• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Problem with Rem 700

Dackar

Private
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2010
Houston, Texas
Hello all. I just wanted to say what an outstanding source of information the hide is. I have been a lurker on here for a while before finally deciding to join.

I have ran into a bit of an issue. I am currently doing a remington model 700 build (5R stainless .308 )build and I finally got my stock in (AICS 2.0) I went and did a test fit and low and behold the rear bolt hole in my action does not line up with the stock. I managed to get my hands on a "donor" action to see if the holes were misaligned in the stock and that action dropped in with no problems.

I am pretty sure this isn't the first time this has happened to someone and I failed to glean and information regarding this issue. My main question is where to go from here? I am certain the stock is within spec. Should I get a gunsmith to take measurements on the action on my rifle to make sure it is in spec and if it is out of spec I am guessing contact remington? I bought with rifle brand new so it is still under warranty. Thanks in advance and I apologize if this is a bit of a repeated thread.

Re: Problem with Rem 700

It is a stainless 5r .308 cal model 700. The stock is a short action and the action on my rifle is a short action as well. I wrote down the measurements I did on the hole spacing on both actions. I can't seem to locate my notes or my dial caliper either at the present moment.

That looks like that is the issue. I didn't realize that the x-mark is wider than the standard factory trigger assembly and also I am not going to be using the x-mark anyways. Thanks all for the help. Now to get this thing sent off and built.

I dropped my 5r .308 right into the AICS 2.0 without any problem, mine also has the x-mark pro trigger, maybe I got lucky
smile.gif
. If you are sending it off for the build, I'm sure your gunsmith will be able to fit it for you.

If you go with a Jewell it will need the inlet as well. Timney will need a relief in front of the trigger body, and maybe a shilen will as well.

but if you are sending it off to get built, I am sure the gunsmith will make sure it is all fit up properly.

DD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Target In Sight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dropped my 5r .308 right into the AICS 2.0 without any problem, mine also has the x-mark pro trigger, maybe I got lucky
smile.gif
. If you are sending it off for the build, I'm sure your gunsmith will be able to fit it for you.</div></div>

They are inletting the newer AICS for the jewell/x-mark IIRC, not sure which version Dackar has, but it has been a common problem with those wider triggers in the past.

If something is ever off just a hair, and its a precision machined piece of equipment, its likely because it isn't situated just right. Being in a bind here or there will keep it from seating as it should.

Kelly

I knew about the issues with the Jewel triggers and AICS needing inletting. I just didn't know the x-mark needed that as well. I think I must have ended up with an older AICS. I am just relieved that I didn't have a huge problem on my hands and can finally get my rifle assembled.

I am putting a CG jackson mod 22 trigger in my rifle. I am not sure if inletting is needed for the mod 22. I seem to kind of remember the mod 21 needed inletting. I could be wrong on that one.

I am not sure on the model 22 vs the 21 either, but the first series of CG needed inletting in front of the trigger body, in a different place than the X-Mark/Jewell. But as you say, if your action holes look better now, then your smith should be able to do the rest..

good luck with the project

DD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you go with a Jewell it will need the inlet as well. Timney will need a relief in front of the trigger body, and maybe a shilen will as well.

but if you are sending it off to get built, I am sure the gunsmith will make sure it is all fit up properly.

DD </div></div>

If you have a shilen trigger it should fit just fine in your factory AICS 1.5 or 2.0 stocks. I have had both a black 2.0 and a Olive drab 1.5 on my 5-R that has a shilen trigger on it and it fit no problem at all.