Prs rifle choice

FrozenMinnesotan

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2018
Ne MN
I'm looking to do a few matches a year, club style matches going from 600 to 1100 yards. I have 2 rifles I can use.

1) rem722 308 20" will be braked
2) rem 700 223 8t 26" can or braked
The 308 balances just in front of magwell, 223 about 5" forward.
Which would.you choose? The 223 shoots 73gr eldm great. The 308 shoots 168gr eld well also. Both set up the same. Not looking to win but be competitive and have fun.
1000019280.jpg
1000019281.jpg

I look forward to trying the 223 out. Any recommendations on 10rd mags? I have accurate mag 5rds and alot of the time rounds nose dive.

MDT poly 10 round mags work great in my .223.

You might want to check the feed ramp on your 700 and the oal of your rounds and make sure that is not causing the nose dives. You can notch or grind back the feed ramp as it’s not needed with the AICS mags.

You might want to check the feed ramp on your 700 and the oal of your rounds and make sure that is not causing the nose dives. You can notch or grind back the feed ramp as it’s not needed with the AICS mags.
They nose dive b4 I even run bolt forward. Once I eject the spent round, next round is already down like back came up but front drug

I really like that 722, looks like it has a pretty stout barrel.
I concur with most here that the .223 is probably your best choice.
If you get the itch to shoot that .308, see if you can develop a 155 grain load that it likes. You'll reduce recoil.
The 155 ELD M has a very similar BC to the 168 SMK, though the BC is significantly lower than the 178, you can make up much of that with the increased velocity.

I do too. Especially since I got the barreled action for $450 with a timney trigger. I don't reload yet but plan to next spring. I still.need to get a stock and scope for it, these were used for testing. Only gripe is neck is tight at .336 and I'm having a buddy open it up to Saami spec so I can run factory ammo reliably. We measured the twist at 1:14 but we could be wrong. Shoots 168gr hornady around .6"

No, I have not tried a bravo. I have just found that if I cannot reach the bipod with my support hand from behind the rifle, it is too far out for me. That bit me in the ass once “on the clock.” If I am not mistaken, I went home and bought a full length arca rail for that gun. If it wasn’t immediately after, it was before the next match.

That said, the stocks you posted do look kinda short on the fore end.

Reactions: Cody S and BurtG
No, I have not tried a bravo. I have just found that if I cannot reach the bipod with my support hand from behind the rifle, it is too far out for me. That bit me in the ass once “on the clock.” If I am not mistaken, I went home and bought a full length arca rail for that gun. If it wasn’t immediately after, it was before the next match.

That said, the stocks you posted do look kinda short on the fore end.
They are short.

I really like that 722, looks like it has a pretty stout barrel.
I concur with most here that the .223 is probably your best choice.
If you get the itch to shoot that .308, see if you can develop a 155 grain load that it likes. You'll reduce recoil.
The 155 ELD M has a very similar BC to the 168 SMK, though the BC is significantly lower than the 178, you can make up much of that with the increased velocity.

He is shooting the 168 ELD-M now which is a perfect bullet for his needs in a match. Has a great BC for weight and he can get them going plenty fast enough. He won't gain anything going to a 155 in a 20" barrel and lose BC.

Nothing fun about shooting a 20” braked 308 all day.

Sure there is. You are shooting a match. It's fun. A 20" with a brake is just fine for recoil and is not punishing at all.

Reactions: kthomas
Suppressed .223 will definitely be more enjoyable, just 2 things to consider:
1: Don't break the 3200 3,000 ft/s speed limit (for Tactical Division) *credit to Rob01 for the correction.
2: .223 can be difficult to spot misses depending on the berm conditions

Last edited:
Suppressed .223 will definitely be more enjoyable, just 2 things to consider:
1: Don't break the 3200 ft/s speed limit
2: .223 can be difficult to spot misses depending on the berm conditions

Limit is 3000fps for .223 in TAC division which is what he should be shooting n with his .223.

Reactions: Jack_L
Those are the lessons you don’t forget.

Why Il never use a “rear bag “ again. Game changer has much more versatility. Read bag didn’t have enough height
I learned that same lesson, but only after buying too many rear bags that were supposed to be “the greatest” but really sucked.

Reactions: BurtG

Second the poly mags and I can stuff 12 in mine. The first round feed tight tho

Have you looked at the heavy accessories for the butt of the bravo? Might be able to bring that weight a little more centered
No reason to buy accessories just for weight. Fill the rear with some lead shot and you will be fine with rear weight for cheap.

• Love
Reactions: Cody S
Rebarrel the 308 Into 6.5cm or 6 creed. That's your best bet becuase both options you have kinda suck for distances you plan to shoot.

.308 dominates .223 in tac class becuase of higher BC bullets and ability to spot hits/misses. If your matches were all inside 700, then .223 makes more sense but at those distances good luck spotting.

Personally I would run the 308. Something like the new 169 smk, 175 berger otm or the 176 atip. You are loosing velocity and ballance but the BC and ability to see your misses mean more imo. You can add weight to bravo via steel arca rail too.

If you just want to get out and shoot then run what you brung and have fun. But if you want to be semi successfull and develop your skills...then you need to run gear that's not holding you back. A simple rebarrel to a competent caliber and increase in weight is going to make a huge difference in the shootability and putting rounds on steel.

223 is a whole lot of fun if you are on your game, but if you are off a little you very well may never see where and it becomes frustrating.
308 is rougher, especially in a 16lb package but youll see where you missed at much more often if you can control the recoil which can equal more points.

So I say it depends on how you intend to enjoy competing; casually going out and see what you can do vs trying to compete compete.

223 is a whole lot of fun if you are on your game, but if you are off a little you very well may never see where and it becomes frustrating.
308 is rougher, especially in a 16lb package but youll see where you missed at much more often if you can control the recoil which can equal more points.

So I say it depends on how you intend to enjoy competing; casually going out and see what you can do vs trying to compete compete.
Mostly fun. I don't got the time nor the funds to get real serious. Most of my shooting is under 600 yards anyway.

Those are the lessons you don’t forget.

Why Il never use a “rear bag “ again. Game changer has much more versatility. Read bag didn’t have enough height

I've never liked using a game changer type bag as rear support. I find a rear bag much more versatile.

But different things work for different people.

Reactions: BurtG
@FrozenMinnesotan - either will work, I wouldn't overthink it. I would take turns shooting your two rifles at matches, and see what works best for you.

And most importantly, when you start shooting matches just remember you are there for a good time, enjoy! It's a steep learning curve at first, and it can be demoralizing to see (very) low scores on your first couple of matches, but the scores will come!

@FrozenMinnesotan - either will work, I wouldn't overthink it. I would take turns shooting your two rifles at matches, and see what works best for you.

And most importantly, when you start shooting matches just remember you are there for a good time, enjoy! It's a steep learning curve at first, and it can be demoralizing to see (very) low scores on your first couple of matches, but the scores will come!
Thanks. Won't be my first match. Just first past 600

Reactions: kthomas