• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Probably not a new question for you guys, but???

BIKNBEAR

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2009
Hello all, new to the site, with a new guy dumb question, here goes,
I am building an AR in 223, 24 inch bull barrel, I plan on doing some varmint hunting, but also plan on doing some target, and long target shooting, so what scope do I buy...?? I am not scared to spend some money, but damn there are some REALLY expensive scopes, so far, I have a buddy that shoots, and recommends,a 22 MOA adapter plate, low rings, and either the Leupold 4.5-14 50mm, or an IOR in about the same specs, both with illuminated reticle,and mil dot sight,
OK, I am a complete retard with some of the stuff he explains, can some one give a dumb dumb , the low down in dumb dumb terms, and make some recommendations on your scope brands!
Thanks
Barry P

Re: Probably not a new question for you guys, but???

I'd recommend a variable power if you plan on varmint hunting as well.

While I only have experience with the Non-HD model 10X and 20X Super Snipers, the 3-9X seems to be a great scope and isn't that much money.

with a .223, you won't need anything beyond 9X anyway.

Re: Probably not a new question for you guys, but???

Your price will help determine a scope for you,but if you are seriously going to hunt varmints you'll need a higher magnification scope as them bastards are small! I'd say like 20-24x on the high end.You might try looking at the Bushnell 4200/6500 series,Sightron SIII, Nikon Monarch,Leupold VX3 to name a few.These are in the $600-$800 range and if you are looking for nice glass/solid scopes that's about the cheapest I would go.20 moa base will help you get out to longer ranges and still have scope adjustment left but is pushing it with a .223 as far as range.

Re: Probably not a new question for you guys, but?

I would love to stay at $1000 to 1400 or a little over, how about the SWFA stuff??? Input is greatly appreciated!
Again, I am a full Tard when it comes to this stuff, I just want to be a sniper!!

Re: Probably not a new question for you guys, but?

i think there is a video review of the swfa scope(s) on the homepage. cant speak for anything else. but in that price range, you have alot of choices. look on the www.midwayusa.com site. they carry and describe alot of different brands. you can get an idea of prices and features. more reference info may help your choice. good luck