• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Possible 22-250 build

bohem

PVA's HMFIC
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
Southeast, PA
www.patriotvalleyarms.com
I have a 22 centerfire, full bull taper barrel that I bought several years ago in college. It was during that era where an $80 barrel blank was my monthly shooting budget, so it's not anything special, just an Adams and Bennet 26" blank.

My dad made me an offer that I'm seriously considering (since he's the gunsmith that did a lot of the work on my 30-06 that I like so much).

He doesn't want to buy a whole barrel for a tinkering project (he's turning a CZ52 into a 22 Reed Express) and he needs about 6" of the 26" barrel. He has an extra Brno Mauser complete action that needs a home and offered to trade me that action for the end of the barrel. My additional expense would be a Leupold base (I already have rings and decent glass sitting around) and a trigger.

Financially it's a great trade, but I don't know how a 22-250 would work in an 18" (roughly) barrel. Any thoughts? I'm aware that there's a movement for shorter, fatter barrels because they're stiffer than a 30" barrel, I'm more concerned with the lacking velocity issues I might see. The primary use would be dusting tannerite targets and woodchucks from ranges inside of 300 yards.