• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing PRS top gunsmiths

I wonder how many of those folks were given the rifle through sponsorship, versus how many bought it with their money. They are fantastic rifles from the few experiences I have with them, just on the pricy side (as most things in this hobby).

I can tell you right now, that almost none were given a rifle. These guys often just receive discounted barrel work and/or priority for work needed to be done. Its rare that sponsors actually give stuff away in PRS to their shooters. I will tell you that the top sponsored shooters don't care who their sponsors are. They will run what works and what is reliable.

Last edited:
I can tell you right now, that almost none was given a rifle. These guys often just receive discounted barrel work and/or priority for work needed to be done. Its rare that sponsors actually give stuff away in PRS to their shooters. I will tell you that the top sponsored shooters don't care who their sponsors are. They will run what works and what is reliable.

C'mon. Are you telling me Team AI buy their rifles ? I love my AI but let's realise what's happening in the sport.

This sort of survey was great 3-4 years ago but today it's usefulness is questionable. I'm not digging the Sponsors...good on them for supporting the sport but if you really believe the data points to anything material you are kidding yourself. Shooters flip flopping between Sponsors is increasing in velocity and it would be interesting to measure how much of this is going on. I'm not saying it's a bad thing but let's not leave the new shooter with the impression that what is used by the top shooters is the best.

I can tell you right now, that almost none were given a rifle. These guys often just receive discounted barrel work and/or priority for work needed to be done. Its rare that sponsors actually give stuff away in PRS to their shooters. I will tell you that the top sponsored shooters don't care who their sponsors are. They will run what works and what is reliable.

...almost none....we have.

C'mon. Are you telling me Team AI buy their rifles ? I love my AI but let's realise what's happening in the sport.

This sort of survey was great 3-4 years ago but today it's usefulness is questionable. I'm not digging the Sponsors...good on them for supporting the sport but if you really believe the data points to anything material you are kidding yourself. Shooters flip flopping between Sponsors is increasing in velocity and it would be interesting to measure how much of this is going on. I'm not saying it's a bad thing but let's not leave the new shooter with the impression that what is used by the top shooters is the best.

quit looking at it as a "what's best..." ...its a WHAT WORKS...if the gear didnt work, they wouldnt be at the top...

and top AI at the finale, was bought and paid for in full ;)

Years ago I went to a course offered via the Dept of State to get my BFOC cert. "Caz", the lead instructor made a very notable point to all of us.

Rookies: Focus on equipment.

Veterans: Focus on procedure.

I found that very interesting. When I first started tinkering with stuff I was obsessed with tools, parts, etc... Now days, its more about integrating them into the whole picture as eloquently as I can.

Betting the top "Gamer Gunners" are doing much of the same. Just a thought...

The reason most guys are on the top in PRS is practice and dedication, not sponsored gear. If they get product from their sponsor, good for them. They also actually use their gear. How many SH'ers burn up 3-5 barrels in a summer? Even if they have a smith sponsoring them with barrels, they are buying all the bullets, brass and powder to do that. Competing at the top level ain't easy or cheap, I hope sponsors start to give more and more to their guys, maybe even paying for matches and travel. Cheers to the guys out there shooting and the sponsors taking care of them.

Chad, I know a few companies have, but for the most part its fairly rare, correct? Thats a pretty loose statement, but when it comes to sponsored shooters there are quite a lot of them out there and I'd say the vast majority has paid for their gear rather than been given rifles, gear, etc.

It's about like anything else. The top .1 of a percent are likely the ones who might enjoy gear that is 100% supported by the sponsor. Same as when a guy goes racing. The key is winning. It gets the attention of people in a position to help out.

So, I would likely suspect in that context you are correct. That said there's been more than one shooter that I've sponsored on a considerable portion of my personal dime. Simply because I either believed in them enough to do it, or because I knew there was just no earthly way they'd be able to run without help. -Can't save em all obviously, but sometimes a puppy looks at you just right and you can't help yourself.

If it doesn't work the top shooters don't use it.... I personally know 2 of AI's shooters and they bought their rifles, sure wasn't given to them.

If you look at the archery side of things, some of the pros go to where the money is, not the best equipment necessarily. Some of the lower end bow mfgs started spending big $$$ on sponsorship and continguency $$$ pulling some top talent to their bows - this of course drives visibility and sales ... archery used to be dominated by Hoyt and Matthews - now have a look - there are 4-5 new comers who over the last 5 years paid for talent to shoot their gear (and this talent has mostly come back to the top 2)

It was a thought that crossed my mind. I am more familiar with folks from the USPSA side of the world, when sponsorship's really have a chance at driving the gear a person uses. In that same note, any one of the top shooters could be given a stock, sub standard gun, and I could have the coolest, top of the line custom gun, and still get destroyed. I understand the same is true in long range shooting. Those who dedicate the time to mastering the skills needed are the ones who win. Sometimes what gear they use, is more of secondary importance as long as it functions, because they have the skill set required to win.

And if the folks that shoot on the AI team still had to buy their rifles, that will probably make them better ambassadors for the product, because they had to put forth their own money. It is easier to represent a product when you believe in it, and are invested into it.

The ever increasing list of gunsmiths that are in the top 100 PRS shooters hands tells me that there are a LOT of quality gunsmiths out there and that good shooters can win with any of their rifles in their hand.

Look at benchrest shooters, there are a heck of a lot of guys who do their own barrel work. Lots of guys with a lathe in their basement who can make a gun good enough to run circles around the typical PRS accuracy requirements. The PRS guys are winning because they are good shooters, not because of their gear.

Now when looking at a gunsmith the more important questions are... are they going to do their best work every single time? Do they have good processes in place to make sure that happens over hundreds/thousands of barrels a year? Are they going to stand behind their work? Are they going to get you what you need in the lead time they promised, soon enough for you to be able to use it?

Looking at the list of who the PRS shooters use is as much a vote of confidence in those things, rather than just which one is "best".

The ever increasing list of gunsmiths that are in the top 100 PRS shooters hands tells me that there are a LOT of quality gunsmiths out there and that good shooters can win with any of their rifles in their hand.

Look at benchrest shooters, there are a heck of a lot of guys who do their own barrel work. Lots of guys with a lathe in their basement who can make a gun good enough to run circles around the typical PRS accuracy requirements. The PRS guys are winning because they are good shooters, not because of their gear.

Now when looking at a gunsmith the more important questions are... are they going to do their best work every single time? Do they have good processes in place to make sure that happens over hundreds/thousands of barrels a year? Are they going to stand behind their work? Are they going to get you what you need in the lead time they promised, soon enough for you to be able to use it?

Looking at the list of who the PRS shooters use is as much a vote of confidence in those things, rather than just which one is "best".

100% accurate.

If it's true that the gunsmiths on that list aren't giving out free or heavily discounted work to top shooters, they're pretty crappy businessmen. Lol! Being on that list will surely drive huge numbers of PRS fanboys and wannabes to them; equating to big dollars and tons of work. I've been involved I other shooting sports regimens as well as the hunting profession and that's just how it works - it benefits all parties involved. If it's not happening yet, it sure will be. Aside from the gunsmiths, the other component/equipment manufacturers are damn sure giving out discounted and free stuff to folks who they feel can promote their products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk