• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

POLL: What POWERED case trimmer do you use? NOT which do you think is best, but what did you actually buy?

NORCAL50

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2021
California
POLL LINK: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1J6IvSBMY9_537sloAGd6oElcDUQoLBt0znX01s1ZRTw/edit

Just curious because everyone always comments what they wish they had or think is best, but I want to see what people actually use for whatever reason.

Also, I saw another thread posted on SH very similar to this, but it wasn't a poll. Am just trying to get better data. After you fill out the poll, I'm curious to know what you like/don't like about what you currently use.

EDIT: RESULTS AS OF 6/28/24 12:57 PM PST

Attachments

• POLL_TRIMMERS3.PNG
    POLL_TRIMMERS3.PNG
    63.4 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
POLL LINK: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1J6IvSBMY9_537sloAGd6oElcDUQoLBt0znX01s1ZRTw/edit

Just curious because everyone always comments what they wish they had or think is best, but I want to see what people actually use for whatever reason.

Also, I saw another thread posted on SH very similar to this, but it wasn't a poll. Am just trying to get better data. After you fill out the poll, I'm curious to know what you like/don't like about what you currently use.
Why didn’t you use the poll function here on SH? Much easier for casual people to use if your goal is to truly get a sampling. 😉

I've got a Giraud Power trimmer. I am super happy with it, saves a ton of time when doing large volume

When I purchased the unit I underestimated how finicky it would be to set the cutter head perfectly so I only bought 2. One for the main cartridge I shoot and I figured one to adjust for other cases, it's not the end of the world but getting the cutter head perfect can take some time/ trial and error.
I've been meaning to order one for each case then I can set it and forget it and just swap the cutter heads as needed to make change over easy.

I put a 90 degree drill head in my vice. Hook it to my drill and use a WFT. I have a cut prince Albert tabbacco can to catch shavings.

I've got a Giraud Power trimmer. I am super happy with it, saves a ton of time when doing large volume

When I purchased the unit I underestimated how finicky it would be to set the cutter head perfectly so I only bought 2. One for the main cartridge I shoot and I figured one to adjust for other cases, it's not the end of the world but getting the cutter head perfect can take some time/ trial and error.
I've been meaning to order one for each case then I can set it and forget it and just swap the cutter heads as needed to make change over easy.

Dedicated cutter heads for each cartridge you reload for is the way to go with the Giraud.

Another tip is to use locking rings on the case holders, so you don't have to continually re-do that part of the setup. If you want to be super gucci, you could Whidden adjustable lock ring to give 1 thou adjustments.

Same. I quickly ordered about 5 more in other case sizes and it was worth it.

Reactions: Taylorbok
What application?

I trim precision loads manually and use a mark7 power trim on a Dillon 750xl for bulk stuff.
As long as it's powered, because I refuse to go back to manual, even for my precision stuff. Just wondering what people actually use, because everyone always says "Giraud, nuff said" or "Henderson master race" so I'm trying to see if people put their money behind their recommendations.

Reactions: lash
I'm a cheapskate when it comes to certain things, and powered case trimming/chamfering happens to be one of them. But agreed that I'll never do manual as my bulk approach again.

I bought the Trim-It II, with a couple shoulder bushings for different calibers (6.5CM and 6BR). They have a limited list of cartridges, but you can adjust the carbide cutter to handle necked-down variants of the parent cases they offer (I'm using my 6BR to trim 22BR cases with no issues). I chucked it up in my Harbor Freight drill press, works well. It's definitely finicky to get the chamfer juuuuust right, although OAL adjustment is easy. For some reason they saw fit to use set screws of like four different sizes, which I find fairly foolish, but it's not a show-stopper.

I'm happy with it; I only trim when the case mouth starts reaching the end of the chamber, as verified with a borescope. I still have a Frankford Arsenal Platinum Case Prep Center when I just want to touch up a chamfer, but if I was buying only one and the Trim-It II offered a bushing I could use for my cartridge, that's what I'd buy.

I'm a cheapskate when it comes to certain things, and powered case trimming/chamfering happens to be one of them. But agreed that I'll never do manual as my bulk approach again.

I bought the Trim-It II, with a couple shoulder bushings for different calibers (6.5CM and 6BR). They have a limited list of cartridges, but you can adjust the carbide cutter to handle necked-down variants of the parent cases they offer (I'm using my 6BR to trim 22BR cases with no issues). I chucked it up in my Harbor Freight drill press, works well. It's definitely finicky to get the chamfer juuuuust right, although OAL adjustment is easy. For some reason they saw fit to use set screws of like four different sizes, which I find fairly foolish, but it's not a show-stopper.

I'm happy with it; I only trim when the case mouth starts reaching the end of the chamber, as verified with a borescope. I still have a Frankford Arsenal Platinum Case Prep Center when I just want to touch up a chamfer, but if I was buying only one and the Trim-It II offered a bushing I could use for my cartridge, that's what I'd buy.
The Trim It II seemed inticing, but I feel like no one knows about that gem. Like the WFT, but tri-way, and offered in more cartridges than the Giraud Tri-Way.

Is the chamfer adjustment not the same as on the giraud though? It looks like it from the photos but I can't tell.

As long as it's powered, because I refuse to go back to manual, even for my precision stuff. Just wondering what people actually use, because everyone always says "Giraud, nuff said" or "Henderson master race" so I'm trying to see if people put their money behind their recommendations.

Is the implication that you think people are recommending a Henderson or Giraud without owning one? That’s a wild assumption 😂

21st century mini lathe and 3 way trimmer
Shit I forgot about that one. Just added. It deserves to be up there.

EDIT: For future reference, I just learned this, but you can actually add your own choice in at the bottom option "other" in case I forgot anyone. Bet SH poll doesn't do that, maybe we should add it? 😝

Last edited:
I try new stuff and then keep going back to my collection of Little Crow Gunworks WTFs I have setup for each cartridge. Instead of having to do trial and error resetting for a new cartridge, I just throw the WTF in the drill and go (trim length already set from before). The only downside is, like many other trimmers, it indexes off of the shoulder so you just have to keep in mind that shoulder bump variation will translate to trim length variation. So it's not for benchrest nerds.

Giraud. Don't know if it's better or not, just that it was a fair deal in the px so I bought it.

Little Crow WFT.

I usually chuck them in the drill. But if I have more than 50 pieces of brass to trim, or I'm in a big hurry... I'll drag everything out to the shop and chuck the trimmer in the lathe.

Mike

The Trim It II seemed inticing, but I feel like no one knows about that gem. Like the WFT, but tri-way, and offered in more cartridges than the Giraud Tri-Way.

Is the chamfer adjustment not the same as on the giraud though? It looks like it from the photos but I can't tell.
I don't recall what the Giraud adjustment is, can't speak to that. The Trim-It II has a system where you basically loosen the set screw clamping the carbide in place, then use a screw adjustment to make small adjustments in/out, then tighten the set screw.

The issues are that there's a lot of slop in that screw adjustment, so you can easily get good or bad chamfer balance from the same screw adjustment setting, and that the set screw that holds the carbide in place is the tiniest one in the entire assembly. They should've run that set screw larger for better clamping force, and eliminated a tiny Allen key in the bargain.

I check my inside chamfer (the one that matters, honestly) every 100 cases or so, and have had to make adjustments mid-session, I'm guessing because the carbide blade shifted slightly under the cutting forces. Not a big deal, but definitely an inconvenience.

Started with a trim it 2. It got annoying that I couldn't get bearings and had to adjust the blade all the time.
Sold and bought a Henderson. Used that for a bit, hated that it chattered and galled the hell out of my case necks sometimes.
Sold the Henderson and picked up a Giraud. It's not as easy on the hands for sure, but I'm satisfied with the Giraud.

I use both the Trim-It II and the Tri-Way, each dedicated to one of the two calibers that I reload for. The Tri-Way does a good job, working just fine once the setting is where you want it. Because of the hassle of getting the setting just right, I pick up the Trim-It II where the adjustments were simply much easily made. The only big issue I had with the Trim-it was that when I first got it, the cutter wasn't cutting well and leaving a burr on the interior chamfer no matter what setting or speed I used to do the trimming. Finally, because the cutter head on the Trim-It is the same as the Tri-Way, I order a cutter head from Giraud to install. Once installed and adjusted, the Trim-It has been doing a good job. . . and no issue with any kind of slippage of the adjustments.

Both trimmers do a great job for me. But. . . if I were doing more calibers and a greater number than ~100 at a time, I'd go with the Giraud Power Trimmer, hands down!

BTW: because these trimmers index off the shoulder, if you're not sizing the cases with consistent headspace, you're not going to get consistent trim lengths.

I’m more curious what the poors use since, while I like to shoot precision rifle, I’m a cheap SOB. Ask my friends. 😁

Lash,

I use these because I'm a poor and they work very well.
Mounted both to a board so they don't move around. Under $120 for the trimmer and it's very accurate if used properly.
The RCBS unit was under $90.
20240627_213302.jpg

Rather than hold the brass with my fingers, I use the K&M neck turner holder. The new ones are round and a little bigger diameter.

Saves on the soreness and cramping. I can also sleep at night after using them. It doesn't make my carpal tunnel act up.

20240627_213407.jpg

Lash,

Mounted both to a board so they don't move around. Under $120 for the trimmer and it's very accurate if used properly.
View attachment 8447891

Rather than hold the brass with my fingers, I use the K&M neck turner holder. The new ones are round and a little bigger diameter.

Saves on the soreness and cramping. I can also sleep at night after using them. It doesn't make my carpal tunnel act up.

View attachment 8447892
if you would take the spring out of the lyman ,i believe you would like it sooo much better

Wilson with a Milwaukee but I'm poor, so i trim them way short shoot them all summer and trim in the winter.

