• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

POLL: What POWERED case trimmer do you use? NOT which do you think is best, but what did you actually buy?

Look at K&M and get this:

Get the handle, the power adapter, and the grip ring. Total about $65 (was cheaper when I bought them but so is everything).

In much the same manner as the handle and collet of the Henderson, you can quickly and easily hold a case in this rig and isolate your fingers from vibration. Works great and is well made.
As @Mike Casselton said above, don’t forget that you’ll need Lee case holders for that handle and power adapter.

Ah, good to know. Thanks.

I'm going to point out when you slide a piece of brass into the power adapter/handle combo. Make sure the opening is up. Tighten by turning the handle and the case stays centered. You also don't have to tighten it very much.

Reactions: lash
I've owned 7 of the trimmers on that list and sold 5 of them including the 21st century lathe, 2 Giraud's and 2 Henderson's...still have my Gen3 Henderson.
I kept the 21st century as it does more than trim and it is easy to switch out cartridges. Why the Gen3 Henderson over others? Always looking for ways to save time in the load room.

Reactions: Herb Stoner
I kept the 21st century as it does more than trim and it is easy to switch out cartridges. Why the Gen3 Henderson over others? Always looking for ways to save time in the load room.
Once you get your groove the Henderson it's fast and the cuts are super clean....changing calibers is as simple as swapping the cutter head and a bolt...while the 21st century does other things I did not care for how the case holder kinda flopped around and I had to feed it on to the button?and its slower than other trimmers....the Giraud's are fast but try doing 500 cases on one...your hand or hands are tired...I had other issues with both Giraud's I owned but they are petty and probably don't really matter at the end of the day.

You know me...I do not like reloading but its a necessary evil and anyway I can make it faster or less painful...remember I do EVERYTHING on a Dillon 750 except trim and charge....trim on the Henderson weigh on the V-4 and dump through a powder die.

Last edited:
Reactions: simonp
I'm going to point out when you slide a piece of brass into the power adapter/handle combo. Make sure the opening is up. Tighten by turning the handle and the case stays centered. You also don't have to tighten it very much.
ok mike i am putting my foot down . remove the dam spring . it takes all the fight out of it

Once you get your groove the Henderson it's fast and the cuts are super clean....changing calibers is as simple as swapping the cutter head and a bolt...while the 21st century does other things I did not care for how the case holder kinda flopped around and I had to feed it on to the button?and its slower than other trimmers....the Giraud's are fast but try doing 500 cases on one...your hand or hands are tired...I had other issues with both Giraud's I owned but they are petty and probably don't really matter at the end of the day.
Ever have any issue with the Henderson's pilot galling the inside of the case necks?

Some users have reported this issue, but I don't know why as it shouldn't be if the case necks or the pilots are the right size. The size of the pilot could be an issue for getting the desired neck tension. . . like having to do an extra step in the case prep???

It's not the fucking spring. It's the act of just holding stuff with my hands.

Three things affect my ability to hold stuff.
1. Duputryns contracture in both hands.
2. Arthritis.
3. Carpal tunnel.

All of the above cause pain, cramping and loss of grip strength.

Pushing forward to get past the 1.5 oz of spring pressure isn't the cause.

I've been wrenching on stuff since I was capable of holding a wrench or screwdriver.
That's been at least 55 years.
21 of those years working on aircraft fuel systems. For those that don't know, the couplings that hold the fuel lines are put together and tightened with your hand, acting as a strap wrench.
More times than I can count I lost all of my grip strength for days because of the trauma it causes to the hands and forearms.

That little spring isn't my issue.

2. Arthritis.
3. Carpal tunnel.

I've been wrenching on stuff since I was capable of holding a wrench or screwdriver.
21 of those years working on aircraft fuel systems. For those that don't know, the couplings that hold the fuel lines are put together and tightened with your hand, acting as a strap wrench.
More times than I can count I lost all of my grip strength for days because of the trauma it causes to the hands and forearms.

I hear yah. I know what you're talking about having also worked on aircraft. A lot of my work was on airframes holding bucking bars and rivet guns. 😵‍💫

2. Arthritis.
3. Carpal tunnel.

you dont know and will not know untill you remove the spring and try it . its night and day difference

i bought my lyman used . i asked the guy why he was selling it .its just as you describe its hard on the fingers . had he taken the spring out he would never of sold it

I’ve owned so many trimmers from complete manual jobs to the old Sinclair hand-cranked lathe thingy to drill-mounted ones to the Lyman and more. I threw most of them out when I got my Henderson. It might lose to the Giraud by a hair on raw speed but it more than makes up for that in comfort in my hands after a few hundred cases. And the cut quality and consistency is perfect.

I have the frankford platinum and it does a good job and is extremely repeatable, but I do want to upgrade to a giraud just so I don't have to chamfer and de burr.

i bought my lyman used . i asked the guy why he was selling it .its just as you describe its hard on the fingers . had he taken the spring out he would never of sold it
It's not just case trimming.
It's priming, it's seating bullets. It's resizing. It's wiping cases. It's holding them to inspect for defects.

It's handling anything in general that makes them hurt.
It doesn't even have to be reloading.

Doing dishes, folding laundry, holding a freaking cup of coffee by the handle. Eating a steak because I have to hold a fork and knife. Sleeping wrong. Holding the steering wheel. Brushing my teeth.

Hell, even scratching my ass to long makes my hand hurt.

I've been building a van into a camper. Doing the work, no matter what it is, HURTS.

I just got through wiring in two switches. Now my hands hurt again.

Trust me when I say, it ain't the spring.

One good thing comes from my hand and back pain though. Drinking good bourbon does actually help.

Here's what I don't do.

20240628_172848.jpg

Here's what I do.

20240628_172915.jpg

That little handle makes all the difference in the world. No pinching involved just a gentle hold and the palm pushes the brass forward.

I can't do five cases holding them by hand.
With the handle my back is the deciding factor.

This is what I don’t understand…on the Henderson you need to twist to open the collet, put new piece of brass in, then tighten the collet and push forward to trim.

With the Giraud and the K&M, you twist to loosen the K&M version of a collet sort of thing, put new piece of brass in it, twist to tighten, then push into the machine to trim.

Seems like essentially the same thing but perhaps I’m missing something.

Reactions: Baron85
Ever have any issue with the Henderson's pilot galling the inside of the case necks?

Some users have reported this issue, but I don't know why as it shouldn't be if the case necks or the pilots are the right size. The size of the pilot could be an issue for getting the desired neck tension. . . like having to do an extra step in the case prep???
No sir and I run .002 to .003 for NT...and if worried about the pilot being to rough or slightly over sized you could always chuck it up in a drill and spin it on some 2500 wet and dry to smooth it out plus the carbon in the neck acts as lube and its only in the neck for a few seconds.

Here's what I don't do.

View attachment 8448417

Here's what I do.

View attachment 8448418

That little handle makes all the difference in the world. No pinching involved just a gentle hold and the palm pushes the brass forward.

I can't do five cases holding them by hand.
With the handle my back is the deciding factor.
Have u ever considered removing the spring. It's a game changer. 🤣 I'm sorry I couldn't resist.

• Haha
I use a ~$100 Frankford Arsenal Universal Precision Case Trimmer and a Milwaukee M12 (lighter and less fatiguing to hold than a DeWalt 18v). I've cut out the bottom of one of those giant clear plastic Costco Animal Crackers containers so I can stick one hand in one side (holding the case), and the trimmer/drill in the other... All the shavings stay contained, no need for eyepro, and I can rip through a few hundred cases in no time. A modern cordless drill set on its fastest speed rips through soft brass like a hot knife through butter. ~1-Mississippi per case.

I chamfer/deburr in a separate step with a ~$50 Hornady Case Prep Duo thingy with a VLD chamfer head (basically a double-headed cordless drill with an always-on switch). 1-Mississippi (deburr), 2-Mississippi (chamfer).

It's not that I'm cheap... I just prefer tools that do one thing kick-ass rather than three things half-ass. I only trim my brass when I have to, and when I do, I take it down to minimum spec, so I don't mind two passes since it doesn't happen often.

I'd buy a Henderson if I actually thought it'd do a better job (I don't) or if I was a trim every firing/cycle guy (I'm not).

Last edited:
Reactions: Cr1775 and lash
Gorton 1-22 Mastermill with a Henderson 3 way or a Forster 3 way held in a collet, shell holder pinched in the vise or a collet closer - life changing trimming!!

Same goes for the lathe if you prefer to work horizontally 😎

Look at K&M and get this:

Get the handle, the power adapter, and the grip ring. Total about $65 (was cheaper when I bought them but so is everything).

In much the same manner as the handle and collet of the Henderson, you can quickly and easily hold a case in this rig and isolate your fingers from vibration. Works great and is well made.
Just ordered. $93 after shipping and a few shell holders. I will give it a try, thanks!

Reactions: lash and Baron23
LOL….

I have:
(2) Tri-Ways (223 & 308)
(1) Little Crow WFT (6.8 SPC)
(1) FA case prep. center (6.5CM)
(1) Dillon RT1200 setup for my Hornady AP press (223)

My favorite is the Tri-Ways. I probably should have just bought the full Giraud machine years ago.

Reactions: simonp