, there is alot of data that is not very close to the mean. If the bell curve is narrow, most of the data is VERY close to the mean. The larger the standard deviation value, the less consistent the bullet weights would be (in our case). In our case, the standard deviation is about .15gr. You can use Excel's STDEV function to compute standard deviation, or you can use the mathematical formula:
std_dev.gif

Where x_i is an individual value in the sample, m is the mean, n is the total number of samples (500 in our case) and the greek letter sigma is the standard deviation.

I hope this helps.

-Erik

I'm 63 years old and started reloading around 1970 something. I just learned more from reading stuff on this sight for the last few months, than I learned in all those years. A very big THANK YOU to the guys who are willing to share all of their hard earned knowlege.

TresMon, great description of the ladder test for finding nodes. I knew the approach at a high level, but this makes it much more clear exactly how to do it.

Erik, do you mean that the small greek letter sigma to the left of the equals sign stands for "standard deviation"? And the large greek letter sigma in the square root sign stands for "sum" of the squares of the deviations of each of the individual instances from the first (i = 1) to the last (i = n)?

From my introduction to statistics over forty years ago, I remember that standard deviation was presented as a more useful measure of the variation of a group of individual values than the average of the deviations. But I don't remember why.

I understand that changing any component: primer, case, powder type, powder charge, bullet manufacturer, bullet design, and bullet weight may change the point of impact and group size. Not necessarily will, but may.

So, it sounds like one starts with a specific bullet (manufacturer, design, and weight), group of cases, a primer, powder, and cartridge overall length and trys to vary the powder charge to find a sweet load. If one can't be found, then vary each of the variables one at a time until the sweet load is found, or one adequately sweet is found.

Some components are generaly found to contribute to a sweet load. Like specific cases, bullets, primers and powders. So they form a starting point. For example, Lapua brass, Sierra Matchking bullets, Federal benchrest primers, and Reloader 15. Or pick another combination of generally quality components. But, two factory rifles with identical actions and barrels may like two different sets of combinations. Usually, rifles that are "built" very carefully and use best quality stiff (heavy) barrels will be not only in the ball park, but closer to home plate with the usual "sweet" loads or factory match ammunition.

In my understanding and FWIW and YMMV.
smile.gif