• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

problem with ejecting wolf ammo Savage BTV .22lr

futurerider103

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2011
Springfield Mo
Crazy accurate but has problems ejecting these so today I loaded the mag and ejected the rounds without firing them after about 50 ejects and not a single problem ejecting I think the issue must be that after the round is fired the case is either pusfarther into the barrel or it is heated up enough that it expands and gets stuck anyone else have any other input? I did give it a very thorough cleaning today hopefully this will help

Re: problem with ejectin wolf ammo Savage BTV .22lr

This is an old thread on the subject http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1293364 The problem may actually be the brass being too soft on these cases. A brass case is supposed to expand and seal in the chamber during firing but then go back down once the pressure subsides. The Wolf brass may be expanding too much and then not releasing. I've never had problems with the Wolf ammo sticking in chambers yet, but I have had a few bulged rims that gave me the impression that there was something wrong with the brass. These rounds did not seem at all over powered or over pressured. I simply noted a bulge that seemed to be from a too soft or too weak brass case. You can try the suggestions in the old thread and see if they help alleviate the problem.

I had the same problem with cci subs and some lapua on my pre-e receiver btv, but only during summer months and after I had shot about 30-40 rounds continuously. A spent case would not extract and then the next round would jam trying to load from the mag. I dropped the mag and round from the action and then closed the bolt and it would usually extract fine after that. My gun is older, so an extractor replacement might be necessary. I don't know the complete history on it, or total round count, so I will probably replace it and see if it helps. Don's want to get rid of the btv because it has been accurate with the aforementioned ammo brands and is only serving as my loaner 22 for friends at the moment.

I have never had problems with my newer e-receiver mk2 with any ammo.

Sounds like an extraction problem. You may need to tighten the extractor "C" spring on your bolt. If you do, make sure that the "C" spring doesn't get installed backward... or if it's a used gun make sure you didn't get the gun with the "C" spring already installed backward (I had that happen to me with my Savage MKII BV).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 725franky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like an extraction problem. You may need to tighten the extractor "C" spring on your bolt. If you do, make sure that the "C" spring doesn't get installed backward... or if it's a used gun make sure you didn't get the gun with the "C" spring already installed backward (I had that happen to me with my Savage MKII BV). </div></div>
I did find some info on it but it seems you posted it before I could. It seems that either you can pinch the "C" clip a little bit or call savage and get another one to double it up to increase the spring tension. Also my spring clip was not in backwards.

That's exactly what you do; just pinch it a bit and retry it. On my gun, before I realized that the "C" spring was backward, I even sharpened the right (looking down the gun) extractor 'claw' to give it a little more grip.

There was a little bit of space, between the bolt face and the extractors, on my bolt; and, it wasn't extracting very good at all. Even when it was freshly cleaned it wouldn't eject a live round; and, it would only eject some of the fired cases ( I think the force of the round going off pushed the empty case back into the bolt enough to get the extractor to just get a little bit of grip on the rim).

Maybe things have been changed slightly as my gun is an older model pre-accutrigger and yours looks to be pretty new. I bought my gun used about 5-6 years ago...