I used a Giraud for 12 years, then went Henderson. My life changed after using the Henderson.
Just easier on the fingers? I love my Giraud, but I've heard this from a couple of you guys now, so it's got me curious. I fail to see how it can be so life changing when coming from an already life changing product, care to elaborate on why you like it so much more?

I’m more curious what the poors use since, while I like to shoot precision rifle, I’m a cheap SOB. Ask my friends. 😁

I literally just went through this. I'm trying to start reloading and have most everything. I got my trimmer last week. For me, it was between the frankford arsenal case prep station with trim or the Lyman case trim Xpress. I went with the Lyman even though it only trims vs the FA that does everything. The Lyman just seemed to be higher quality. The device arrived in good shape and works great too.

Prolly worth looking at.

Just easier on the fingers? I love my Giraud, but I've heard this from a couple of you guys now, so it's got me curious. I fail to see how it can be so life changing when coming from an already life changing product, care to elaborate on why you like it so much more?
Easier adjustments, cleaner cuts, faster workflow, and easier on the hands and wrists.

Easier adjustments, cleaner cuts, faster workflow, and easier on the hands and wrists.
How is the workflow faster? Doesn’t the Henderson use a case holder that you have to lock onto the rim each time?

I have been running a giraud for over 10 years. I have dedicated cutter heads for each caliber. I use locking rings on the case holders to maintain adjustments. I don’t believe that the small variance in length make that big of a difference in accuracy so I don’t worry about it and I don’t see that much variance when I used to measure.

The giraud is so fast and easy. I usually trim every time since it’s so fast and it’s easier than running them over the powered RCBS powered case prep center to re chamber.

Downside for me is having to hold the cases by hand. I run most calibers in batches of atleast 500, so when I trim it’s a lot at a time. As I’m getting older and my hands aren’t working as well I have to take breaks in my batches sometimes,

Reactions: linedrive301ft
I've owned 7 of the trimmers on that list and sold 5 of them including the 21st century lathe, 2 Giraud's and 2 Henderson's...still have my Gen3 Henderson.

Reactions: Conqueror
Lash,

View attachment 8447891

View attachment 8447892
I bought one like 5 minutes after I read this post last night. Years of mechaniking roughnecking and generally being a ham fisted gorilla have left me to think about how bad my arthritis will be. PT pointed out the condition of my finger joints when explaining to me my spine wear. Made me much more cognizant of wear and tear on the body. A tool that reduces that wear and tear over time is worth its weight in gold to me. Thanks.

Lash,

View attachment 8447891

View attachment 8447892
Nice setup. And I’m going to get one of those K&M neck turner holders too. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: ma smith
Giraud user here. I do think it's the fastest workflow, short of running a powered trimmer on a Dillon.

Trim using both hands, alternating, with the Giraud turned facing vertically. Takes around 10 minutes to do 500-600 pieces.

Last edited:
I have the Hornady Case Prep Station for magnums and cartridges I'm only doing <100 of. It's very slow, but just as precise. The Giraud for my 6mms, 5.56. I have separate cutting heads for each cartridge pre-set, and never have to fool with adjusting the blade. It's as accurate as my digital calipers get, and it's fast. As fast as you can push in a case and give it a twist. You can do one about every five seconds, and they're all cut perfectly.

I keep 500 of every caliber I shoot in competition. After a match I can do 300 in less than an hour, whereas with other trimmers I've used case prep took forever. Not saying my time is so valuable I can afford any amount of money, but I really hate spending a ton of time on case prep. It was my least favorite part of hand loading. Now it's meh.

There's always a better mouse trap, but I've been running the Giraud for several years now and I am not in the market for something better.

Don't forget the Lee shell holder thingy.
When you purchase the handle, it doesn't come with the case holder. That's a separate piece.
Yeah I saw that and ordered a set of the Lee shell holders too.

Btw, both the Lee trimmer and the RCBS prep center are much more costly now than when you got them, lol.

How is the workflow faster? Doesn’t the Henderson use a case holder that you have to lock onto the rim each time?

I have been running a giraud for over 10 years. I have dedicated cutter heads for each caliber. I use locking rings on the case holders to maintain adjustments. I don’t believe that the small variance in length make that big of a difference in accuracy so I don’t worry about it and I don’t see that much variance when I used to measure.

The giraud is so fast and easy. I usually trim every time since it’s so fast and it’s easier than running them over the powered RCBS powered case prep center to re chamber.

Downside for me is having to hold the cases by hand. I run most calibers in batches of atleast 500, so when I trim it’s a lot at a time. As I’m getting older and my hands aren’t working as well I have to take breaks in my batches sometimes,
Look at K&M and get this:

Get the handle, the power adapter, and the grip ring. Total about $65 (was cheaper when I bought them but so is everything).

In much the same manner as the handle and collet of the Henderson, you can quickly and easily hold a case in this rig and isolate your fingers from vibration. Works great and is well made.